• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thirteen: General Discussion

I'm just going to assume the issue has been sorted again, as it'd be silly not to when you've got a big capacity monster out of action all year.

Weren't we saying precisely that last year?
My KwiK Fit gag has been running longer than a year.
We did, and we thought it had been. Nemesis was open last year though, so took the sting out a little bit when this was closed. That wouldn't be the case this year though.

We did, and we thought it had been. Nemesis was open last year though, so took the sting out a little bit when this was closed. That wouldn't be the case this year though.
Well I guess the school kids waiting 2 hours for smiler will have to wait 2 1/2 hours instead

It’s meant to be wet a lot over the opening week of towers, so we’ll find out then if they have done anything to make it run in the rain. I know it definitely can’t run in the cold as was shut on the first buy out weekend.

Even more reason to get the egg viewing gallery open as soon as possible!
I'd like to think they realised what they did last time didn't work, and have actually fixed the issue permanently.

A More expensive option would be to enclose the lift hill and theme it up. Doubt they'd do that though.
I'd be up for that, you could have little theming elements added to it, hell while they're at it maybe they can removed that God awful scaffolding theming and put in good bit of theming wall and make the ride look good...

That said I think it is the weakest of the SW coasters and would rather it and Rita get the chop and give that whole a area a huge revamp with a much bigger coaster and better theme in which given how crap that whole area is, the bar was set pretty low so they couldn't screw it up further.

I'd be up for that, you could have little theming elements added to it, hell while they're at it maybe they can removed that God awful scaffolding theming and put in good bit of theming wall and make the ride look good...

That said I think it is the weakest of the SW coasters and would rather it and Rita get the chop and give that whole a area a huge revamp with a much bigger coaster and better theme in which given how crap that whole area is, the bar was set pretty low so they couldn't screw it up further.

I have to disagree, I think Thirteen is a fantastic coaster for Alton Towers younger audience.

I would hate TH13TEEN to leave the park as it is nostalgic for me as it was the first ride I went on at Alton Towers during my first visit to the park in Easter 2016.

Thirteen is always a fun ride and it's tradition for me and my friends to always exaggerate our reactions and always scream at every twist and turn for some reason which makes it even more fun for some reason.

Was very funny one last scarefest on one of the rides who whole train joined in and everyone started clapping at the end for no reason.

However it's a great family ride thrill, I like the indoor drop section and the backwards part in complete darkness is cool, layout is meh but enjoyable regardless.

It's that nice step up between runaway mine train and wickerman in my opinion.
Edit: it's also brilliant at night as long as you cover your eyes before the photo flash so you don't go blind for half of it.

Edit: it's also brilliant at night as long as you cover your eyes before the photo flash so you don't go blind for half of it.
That's the best it! If you're blinded, its even darker!

The only bit that ruins it for me - and I get annoyed on behalf of those riding it for the first time - is when people put their arms in the air a la Wickerman as they enter the crypt ready for the drop.

It's alright. Always one I queue a long time to get on for some reason. I then get on the ride and it's just not worth the wait. Not the rides fault tho I've just trained myself to assume waiting ages for Th13teen is normal so I join the queue anyway

Was trying to look at photos of the construction, but they are not appearing in the archive. Any reason @Craig ?

only ask aa I cannot remember ever seeing anything dug or built for the backwards section.

Was trying to look at photos of the construction, but they are not appearing in the archive. Any reason @Craig ?

only ask aa I cannot remember ever seeing anything dug or built for the backwards section.
I can’t easily find any photos at the moment (not even sure if we have any as it was pre TS), I’ll have a dig around later. However, you could definitely see the huge trench being built for Thirteen in 2009. I distinctly remember being stood in the Rita queue looking at it.

Also Vik did a timeline back in the day which detailed what happened construction wise. Sadly a lot of the images have been lost thanks to photobucket and image shack going. However we first saw hints of the trench in June 2009 before track arrived later in the year.