• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Train Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Fine, but I do find it ironic that we've already been given an image of what I'm certain are the actual carriages and yet this debate is still going on:

smilerlapbars.jpg

That's no render or re-colour of another ride, what we are looking at here is The Smilers train ;)

Even if the rest of the image has a lot of dodgy photoshopping.

But those look like a combination of OTSR and lap bars, a kind of S&S El Loco design sort of thing. The person in the second row is definitely holding what appears to be a kind of OTSR, but then there are the classic lap bars that appear to be off the laps of the riders.

I don't think you can believe in any of the pictures we've seen, as they're most likely to be from the marketing department of Merlin, who are possibly completely clueless, and most likely to assume that with a high thrill inverting coaster such as this, there will be OTSR. You can't conclude from these pictures either that there's lap bars, as it is very unclear from the image if it's actually lap bars, or a random thing attached to the train.

Tim said:
We'll have to agree to disagree then.

You see the problem I have is that based on the rides design I have a mental image in my head of what the carts need to look like in order for them to be able to function. Things like the rough width between each cart, its shape and proportions ect... remember I studied Engineering, I kind of have a feel for these things ;)

Anyway the point I’m making is that most of the marketing does not match up with this. To me everything about it looks wrong... except for two pictures, the one in Mutiny Bay (see below) and the one from The Sun. Both of these two images have proper engineering proportions but more importantly are unique and not a re-coloured version of some other rides trains. Therefore I am in no doubt that these are what the trains will look like.

As it turns out both of these images show a design that appears to have lap bars, therefore I must conclude that this is what the trains will have. Simple logic.

This design is just too accurate to have been made just for marketing purposes:

563079_442379089165283_1219778077_n.jpg

Exactly my thinking. Why go to the effort of creating a whole new train from scratch complete with branded design, as well as the side on view of what look like real trains when that's not what's actually going to be used. I could right now get a picture of a B&M OTSR and photoshop it onto a poster. That's easy and therefore, in my view, not what we'll see.

I scanned back through the topic until I found some mention of Blue Fire's restraint system - this is what I had in mind.

However although the forces of a coaster tend to keep you fairly pinned to your seat, I can't help but feel that the very sudden and relentless nature of the inversions here would mean OTSRs would be vital for your comfort and safety?

As I mentioned on another forum where I was completely ignored, I think the idea of OTSRs is similar to those of strait-jackets (also mentioned by another member here in their signature, I think), and they could even be themed as such (although I doubt they will be).

I can also imagine that the 'mamalisation' elements might invoke a 'dodge' reaction in riders (like people who stand up on rapids and flumes) and it would be dangerous if people were trying to squirm out of the way of water jets, back prods, etc. Not that these have been confirmed either, but it's just a thought.

Laura said:
However although the forces of a coaster tend to keep you fairly pinned to your seat, I can't help but feel that the very sudden and relentless nature of the inversions here would mean OTSRs would be vital for your comfort and safety?

As I mentioned on another forum where I was completely ignored, I think the idea of OTSRs is similar to those of strait-jackets (also mentioned by another member here in their signature, I think), and they could even be themed as such (although I doubt they will be).

I can also imagine that the 'mamalisation' elements might invoke a 'dodge' reaction in riders (like people who stand up on rapids and flumes) and it would be dangerous if people were trying to squirm out of the way of water jets, back prods, etc. Not that these have been confirmed either, but it's just a thought.

I am the person with the world's first straight-jacket restraint system lol. I also thought it would be the fastest accelerating coaster (over short distance). I am also one of the chief proponents for Lap Bars - for your own credibility, I wouldn't reference me too much ha-ha ;)

The points you make for the benefit of being OTSRs though, are rather difficult to find fault with. I still believe it will have an unusual restraint system due to the artwork mentioned - however more reasons are stacking up for the sense in actually having OTSRs, Gerstlauer or not lol!

Some people mistake my belief in Lap Bars, for that of a preference towards them - something I am not actually sure I have now - especially after making those points Laura.

Interesting thoughts though. Ones I hadn't really considered either.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :twirly:

;D

I think people have an idea that lapbars means a seat with a bar, when most modern lapbars such as Blue Fire include the seat as part of the restraint. Your lateral movement is restricted by the sides of the chair and the lapbar holds you down.

I'm not convinced by the argument that OTSRs are better for sudden movements. The opposite is true in my experience, with OTSRs when your head is thrown about by the sudden movement, it comes to a sudden, painful, stop against the OTSR.

I'd like lapbars, but only because previous personal experience has shown that Gert OTSRs aren't that comfy!

I have always had that above problem with OTSRs (especially on SAW and Speed which are the closest comparison) and I can't really think of any way it could be avoided :( Mind you I have had rides on SAW that haven't shaken my head around at all, so it seems to depend on how the cars are running at the time somewhat.

I think the restraint system on Blue Fire (technically blue fire without capitals, right? :p) are absolutely wonderful and (not knowing a great deal about physics) if they COULD work safely for The Smiler then I'd be overjoyed if they were implemented!

All this talk of restraints is getting me all hot and bothered!

;)

I don't really care what ends up on the trains, as long as the ride is smooth.

If the ride has OTSR and is smooth with hardly any head-banging then its fine.

On the other hand...

If the ride is rough in terms of throwing you around intensely then lapbars is a must - Gerst-ache and this beast of a ride = no re-ride ability and an uncomfortable ride maybe to the point of it becoming unenjoyable.

Lets hope for a smooth ride, or lapbars. :)

Didn't really want to bring this up as this debate really is going around in circles but I noticed today that Stealth's Die-Cast had trains that look nothing like Stealth's actual trains, and Thorpe's other rides had questionable models as well.

But that didn't stop it looking great and (if die-casts were my thing) wouldn't have stopped me buying it. These details really don't matter as long as the ride looks recognisable.

BGcUGKWCQAAm-Yo.jpg

There's an image of the wrapped trains from the Alton Towers Twitter Feed.

Now, can anyone find an image of Gerst cars with OSTR / lap bars wrapped up so we can compare :D

TO THE GERST VAULTS

;)

Though unfortunately there is no guarantee these are typical Gerst trains and there is also no guarantee they have been delivered with the harnesses attached. Coaster trains are often delivered without their restraints for ease of transport.

Ooooh I like that a lot!! And they look identidal to the bottom of Gerstlauer's OTSRs:

mm8gd8lpo97i0e34002s8b.jpg

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.