• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

AstroDan said:
JoshC. said:
Hate to use the 'It's not even finished yet' argument, but....

It's not even finished yet.

There's a lot more to be added; more cladding, coaster-track-ribs, teeth, lighting, etc. It's not even half-finished I'd wager.

I've always liked the look of the shark, being my favourite of the three concepts the park showed on FB. Looking forward to the final result!

I don't buy this at all.

It's trashy. The whole complex is trashy.

Why does anybody settle for this cheap dross?

It manages to have an average 4 star rating on TripAdvisor though....unbelievably.

Rob said:
How very classy from Thorpe.

Even if it's not finished it just looks hilariously awful.

:)

It really does, I was expecting a showpiece but at that size just plonked down it's almost pointless being there!

I wasn't expecting much tbh. A fake shark head made out of stuff from a scrapyard kinda speaks for itself.

In other news, I don't think it has properly been announced before, but I had a tweet earlier to say that Angry Birds Land will open on Saturday 24th May (same day at CBeebies Land).

Well, Thorpe'll be dead. Any enthusiast will be at Alton and families will do the same. Poor timing at its best.

I do find it rather amusing how the area still looks massively like Central Park used to.

Oh and the Shark Hotel, it's one thing it looking like crap, but that it doesn't even connect to the rooms is very poor. I'd expect better from my traveling fun fair!! :/

Umm for all those haters, it looks almost exactly like the model that is in display in hotel reception and did on the plans, what were you expecting. Also it's not even finished yet!

jon81uk said:
Umm for all those haters, it looks almost exactly like the model that is in display in hotel reception and did on the plans, what were you expecting. Also it's not even finished yet!

People where hardly that impressed with the plans so it's not exactly a huge change of tune for most.

I was expecting a world class hotel on a par with ATH, Hotel Matamba, Santa Isabel, the Big Blue Hotel. You know, decent theme park accommodation. If I wanted a travelodge room, I'd book a travelodge room. When I'm going to a theme park, I want escapism, not bloody shipping containers and a poxy shark made out of off-cuts.

I can only think one thing about this abomination. KILL IT WITH FIRE!
kill_it_with_fire_demotivational_poster_1235695993-s640x463-232628-580.jpg

BenBowser said:
Well, Thorpe'll be dead. Any enthusiast will be at Alton and families will do the same. Poor timing at its best.

I do find it rather amusing how the area still looks massively like Central Park used to.

Oh and the Shark Hotel, it's one thing it looking like crap, but that it doesn't even connect to the rooms is very poor. I'd expect better from my traveling fun fair!! :/

Both are opening in time for Half-term, so they will both be very busy I imagine...

alee298 said:
I can only think one thing about this abomination. KILL IT WITH FIRE!
kill_it_with_fire_demotivational_poster_1235695993-s640x463-232628-580.jpg

A bit too unoriginal I think, as Thorpe has so may burnt buildings. So kill it with a tidal wave... oh wait. Oh they have already done it. Well how about a crusher? Nope, saw has that. Okay, well what about lasers! Nope? Oh, uh, well the structure looks so flimsy, you could probably tear it down with a crowbar. So there is that.

Or you could fling some birds at it, it does LOOK like a structure from Angry Birds after all.

Dar said:
I was expecting a world class hotel on a par with ATH, Hotel Matamba, Santa Isabel, the Big Blue Hotel. You know, decent theme park accommodation. If I wanted a travelodge room, I'd book a travelodge room. When I'm going to a theme park, I want escapism, not bloody shipping containers and a poxy shark made out of off-cuts.

But if you'd seen the plans, photos and web pages on this forum then you'd know what was coming and it's not a world class hotel. To be honest, Thorpe doesn't need thst style of hotel, the park isn't big enough and the guests wouldn't appreciate it. There are plans to build a proper big hotel at Thorpe on the car park side of the lake if the current hotel is successful, but don't expect to see this for 10 years.

Had my first visit to thorpe park in 8 years today (last went in 2006 when stealth opened). Overall was a fantastic day, great weather and although a bank hol weekend with nice weather and the park seemed busy with people ride queues were not that bad. Longest queue i recall seeing was 60 mins for saw mid afternoon, most coasters with 30-40 mins max. we got on 14 rides inc each of the big coasters twice.

Got my first rides in on Saw and Swarm and enjoyed them both, i really liked the theming around the swarm, inc the fake news reports playing etc and think its some of the best i have seen from Merlin (despite it being another post apocalypse style theme) much better than the themeing on the Smiler. I hope to see theming to this standard at Alton with their next major addition.

I didn't find Saw as rough as i was expecting after reading reports (apart from Jolt at bottom of the drop) and i have read recently people saying they wont ride Colossus again as its too rough, maybe we were lucky the two times we rode as had two great rides on it, while it was a bit shaky my head didnt get smashed in!

I visited for the first time since Fright Nights last weekend, and I have to agree with you on the Colossus front. I don't know what they've done to it, but it's riding far better than it has for the last few years. At Fright Nights I had my worse ever ride on it, and it massively knocked the coaster down in my ranking. However, after last Sunday it's moved back up a fair bit. Still not perfect, and some lapbar trains would really go a long way to improving it, as well as offering an easy marketing gimmick (The UK's First 10 Looping Lapbar Coaster anyone? :p ), but overall not bad :)

All in all the park was looking fairly good. The entrance and bridge are still as crap as ever, but much of the place was looking neat and fresh. Ninferno in particular, aside from some patches on the mountain needing a clean, is looking the best it has in a long time, with all the smoke effects working again, and the dispatch audio being used with the Bass Cannons.

I agree that i thought in the most part the park looked great and as you say Nemesis Inferno looked great. While Colossus was riding great, it could also do with a repaint of the ride and the theming as its looking really tired. I wonder if Merlin have increased the maintance budgets this year as all the UK parks seem to have stepped up refurb work over the closed season.

I was thinking how much the park has changed in the last 14 years or so. I just had a look back at the 1998 map, the last one before Tussuads purchased the park, i would never has guessed back then that the park would have the rides it does now.

I think the next coaster which should happen in 2016 needs to be about Airtime something lacking in most UK parks, weather thats a woodie or steal coaster would love a B&M Hyper like Shamballa but cant see Merlin spending that much on a ride for thorpe or if it would get planning permission.

Maelstrom said:
I think the next coaster which should happen in 2016 needs to be about Airtime something lacking in most UK parks, weather thats a woodie or steal coaster would love a B&M Hyper like Shamballa but cant see Merlin spending that much on a ride for thorpe or if it would get planning permission.

I reckon you're spot on, one park should get an airtime machine, be it Towers or Thorpe :)

Ian said:
Ninferno in particular, aside from some patches on the mountain needing a clean, is looking the best it has in a long time, with all the smoke effects working again, and the dispatch audio being used with the Bass Cannons.

When I went last week the smoke effects where broken.