• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Not a very good image in my honest opinion, there is far to much going on! Also Thorpe Park Mania revealed Detonator will close 1 week before the opening of the land for a re-theme!

Good news regarding Detonator, it would have been a shame to have it shut until May for no real reason.

Also, Merlin promo images are getting more and more similar. There's very little individuality to the parks these days.

Fake reviews for a hotel that isn't even built yet? Why does this not surprise me. ::)

Themeparkmania said:
Not a very good image in my honest opinion, there is far to much going on! Also Thorpe Park Mania revealed Detonator will close 1 week before the opening of the land for a re-theme!

This will clearly be an extensive retheme...

DiogoJ42 said:
Fake reviews for a hotel that isn't even built yet? Why does this not surprise me. ::)

Given that overall it is still the similar tiny rooms as the Crash Pad, they can give a review from last year and it's still valid, the hotel and bar won't be hugely different to last year so that review stands.

jon81uk said:
DiogoJ42 said:

Given that overall it is still the similar tiny rooms as the Crash Pad, they can give a review from last year and it's still valid, the hotel and bar won't be hugely different to last year so that review stands.

But it's not a review of the hotel they are advertising. I wonder what trading standards would say about this?

Andrew said:
A new promotional image for Angry Birds has appeared online (Credit to TPC):

1896754_512427982201644_200790758_n.png

At least they've made the effort with themed cars if it does appear like this. :p

I think there'd be a bit of concern if they hadn't themed the cars! It's already threadbare as a concept as it is!

I wouldn't quite go as far as 'themed'. More, slapped on a vynal graphic which can be peeled off at the end of the IP deal :p

Ian said:
I wouldn't quite go as far as 'themed'. More, slapped on a vynal graphic which can be peeled off at the end of the IP deal :p

You don't reckon they'll be new shells then? Can't tell if the pictures are of the actual thing or just mockups.

Well considering this is a fairly embarrassing little investment for such a big park ran by a company which constantly likes to remind people about being second to Disney (in terms of guests, yes, but they know many won't read it as such and they know that) you'd think that they could at least stretch for custom shells. It's not as if these rides cost much.

The mess they made with the Swarm clearly doesn't bother the park or its owners much, otherwise they'd have at least attempted something relatively substantial since then, but no.

Merlin are slowly seeping into acting like DIC... Minimalistic investments of relatively low-ish quality (just with more thematic elements, not that they make much sense) with very little focus on producing a quality product...

Whilst Thorpe are certainly improving matters in other front, the phrase "The only way is up" comes to mind...

Alastair said:
Ian said:

You don't reckon they'll be new shells then? Can't tell if the pictures are of the actual thing or just mockups.

One of the application form documents mentioned the cars will be covered with vinyl. :)

Alastair said:
Ian said:

Looks like a mock-up but I wouldn't expect custom shells. The dodgems at Chessington are standard shells with a Indian tuk-tuk style paint job so I would expect standard shells with custom paint or vinyls for Thorpe as well.

Please can someone tell me why the hotel is called THORPE SHARK Hotel? Thorpe Shark Hotel would be fine. Why do they insist on using stupid capitals!?

Are The Swarm's back two rows still pointlessly backwards this year? I guess they are which is a shame. Hopefully the gimmick will soon wear off.

As for the promo image, apart from the fact that it's completely taken over by Angry Birds and therefore isn't overly Thorpe Park, I quite like it. However John makes a good point about Merlin's parks getting closer and closer with the design of promo images. Put all the rides in the background and the new thing in the centre.

:)

Benzin said:
Merlin are slowly seeping into acting like DIC... Minimalistic investments of relatively low-ish quality (just with more thematic elements, not that they make much sense) with very little focus on producing a quality product...

Whilst Thorpe are certainly improving matters in other front, the phrase "The only way is up" comes to mind...

But I don't think Tussauds were any better or worse than Merlin, all seems pretty much the same to me. Tidal Wave (Tussauds era) is very well themed as is Swarm (Merlin era). Colossus and the rest of Lost City are not great themes (Tussauds era) and neither is Storm Surge (Merlin era).

I think Angry Birds will be just fine, not the most amazing but good enough for a few years, look at Beanoland at Chessington, most of that was plywood cut-outs and it lasted 10years! Fibreglass and vinyl should last 5 years anyway, by which point they will probably want to put a new 4D film in.

DiogoJ42 said:
jon81uk said:
DiogoJ42 said:

But it's not a review of the hotel they are advertising. I wonder what trading standards would say about this?

Trading Standards wouldn't care about a single review, if it was part of a bigger campaign advertising standards might. But also they haven't demolised the old crash pad rooms as far as I can tell from the plans, they have added to them and changed the name, so overall the on-site hotel is largely the same.

jon81uk said:
Benzin said:

But I don't think Tussauds were any better or worse than Merlin, all seems pretty much the same to me. Tidal Wave (Tussauds era) is very well themed as is Swarm (Merlin era). Colossus and the rest of Lost City are not great themes (Tussauds era) and neither is Storm Surge (Merlin era).

I think Angry Birds will be just fine, not the most amazing but good enough for a few years, look at Beanoland at Chessington, most of that was plywood cut-outs and it lasted 10years! Fibreglass and vinyl should last 5 years anyway, by which point they will probably want to put a new 4D film in.

Lost City in it's hey-day looked pretty good, but I was more thinking towards any additions post 2004 in the parks, like Spinball, Fury, Stealth, Rita, Charlie, Bubbles retheme... All of them put in at minimal cost designed for maximum profits...

Whilst Swarm and Smiler are better than these additions, there's still a distinct lack of quality that was seen in the 1990s and the original design of Amity Cove...

It's harsh to say Lost City isn't a great theme, it once was quite well done when the rides were suitably themed (i.e. Zodiac and Quantum) and actually played the area's music... Especially comparing it to Storm Surge, which just isn't themed at all...