• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Theme Park Worldwide

Can we not discuss the ins and outs of Shawn's work life on the forum. It seems totally inappropriate.
If someone puts himself 'out there' and has in the past has talked about working at the park on his videos, it doesn't feel completely out of line to discuss whether he is still working there or not (I don't know).

Shawn has today made an entrance into the world of theme park documentaries with this stunning documentary about American Adventure:

Fantastic documentary, and hopefully the start of a prosperous series for Shawn! Also taught me some things I didn't know about American Adventure!

I never managed to go to AA. It looked like I missed a gem in its early days, and was thankful to have not been introduced to the place in its later years, as it kept the name but lost its spirit.
The "little Shawn" stuff showed how far back his enthusiasm goes back.
A pretty good little programme.

Yup, was happy to tell me he had left Merlins employ when we bumped into each other more than once stalking the Icon construction.
Came across as friendly and very down to earth, decent young chap.
I'm an old northern git gardener so I don't do vlogs and blogs, just clogs and logs.

If someone puts himself 'out there' and has in the past has talked about working at the park on his videos, it doesn't feel completely out of line to discuss whether he is still working there or not (I don't know).
I totally agree, he's on youtube and wants you to comment and like his videos, same on here, folk should be comfortable to post what they like.

Interesting reading some people's comments on here about how the reason they like the TPW videos is because they capture the feel of the parks. That's fair enough, although the reason I don't like vlogs is because I feel they don't capture it at all.

They seem like they do, while youre sat at home watching them, but they don't really. Whatever the vlogger says or does is what people tend to take away from. You gotta go there and enjoy it yourself with friends, it's the only way.

The worst aspect of this are all the vultures who descend on things like Wicker man opening just because they know it'll guarantee themselves views, including giving away spoilers like the preshow. Some really do care about the thing they're filming. But it's easy to see most are just posing for the attention and saying what you want to hear.

I have bumped into Shawn a couple times and agree he isn't the insufferable person he can appear to be in videos, he's just your average enthusiast and he's sociable. But like I said before it's not how he is in real life that I take any issue with at all (he can do what he likes).

The problem is the huge pedestal people put him (and others) on, simply because they've seen him online. And the legion of copy cat vloggers all addicted to filming themselves and walking around parks repeating the same things.

I happened to be there when Wicker Man opened to the public and it was a genuinly fun day. But boy were there a lot of people paying far too much attention to their cameras instead of just enjoying themselves. Out of curiosity I clicked on a few of the vlogs from that day afterwards, they captured none of what made that day so fun at all in my opinion. So that was an interesting thing to learn.

Another thing that's taken off recently are theme park 'documentaries' that are just facts repackaged from wikipedia with google images, and suddenly being taken as gospel. I'll watch the new TPW one with an open mind, hopefully it's different :)

As I've said I enjoy watching Theme Park World Wide but over the past few weeks i've noticed a distinct change in the channel.

While I like checking out new parks it seems that TPWW are now being "Invited" to parks across the UK. Now i'm not sure of the exact details but it seems like the team are getting free access to the attractions and while they are there are getting free food and up charge rides (if applicable) They maybe even getting extra benefits such as expenses or even payment.

I think if the parks are basically paying for a review then the channel needs to be totally clear upfront if they are being paid. It may even be in the YouTube conditions.

The past few videos (Isle of white parks) are a good example of how a review can be skewed if there is money involved. In these videos the parks are very small and lacking attractions yet Shawn is repeatedly praising how good they are and even comparing them constantly to Alton Towers and how "Even Alton Towers don't have this..." I think these changes started a few months ago at the start of the season with Drayton Manor but obviously it's not clear.

Is anyone any clearer on the rules of disclosure for paid advertising on Youtube? Has anyone else noticed a change in the video style?

Last edited:
Is anyone any clearer on the riles of disclosure for paid advertising on Youtube?
YouTube has a system which if there is paid promotion involved they have to make it clear by selecting a button on the upload page, I believe it's something to do with UK Advertising laws.

This video should explain the rules of product placement. So if Shawn is being paid then YouTube need to be informed.

I'm guessing if this button is pressed then YouTube flags it up the the user with a card in the video?I've never seen anything like this?

What I normally see is that the start the reviewer/vlogger presents a statement where they tel us that they have received payment and so this is a biased review.

I could tell that some things were a bit too positive for a review but as I have been to both parks (more Robin Hill) multiple times, what Shawn said about them was mostly right. At the end of the day, just always be aware that any media can be censored or designed to show a specific viewpoint so as long as you are aware of it, it shouldn't be a problem

Plenty of youtubers are now doing paid "and now a word from my sponsor" segments in their videos. Lindybiege will often go on a full five minute sidetrack about whatever online learning site he's getting money from. Hell, Jay Forman will write and sing a custom song for his sponsor and work it in to his videos!
.... I always fast forward them on principal.

If you must take the money, you should be honest about it.

Last edited:
Plenty of youtubers are now doing paid "and now a word from my sponsor" segments in their videos. Lindybeige will often go on a full five minute sidetrack about whatever online learning site he's getting money from. Hell, Jay Forman will write and sing a custom song for his sponsor and work it in to his videos!
.... I always fast forward them on principal.

If you must take the money, you should be honest about it.
I sometimes watch a YouTube channel called Linus Tech Tips, and he often has sponsor adverts in his videos. He has about 5 million subscribers, mind.

Yeah, I don't really have a massive problem if he is getting paid as long as he states this at the start.

Something like " Here is my Review from Croftyland, In the interests of full disclosure Croftyland have paid for my visit today and my opinions may reflect this" or "My opinions will be honest and unbiased"

Theres also a big difference between Adverts which are obvious in a video and paid influence which I would sayis going on in these style vlogs

This video though was quite good (eventhough was an advert, actually was quite interesting).

Bloggers/vloggers often get free tickets for PR reasons, even smalltime ones.

This is most the reason why some do vlogging to be honest (having spoken to some), since it's so effortless to make a vlog or write a post and you get a free day out of it.

The major parks also invite them to media events such as new ride launches, so where the product placement begins and ends it's hard to tell.

Vloggers are always going to be rose tinted because they want the PR relationship with the park, so it's already kind of biased before any direct deal is in place.

I know of some blogs that are run by people who actually work in a theme park's PR department, suspiciously singing praises about the park for which its their job to promote. They don't make this clear on the page obviously, which is disingenuous

Last edited:
What has become annoying is that videos now incorporate the advert midway through to battle ad blockers, because I don't want some nonsense when watching stuff...

I know exactly the blog you're on about there TYM, tis quite amusing that situation really, throws any bias into question in terms of general content...

What has become annoying is that videos now incorporate the advert midway through to battle ad blockers, because I don't want some nonsense when watching stuff...

I know exactly the blog you're on about there TYM, tis quite amusing that situation really, throws any bias into question in terms of general content...
Double tap to skip 10 seconds is good for skipping those. After watching so many Linus Tech Tips videos you can tell when one is coming on.