• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thirteen: General Discussion

This might sound like a random question, but why did Thirteen have pre and post watershed adverts?

I’ve watched them both, and I’m struggling to see why the post-watershed advert was too mature for a pre-watershed audience. The only thing I can potentially think of is the girl getting enveloped by the vines, but even with that, I’m struggling to see why that is inherently post-watershed material.

Here are both adverts, if you don’t know what I’m talking about:

It's probably mainly a markerting stunt, but also, as you say, to do with that girl. For the record, when I first discovered the post-watershed TH13TEEN advert aged 8 or 9, I found it terrifying, especially the close-up of the girl's eye (I still am a little squeamish about eye close-ups, even though I now love horror films).

The marketing was very captivating and the ride remains a popular queue-eater today. Its launch was a huge success on all counts.

The movement of the train in the adverts was not exaggerated in any way but just presented in a hugely effective theatrical manner. They would do well to get back to this level of marketing because it delivered in every sense of the word.

They would do well to get back to this level of marketing because it delivered in every sense of the word.
As shown by the fact that Alton Towers attracted 3,011,000 people (according to Tales from the Towers) in 2010, the second largest attendance Towers has ever had.

Will it be able to run in the rain this season? I hope so. Really embarrassing for it not be able to in the UK of all places.

I asked the question today….

Wouldn’t say either way. Last season at the beginning it was, rode it in the rain a few times. I don’t think it can operate in heavy rain at all, or at least they don’t.

It really is pathetic if they haven’t sorted the issue over winter, even more so now there is no other support ride in that area anymore.

Reactions: Tom
I asked the question today….

Wouldn’t say either way. Last season at the beginning it was, rode it in the rain a few times. I don’t think it can operate in heavy rain at all, or at least they don’t.
Not many coasters do run in very heavy rain, partly due to guest comfort but also because heavy rain can trigger sensors causing emergency stops

Last edited:
The marketing was very captivating and the ride remains a popular queue-eater today. Its launch was a huge success on all counts.

The movement of the train in the adverts was not exaggerated in any way but just presented in a hugely effective theatrical manner. They would do well to get back to this level of marketing because it delivered in every sense of the word.
But the marketing told massive fibs...it wasn't the most terrifying coaster ever, there was no real age limit, it was marketed as such...but we all know it is a good, short family coaster...not as advertised!

Last edited:
It really is pathetic if they haven’t sorted the issue over winter, even more so now there is no other support ride in that area anymore.

No Nemmy this year either to ease the pressure on the other major rides.

Is it just the lift hill that needs to remain dry or is it the entire layout? Does anyone know?

I've no idea about them like how much power they need but would LSMs be a suitable replacement if money was no object? Would they draw more current than the motors and cause power issues in Dark Forrest? I'd imagine that they wouldn't need a huge amount of power given that they are not launching the train (except the switchtrack bit, but then that's not a launch per se)

Is it just the lift hill that needs to remain dry or is it the entire layout? Does anyone know?

I believe the issue is the lifthill. I think it might be a rollback problem.

Based on some of the drone footage it looks like the all the kicker wheels have been replaced over closed season so hopefully that’s a good sign.

If it is such a problem.why can't they just fit standard anti rollback clackers to the track and train. Yes, it has a backwards section, just don't fit the track part of the system to the backwards sections.

As others have said I believe it’s just an issue with both sets of kickers wheels, but there have been evacuations from the break run in rain before, so I’m not actually too sure.

but there have been evacuations from the break run in rain before, so I’m not actually too sure.
That's because as soon as it starts raining they e-stop and evac. Can't operate in the rain with passengers for some reason.

Last edited: