• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

So glad to hear nobody's been hurt and that the net implemented has worked. I imagine the ride will be closed until further notice?

JordanC said:
It re-opened again about 2 hours after the closure :) - A lot of security around the ride however.

A bit curious unless they're themed actors? Does anyone know if that portion of the queueline has been closed off?

Sounds interesting. Always take accounts with a pinch of salt though, as I'm not sure how it could have 'nearly hit someone' given that the net seems to have the area covered pretty well.

I can't see how this can be seen as normal for a rollercoaster of The Swarm's age and manufacturer.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if it was somebody who thought it would be funny to drop a bolt while on the ride ::) They didn't exactly close the ride long enough to fully inspect it if they thought it was from the ride carriage.

Still pretty serious though.

JAMMYD778 said:
To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if it was somebody who thought it would be funny to drop a bolt while on the ride ::)

I must admit, that thought occurred to me as well.

Adam said:
JordanC said:
It re-opened again about 2 hours after the closure :) - A lot of security around the ride however.

A bit curious unless they're themed actors? Does anyone know if that portion of the queueline has been closed off?

I don't believe they can shut that portion of queueline as it's just before you enter the station, if my memory serves me well. It'd be difficult to anyway.

Considering the ride reopened so soon, I'd assume this to be just one of those things - wouldn't surprise me at all if it was one of the guests dropping a bolt to scare people.

Shocking news, especially for a new coaster!
I'm glad that nobody was hurt as it could've landed Thorpe in a sticky situation!

It seems that it's not a good week for UK rides...

My friend was at Thorpe today, so I shall text him later to see if he has any further details on this incident.

From Thorpe Park about the under 18 TRAX event:

We're really sorry, but the event on Friday 27th July has had to be postponed due to unforeseen circumstances.

We'll shortly be in touch with everyone who has booked to upgrade your ticket to our Ride&Rave event - this year's hottest summer party on 26th August with exclusive sets from Pendulum (DJ set), Tinchy Stryder, Rudimental (DJ set) & more!

Again, we're very sorry for the inconvenience.

Unforeseen? The day before?

Professional...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I wonder what these circumstances may be? Low ticket sales due to the Olympics? Lack of police protection for if things got out of hand? It can't be the weather.

Am I right to think this isn't the first time an event like this has been postponed or dropped recently?

Thomas said:
I wonder what these circumstances may be? Low ticket sales due to the Olympics? Lack of police protection for if things got out of hand? It can't be the weather.

Do Thorpe use G4S for their nighttime events? :p

Went yesterday, didn't see if it was announced in the thread but The Swarm is back on two trains. Everything else was running with two, although Colossus begun running with one.

A very mixed day for queues, Colossus and Inferno were about a constant 25-35 all day, Stealth was a little more, SAW was less than 5 in the morning but 40 later in the day. When I went to ride it, even X:\\ NWO had a 40 minute queue :eek: Of course, I didn't queue for it and went elsewhere. The flats were about 15 minutes. The Swarm was still busy in the morning, but about 10 or 15 minutes when I rode in the afternoon.

Thorpes music is still slightly sped up from earlier in the season, anyone know why this is still happening? I think certain restaurants/areas aren't affected, as Pizza Hut's audio was fine.

The Swarm broke down for about 10 minutes when we were on the final brake run, and they had to get engineers in.

Rain was on and off all day, got pretty bad at some points. Colossus, affected by rain, was down a lot but it wasn't technical.

I went yesterday, too.

Got onto SWARM at 9.30am in no time; great ride. I enjoyed the queue line. Later on in the day, it broke down for a minimum of an hour... I gave up waiting and went home.

I did Saw twice in a row - still a great ride! The indoor section really makes it.

I never do Stealth as the queue time is always far too long for 20 second ride (or whatever it it)

X:WTF was still as hilarious and crap as ever. It makes me sooo annoyed; it is so screaming for a makeover. It literally YELLS: I'm shaped like a pyramid! Haunt me!

Colossus went down in the morning whilst they added and tested the 2nd train - during a tropical rain storm. Spirits were reasonably high, though!

The queue app on the iphone was not particularly accurate, and many ride signs were out.

Was a bit annoyed that RUSH was only running one swing (for how long has this been happening?) as it was only able to load 16 people at a time! Also - Samurai was like pulling teeth... that is one SLOW loader!

Moaning over - I enjoyed it as always.

Seems everyone was at Thorpe yesterday! I was there too, but only from about 3pm having been at Chessington in the morning/early afternoon. Interesting to hear how much downtime there was before I got there, as I thought it was pretty terrible in the afternoon too - Depth Charge and Storm Surge were closed when I arrived and neither reopened.

Swarm was also shut when I got there, but reopened later with a 5-10min queue. Tidal also had a brief stop later on, as did Samurai. Both reopened shortly after, but Samurai closed again towards the end of the day and didn’t reopen. I’ve heard numerous reports of this over on Thorpe Park Mania, and it seems to me that they're trying to nurse it to the end of season, or at least the end of peak season - I wouldn't be surprised to see it close for maintenance in September.

Stealth was taking longer than usual between launches; I suspect it could have been a problem with the accumulators as has happened in the past.

I was in the massive X queue mentioned by SLC. I joined it just outside the pyramid, but was held there for around 15 minutes as the queue inside was huge. By the time the outdoor queue finally moved it was around ¾ full – partially due to the rain, but having Colossus and Swarm (+ possibly other rides) shut at the time didn’t help.

Still, I managed to avoid most of the breakdowns, and the quiet park allowed me to get a half decent ride count, so I'm not too bothered by the issues. Had the park been busy I might have thought otherwise though...

Sounds like the Thorpe of 2007-8-9 all over again on your visit!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

nickhutson said:
I went yesterday, too.

Got onto SWARM at 9.30am in no time; great ride. I enjoyed the queue line. Later on in the day, it broke down for a minimum of an hour... I gave up waiting and went home.

I did Saw twice in a row - still a great ride! The indoor section really makes it.

I never do Stealth as the queue time is always far too long for 20 second ride (or whatever it it)

X:WTF was still as hilarious and crap as ever. It makes me sooo annoyed; it is so screaming for a makeover. It literally YELLS: I'm shaped like a pyramid! Haunt me!

Colossus went down in the morning whilst they added and tested the 2nd train - during a tropical rain storm. Spirits were reasonably high, though!

The queue app on the iphone was not particularly accurate, and many ride signs were out.

Was a bit annoyed that RUSH was only running one swing (for how long has this been happening?) as it was only able to load 16 people at a time! Also - Samurai was like pulling teeth... that is one SLOW loader!

Moaning over - I enjoyed it as always.

Yeah, I was in the queue while Colossus was down in the morning for the second train testing, but my dad insisted we pulled out of it due to the severe weather. In the afternoon the same happened but we stayed in the second tunnel of the queue. Half the queue in front of us filed out, telling everyone it was closed. As the last leaver walked past it was announced it was back open so we got lucky there.

Also managed SAW twice in a row, it wasn't rough at all yesterday.

My missus emailed me earlier about this. Just hope it's not mega rammed when I go as it will ruin even a free day there!

Posted by Thorpe on FB:

531223_10151121816855867_884251159_n.jpg