• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Thorpe park could do with a big indoor dark ride. Doctor who would be my favourite IP for the idea, as I am a big fan of the show. However for me it would have to show all of the most recent doctors and not just Peter Capaldi
But if this WILD rumour became true <3

If themed well it would make a great ride, if they get the ip no more ops afterwards please.

I think Doctor Who would be more suited for Alton Towers rather than Thorpe, but it would be interesting to see what they did with in.

I'm a bit on the fence with a Doctor Who ride on the whole. As a Dr Who fan I'd rather see it never happen. There is so much they could do but so many ways they could mess it up and turn it into a joke.

Anyway I think the should be an ip ride at chessington then all parks will have ip rides and merlin can stop with the Ip's I know cbeebies land is great but If it keeps on go they'll end up theming the towers to trapped or dani's castle. Then nemesis will be themed to some terrible ip and Alton will be Ip towers ;D thorpe could do with a DECENT Ip which doesn't ruin an ok area by clashing Nemesis Inferno and Rumba Rapids with the newly re(un)themed detonator which was fine as it was. :mad:

There's nothing wrong with IPs when they are done properly. Towers have only ever really picked IPs which have generally suited the park or area of the park they are in - it would be highly unlikely for them to retheme something as iconic as Nemesis for example.

Angry Birds Land is a pretty poor choice but I can see why they went with it (if not in desperation to try and attract families)

No matter what though, IPs are here to stay - they are popular with people and make coming up with ideas easier for parks.

I don't mind them if they are quality Ip's like cbeebies land but the bit about nemesis and the towers wasn't serious.Angry birds land clashes withe inferno in my opinion.

I wonder if a ride system like Simworx's "Immersive Tunnel" could be a likely option for a dark ride at Thorpe Park?

At the moment I find it hard to imagine Merlin building a 'classic' tracked dark ride, nor do I think they'd spend the money on a huge and impressive ride system. A small tracked system combined with a 4D film would be not so expensive, and wouldn't require that much theming. A film-based dark attraction would also lend itself well to an IP.

Jordan said:
I wonder if a ride system like Simworx's "Immersive Tunnel" could be a likely option for a dark ride at Thorpe Park?

At the moment I find it hard to imagine Merlin building a 'classic' tracked dark ride, nor do I think they'd spend the money on a huge and impressive ride system. A small tracked system combined with a 4D film would be not so expensive, and wouldn't require that much theming. A film-based dark attraction would also lend itself well to an IP.

The immersive tunnel sounds a bit like Kong at Universal Hollywood. Given Merlin have worked with SimWorx on several 4D theatres it wouldn't be a surprise.

I think we speculated about N:ST being a 'pandora's box' - personally think it would be great for Thorpe. Hopefully they programme it as a 'family thrill' not high thrill as you would have previously expected at TP.

Looks like quite a large footprint though?

I wonder if any of these already exist...

I would love there to be a big Spider-Man style dark ride at Thorpe, but those systems are hugely expensive. The Robo-arms are out of the question as Universal have exclusivity on those and each arm costs £1,000,000.

The Spider-Man system you can get cheaper now but the cars are still in the range of £300,000 each. When you consider you would need about 15 for a decent length you are looking at £5,000,000 before you even build the building, theming or track. Not impossible though.

There's no reason why Thorpe couldn't get a Spiderman style ride if Merlin were prepared to give them a decent budget. BGW managed to install DarKastle and their budgets are nowehre near that of Universal. DarKastle is also a fantastic dark ride!

:)

I'm not sure if Thorpe could build a tall enough building to properly do Pandora's box, at least a Kuka Arm (similar to Harry Potter Forbiddon Journey) doesn't need tracks at the top of the building too. But I think Dr Who would have to be done as an indoor screen based ride of this type to be done well, possibly with some kind of actor lead pre-show.

I highly doubt Thorpe would invest in a KUKA arm system for a dark ride. Even if they did, their attempt would be laughable and also a dire insult to the greatest dark ride in existence.

And I imagine they will also now have exclusivity for using it to move screens and scenery as they will do in Gringotts.

In other news, Thorpe have actually informed guests of the one train operation today for Colossus:

CpEW2RC.png

Understandable to do it today seeing as the weather this weekend is meant to be brilliant, I don't think that they'd want busy days to have horrendous queues. :)