• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Train Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Rollercoasters4Life said:
Alastair said:
Rollercoasters4Life said:
Rob said:
And just to really put it to bed, here are Gerstlauer's lap bars on Dare Devil Dive:

9ktjb0003hle1l2n724l24.jpg

Clearly not the same as we have here. Yet what we have is identical to the bottom of Gerst's OTSRs, which all in all equals OTSRs. I'm not at all disappointed as it's what I've been fully expecting for a while now.

:)

Just to disprove the idea of Gerstlauer Lapbars even more:

azj978.jpg

This is the best picture I could get of Iron Shark's Trains so you can see the restraints.

Those are T-bar style, whilst DDD's are over the head style. They couldn't be more different in terms of lapbar design!

Gerstlauer have done two types of lapbars - Rob showed you one and I showed you the other. I disproved Iron Sharks type, and it also looks like Rob has disproved DDD lapbars.

Yes, they've done two types of lapbars. And they are currently being used on just two coasters, one each. My point was that it's seemingly not out of character for them to experiment with lapbar design - and what better time to experiment than with an £18m budget?

Rob said:
Well we can 100% rule out T-bar restraints, and isn't that what those who expected lap bars based on some of the very small promotional images were expecting? This does prove that the trains in some of the promotional images were not accurate though, no surprises there for me!

Shame - those trains looked amazing.

I do get the distinct impression that the basic train design has been "known" by various forumites for a long time, but they haven't been able to confirm this by any official means (which is no doubt a contributing factor to the incredibly frustrating OTSR vs lap bar debate)

Gerstlauer have done two different lapbars so far - the first was Dare Devil Dive:

9ktjb0003hle1l2n724l24.jpg

As you can see, there are only two seats per row. The seats on The Smiler are not that spread out and look like Saw's in relation to gap between seats. To me it rules out the bar coming down the side. The bottom section of The Smilers restraints look nothing like DDD's also.

BGc8wogCMAEMeB-.jpg:large

The next type of Gerstlauer lapbar is the one on Iron Shark:

azj978.jpg

Yet again, they look nothing a like.

So to sum up, unless they are new lapbar type restraints then this will have OTSR.

Anyone who still believes there will be anything other than standard Eurofighter OTSRs is, frankly, desperate.
We have conclusive proof now.

Yay, Gerst-ache ::)

DiogoJ42 said:
Anyone who still believes there will be anything other than standard Eurofighter OTSRs is, frankly, desperate.
We have conclusive proof now.

Yay, Gerst-ache ::)

I never once hit my head on Saws restraint, its the train jolts that give me GerstAche and Speed has OTSR and doesn't give me gerst ache.

Smiler might have gerstache but the restraint type is not really relevant.

Usually I would agree with you on that. (vibrations being the main cause of Gerst-ache over restraint-impact). But this season Saw is riding as rough as Infusion, so a head beating is all you remember :/

Meh, Saw is a headbeater.Whenever I ride it I have a huge headache and last time I rode it on fright nights I went home with a lump on my head it was that bad! I hope and pray The Smiler has no such problem.
*prays* :D

I must be the only one who doesn't find Saw in any way painful. Call me crazy and possibly insane, but Saw is my favourite coaster on the actual park.

So if The Smiler rides like Saw, I won't be bothered to be honest.

Looks like they will be filming an advert against that green screen.

Well this solves a few things once and for all. Standard Gerst OTSRs, but not two standard Eurofighter trains bolted together.

Really different, I like then ALOT.

Also anyone notice where they are located?

Roger Ramrod said:
Do the actual cars themselves have little airgates on...? Or do you have to climb in...?

I'd assume it would fold down, or else getting in might be a little awkward :/

Wow I like those trains a lot! ;D

And yeah, definitely OTSRs now! ;)

I think the trains look really good!
Nice to see the new restraints that seem to be a little more open to allow more freedom! Good work!

Also, the optical illusion will really confuse riders and it is a great touch to add that little bit extra to 'Marmalisation'.

I think that the ride cars will be lower than the station platform too so that the 'barrier' wont be a problem.

I'm liking this ride more and more every day!
Well done Alton Towers and Gerstlauer!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.