• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

It's quite a bit smaller than I imagined, though it's still excellent that it's working. Fire is always fantastic! The noise it makes just before ignition is also rather beautiful, though that may just be me harking back to the noise of cryo systems at a facility I previously worked in, which I loved... mainly 'cause I'm a little odd...

I'm very lucky to of won some tickets to Sun Scream next week! Could anyone kinda explain the event/ say whats going on?

Looking forward to seing the fire effect in action on Wednesday (just hope the place isn't too busy). It does look to be good.

As for the Sun Scream event, i have no idea what it is, best to check out the website.

JAMMYD778 said:
Apparently the Swarm has been having a lot of downtime lately so I would encourage you to head there first. ???

Not helped when it's deaded at the start of the day... Until 4ish...

Had a lot of closed rides throughout today, Flying Fish, Rumba Rapids, Saw and Stealth all had issues today, Zodiac as well was shut all day long... They gave complimentary return tickets/fastrack to guests as a result of it, though managed to get on everything I wanted (and Saw and Storm Surge)...

Also, Fastrack on Saw was a much better idea to me than queuing for 90 minutes for it... Sod the crap about it, in some situations Fastrack can be beneficial to guests, especially for once a year guests... Also got a second go on Swarm through it so... Woo...

Sun scream is an event which is when the park opens until about 8:00pm And you will have some sort of performance in the stadium thing behind XNWO, with a free 150ml can of whatever fizzy drink happens to be sponsoring the event,I think it may be DR.Pepper.

I visited sunday and it was very very very busy! However I did not see the fire on swarm at all and wasn't there s'pose to be fire on tidal wave aswell?

The Tidal Wave fire has been delayed until next season, I believe. Shame about the Swarm's fire, though - hope this is just unreliability due to being brand new...

Thorpe Park

The swarm fire has had a problem today where every other train or so the spark doesn't catch the gas and the fire truck just released a load of gas onto the island which stunk everywhere.

When the fire actually works it is epic though :), shame it gets turned off every so often and a shame it can't always catch, the heat from it can be felt across the island and it usually scares anyone in the queue/area

Sun Scream used to be their big August-long event sponsored by Dr Pepper, didn't it? When all the staff wore yellow t-shirts? It wouldn't surprise me if the number of days that this is for have been cut down now, though, with all the other opening hour cutbacks!

As far as I'm aware this is yet to be posted, apologies if it has.

Apparently the ride signs/logos around Slammer have been taken down and parts of it are covered in big blue plastic sheets or something like that. I haven't seen it myself but I was told this is what it was like yesterday. I'd imagine Slammer is now simply SBNO until removal.

:)

Slammer has be removed off the home page of the Thorpe website, but its still on its ride page and has the following image:

slammer-new-closed.jpg

When I visited Thorpe for the first time last year, it was during the SUN SCREAM promotion, which included a free small can of Dr Pepper who are sponsoring this year's event again! I really liked the event, it gave the park even more energy than when I visited this year.

I'd heard from other forums that they'd removed the signage, to be fair it's a good idea. I can imagine Thorpe were fairly reluctant to do so, but Slammer like all rides are very high tech pieces of equipment which shouldn't be used unless it is completely safe to do so. Unfortunately it just seems to be a 'grin and bear it' moment with no set date for Slammer's return to operation.

Shame as it's my favourite ride in the park! Wish Alton had one, maybe where blade is, but I'd imagine the cost of digging a hole that big would be too much, and with the reliability issues I could never see it happening.

I would be gutted if Slammer left Thorpe, after Rush it's my second favourite flat and is truly a unique ride. If Thorpe do get rid of it, I would something worthwhile will replace it. :(

I think Slammer's clearly on the way out. It may limp on for one more season, but it's living on borrowed time...

THORPE PARK (I really don't like the capitals) have said over on Thorpe Park Mania, that there are no plans to remove the ride at this time. I'd hope that it has many years to come. But at the end of the day a simple cost versus benefit table would show that Slammer just isn't worth ploughing large amounts of cash into.

Still I'll chain myself to it if they do try and remove it. Why haven't they started marketing it as the World's only? Or is there still one left? Similarly does another manufacturer make a 'slammer' model? It seems very inefficient in the way it uses power..

I don't think they'd ever admit that they plan to remove it on the internet mid-season, it just wouldn't look good. But you have to imagine that it is going to be removed in the very near future. It's down so much of the time that it isn't really worth having it, the space could be better used for something more reliable. Even though I'm not a massive Slammer fan it is a shame as it's a very unique ride and a rather terrifying flat!

:)

I hope it survives for a little longer so that can get at least one or two goes on it. I've never been on it before and it looks brilliant!

It's a shame that S&S haven'y made a mk2 that's more reliable, efficient and comfortable, as it seems that when Slammer is working properly and people can get comfortable on it, the ride is very good.

Motors raise it up the tower then it gets spun by these motors I presume.....

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2