• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

Whilst the ride is the main thing, a good building helps.

Taken from page one of this thread.
ekzwdZx.png

68J3cD8.png

I know this was relatively early on, but I thought it was significant given the fact that at the moment we have a metal shed, so chances are It's not going to be covered.

So the exterior is a metal brownish red steel warehouse? Fits in to thorpe already.

On a serious note, I'm hoping this isn't the final result of the exterior especially as this is the park's (and Merlin's) first proper attempt at a major dark ride attraction and I really want it to be a major success as not just would it mean more dark ride developments in the future but most other Merlin parks could see a similar scale attraction such as Towers & even Chessington.

This won't be the final result, they'll probably build a semi-realistic / detailed facade around the visable parts of the warehouse. And I presume adding trees and things to hide it similar to duel at towers. And I certainly hope that it's that theming in the plans as it gives a nice atmosphere. Then again The Smilers first building plans were an abandoned hospital so this is probably likely to change.

To be honest, as long as it has a nice façade where you can't see the metal building, I don't really care.

Were this being built anywhere else but a Merlin park, I'd be saying "don't worry guys, all good dark rides live in a tin shed. They'll hide it eventually."

To be fair though, you can't see hex, and unless you go through that fence or look on Google earth then you can't see duel's building.

EDIT: just remembered these were both tussauds. But they did do a great job hiding sub terra's tin shed :rolleyes:...

If we want to compare to other Merlin projects they did hide Th13teen's corrugated metal, admittedly with horrid aged scaffolding, but still, they hid it...

For a project that's marked as costing, what, £30 million, I'd at least expect the exterior to be fully themed. Although looking at the concepts it seems like the 'theme' has been created around the tin shed.

If we want to compare to other Merlin projects they did hide Th13teen's corrugated metal, admittedly with horrid aged scaffolding, but still, they hid it...

For a project that's marked as costing, what, £30 million, I'd at least expect the exterior to be fully themed. Although looking at the concepts it seems like the 'theme' has been created around the tin shed.

Not from the other side they didn't. When you're on the ride and in the queue you still see a massive tin shed bolted on to the crypt.

They did an okay with job shed covering on Atlantis, Sharkbait Reef and Zufari's Cave so as long as it involves animals we should be fine....

What about laser raiders?
The front sides okay, but you can sort of see the expose metal warehouse from where Mia's area is which sticks out a little, however with all the brightness, that's almost forgiven.

WC16 though will be spot on in the centre in the park where at least three sides of the building will be exposed, unlike most other dark ride's which are generally towards the edge of their parks.

Out of interest, how long until their expected to announce the name/theme? I know its usually the same(ish) time of year but i don't know when that is.

would i be right saying around December/january time?

They announced The Smilers name toward late January, early February!
But who knows I think 13's name was announced a few weeks before!

I think sub terras was new years eve (at 11:11pm 2011) but that is the only one i remember so i assumed they were all the same(ish).

i do remember that the smiler was quite late to be announced compared to most

I'd imagine an annoucement could be any time between now and January/February time. We are well into 2016 theme park annoucement period time now but know Merlin and how they like to drag out the promotion for their rides we will probably be waiting a little while yet.

:)