• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Detonator might not be but the dodgems and 4D are well poised for that age group.

Some Quick Thoughts on Angry Birds Land:

1. Dodgems: They are fun. The cars are spacious and comfortable, and use a lap bar system that works nicely. The minimal design of the cars actually work quite well. The ride is smooth, no bump was painful. An improvement over chessington's and very enjoyable. The themed cladding is appalling though. Some 2D brickwork on a piece of polystyrene is not good enough!

2. 4D Movie: Surprisingly good. There are actually seats here and they are very comfortable. The effects are to a mostly good standard and the movie is somewhat decent. The effects are used in a number of ways that haven't been used in a merlin 4d before. It actually surprised me! Recommended. Shame about the blatant sexism with the pink bird!

3. Other Guff: The shop has an uninspiring collection of pluff toys, key rings and board games. Though the Jenga one looked cool. There new food outlet, offers jacket potatos, hot dogs, and cookies/muffins. Seemed alright. Theming is uninspiring throughout, but what is there is decent and the area is actually quite pleasant to be in. There is even a little interactive, reaction based game, which is free!! and also makes no sense. Detonator retheme, is really just a sign and soundtrack change.

Final rating 7/10

Surprisingly good! The rides are comfortable and to a god standard, the area looks alright. Its fine really.

Also note: They have a new Aliens arcade game in the dome, but this is a light gun game, and the graphics are cell shaded. WT*?

HaydenCR said:
Some Quick Thoughts on Angry Birds Land:

1. Dodgems: They are fun. The cars are spacious and comfortable, and use a lap bar system that works nicely. The minimal design of the cars actually work quite well. The ride is smooth, no bump was painful. An improvement over chessington's and very enjoyable. The themed cladding is appalling though. Some 2D brickwork on a piece of polystyrene is not good enough!

2. 4D Movie: Surprisingly good. There are actually seats here and they are very comfortable. The effects are to a mostly good standard and the movie is somewhat decent. The effects are used in a number of ways that haven't been used in a merlin 4d before. It actually surprised me! Recommended. Shame about the blatant sexism with the pink bird!

3. Other Guff: The shop has an uninspiring collection of pluff toys, key rings and board games. Though the Jenga one looked cool. There new food outlet, offers jacket potatos, hot dogs, and cookies/muffins. Seemed alright. Theming is uninspiring throughout, but what is there is decent and the area is actually quite pleasant to be in. There is even a little interactive, reaction based game, which is free!! and also makes no sense. Detonator retheme, is really just a sign and soundtrack change.

Final rating 7/10

Surprisingly good! The rides are comfortable and to a god standard, the area looks alright. Its fine really.

Also note: They have a new Aliens arcade game in the dome, but this is a light gun game, and the graphics are cell shaded. WT*?

PS: I think the mascots kinda cute, in the pathetic failure sort of way.

So, some photos of this "themed area" from Thorpe Park Mania's Facebook page:

10367815_10154236178455624_5465083034981083639_n.jpg

10417829_10154236197760624_4577663726563562066_n.jpg

10417695_10154236198080624_3356127469050255353_n.jpg

10366324_10154236198145624_8441634426784330292_n.jpg

10377155_10154236198350624_4375498753224175897_n.jpg

10406468_10154236198500624_7215403062707536700_n.jpg

10296651_10154236198955624_6481872887157605567_n.jpg

Nothing short of embarrassing for what is meant to be a top theme park. Looks like Detonator's re-theme is basically a few new signs and two boxes of TNT at the entrance, wow.

Not much else to say really, I look forward to laughing at it myself in a few weeks time.

:)

I think we were all expecting it to be bad, but it's an embarrassment for both Thorpe Park and Merlin. The dodgems look like they are straight from a county funfair, Detonator's re-theme is barely noticeable, and the less said about the stickers the better.

It says a lot when Europa Park has better themed toilets than this.

Looking at those photos.. *headdesk*

I really don't like the look of the area at all :') It really doesn't make any sense to me, it just sits there between Amity Cove and Amity Speedway and stands out like a sore thumb. What have you done Merlin?! :/

Oh no.

I thought the idea was cheap, but that spoils the surroundings beyond what I expected.

No B&M loop should EVER be hidden behind some cheap sign like that, and how about the way the entrance cuts straight through the vista of Stealth! The most iconic part of the TP skyline!

That's horrendous, cobbled together, cheap, tacky, it's totally out of place!!!

Seriously? Who thought of this? There are 4 people on this forum alone I could think would do a better job and I'd personally employ before the muppet that thought this was suitable for Thorpe.

Merlin, you are a disgrace.

I expected it to be bad, however they have somehow managed to make it worse than even I expected. That really is saying something. It looks so so cheap, how they can possibly think it enhances the park is beyond. At least Thorpe are consistent though, they're non-coaster investments remain diabolical.

:)

I'm sure it'll be better when it's finished...

What? It is finished? Well...

*slowly walks away, laughing hysterically*

Thorpe have just got EVERYTHING wrong with the whole idea of the area, and the area itself.

I don't even know what to say.

I think if the theme was more 'long lived' than Angry Birds will be (it's a fad, expecting it to be gone sometime soon..) then the attempts (in some parts) are ok.

The idea of the dodgems I like - however the presentation and implementation is awful. Themeing them properly would have taken no time at all - it's a real shame.

We're faced with this stupid situation where they've tried to go for a fresh looking theme - parts look ok (building repaints, some of the vinyls do look 'ok') but it doesn't fit the park or anything at all.

That's at the other end of the theme park spectrum though. There is an in-between - something more within reach for Merlin and the UK. Maybe wait for Paramount if you expect something a bit more grand? :p

Thorpe Park Mania posted a video on Facebook today of the new LED screen at the entrance - id link but I'm on mobile.

It looks really good and best of all - the themed entrance music is back!

Scott said:
It looks really good and best of all - the themed entrance music is back!

A matter of some debate.

10380317_10154237922835624_424223625688489487_n.jpg

Boj1KcZIMAIJawI.jpg

Looks dreadful, though the entrance was already pretty awful anyway so not much damage has been done. :)