• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Having just got back from the park, here’s a few observations from me.

The exterior of Walking Dead that I saw today certainly leaves a lot to be desired (though conscious it’s still very much work in progress). Not that I had high expectations to begin with really! It’s clearly going to be a quick rehash!

No bag stores removed that I noticed on Swarm, or SAW.

This may have happened last year and I missed it, but the station on Swarm has had the charred wood cladding stripped from the roof, leaving behind the shiny galvanised steel frame beneath. The holes at either end where the wood would have met the wall have been filled in with expanding foam. I’d like to think this is going to be put back at some point, but if not, someone please give it a coat of brown paint!

DBGT has also seen more changes again this year. I’ll wrap it in spoilers in case anyone really cares!

The tunnel scene between the two train rides has been replaced with a strobe maze.

In terms of general availability, Samurai and Quantum were both closed all day I think. Rush put in an appearance with one arm around 2ish.

Colossus was being a full on diva, running one train and going down serveral times throughout the day. Again, this may be from last year, but a few of the supports have had a kick of paint. This seems to be limited to ones within the footpaths and only goes as high as you could probably reach with a small step ladder! The lift supports look to have had a clean, or at least had some of the grease marks from the chain wiped off. It’s certainly an improvement, but realistically the whole thing is in need of a fresh coat.

Slammer (RIP) looks to have been untouched, aside from someone sticking a bit of gaffa tape over it’s name on the ride restrictions sign. Seriously, could no one find a screwdriver and a spare 10 minutes to take this down? Was quite surprised to see it still standing. Maybe scrap metal prices are down at the moment :p

If you want food from somewhere other than KFC or BK I’d say it’s slim pickings too. A lot of the smaller kiosks seemed to be shut up, limiting you to either a hot dog, kebab or doughnuts.

The entrance has also seen a fair knocking around this year (I assume this is all new?). There’s still one giant queue out the front. This leads to the two former ticket booth buildings, which have been repainted blue and the windows boarded up. There now seems to be a door through where the security checks are taking place. Tickets are then sold from a few windows to the right of the turnstiles (I can see this getting busy on peak days). Only one of the two old buildings was finished, but judging by appearances it looks like it’ll mirror the finished one.

The park have also placed a lot of boulders around the bollards where the plaza meets the car park, presumably a measure similar to the new fences around Towers. They have also blocked off access from the left and right behind the old ticket booths, so it seems the only way in now is through the bag check queue.

DBGT has also seen more changes again this year. I’ll wrap it in spoilers in case anyone really cares!

The tunnel scene between the two train rides has been replaced with a strobe maze.

Ha! This is the most expensive ride build in the UK, I have only ridden it once and have no desperate desire to really ride it again.

Such a poor investment in my eyes.

:)

Ha! This is the most expensive ride build in the UK, I have only ridden it once and have no desperate desire to really ride it again.

Such a poor investment in my eyes.

:)
Agreed I rode it after the last update and can't say I feel the need to go on it again

DBGT - when it pre-opened, was quite a good ride and enjoyed it, thought it had potential, but as with all most Merlin rides they just keep messing with them until .. its a complete mess

They closed up the side entrances to the turnstyles late August last year after people complained about other people bypassing the security checks via them, as if a mad terrorist is ever going to want to destroy a dingy shytehole like Thorpe Park when there's the Countries biggest target a stones throw away, but alas everybody is treated like a criminal now so whatever.

Ironically they created their own problem by not providing a way in for those of us who don't carry bags to get in easily, same as Chessington where you can bypass the bag check as easily as taking candy from a child.

as if a mad terrorist is ever going to want to destroy a dingy shytehole like Thorpe Park when there's the Countries biggest target a stones throw away, but alas everybody is treated like a criminal now so whatever.

I know we're all different, but I would rather be treated like a criminal and spend a day at a park knowing I'm relatively safe. And I'm not so sure a theme park wouldn't be a target - high volume of people in a small area sounds just what they'd be looking for.

I know we're all different, but I would rather be treated like a criminal and spend a day at a park knowing I'm relatively safe. And I'm not so sure a theme park wouldn't be a target - high volume of people in a small area sounds just what they'd be looking for.

So your happy for pretty much your rights to be thrown away? All they need are baggage scanners and metal detector gates if what they are doing is honestly looking for terrorst activity. Fact is that's not what there looking for. There looking for 3 things knifes drugs and alcohol. The 3rd one is due to Thorpe being a licenced premises and to take alcohol onto it is illegal. Plus cuts into there sales of the stuff on site and because they can't regulate the age of people drinking alcohol that' been brought in.

I completely agree with regards to rights being gradually eroded as I do share those concerns. I disagree with how some of these security protocols are used, such as Pleasure Beach's picnic police, however I do like to enter these places knowing (or at least thinking) that there are no dangerous weapons etc on park.

I have worked on security in a tourist attraction, and I was shocked at just what some people think is acceptable to bring to family attractions - the time we found a lone bread knife in the bottom of a rucksack immediately springs to mind. If it's truly about safety then I'm behind it, if I believe ulterior motives are at play then I'll most likely not return.

I will admit that ultimately the terrorism excuse is weak, as an attack doesn't have to occur on the park-side of the security checks and most likely wouldn't.

Given what is usually carried on a daily basis by Thorpe's target audience, is it really a surprise they want to do security checks?

Must be a sale in tin foil going on...

I'm more concerned about the normalisation of being searched. All part of the grand plan to raise the current generation of kids to never question if they even have rights.

This, my son is generally clued up on this after we refused the let him be fingerprinted by his school in order to take books out the library, but just a few weeks ago the school tried something on that didn't just breach the Education Act, but broke the Human Rights Act in multiple places, and when this was pointed out to them and they relented, they admitted that out of 250 kids, only 3 parents had objected. This means that 247 sets of parents and their kids, think what the school tried was not just perfectly legal, but acceptable . Unlocking your phone and surrendering it on demand to a teacher for inspection is not OK. That's just teaching the kids they have no rights.

I don't mind security checks so long as I am treated civility and they are done respectfully, like they are on the London Eye and At Chessington. Legoland, Thorpe and especially Alton, not so much, I've never felt more like a criminal than I did at Alton last year (not to mention they guy damaging the bag) and Legoland packed up security at 5.30pm on fireworks night, letting anybody in after without a check, which made their prior security checked utterly pointless.

Last edited:
The Walking Dead ride, the scariest ride in the world has another UK First, a “Scream-O-Meter” which can even charge your mobile.

Screaming in fright is all part of the fun when you're on a rollercoaster, but on Thorpe Park 's newest ride your cries of terror could also prove a major advantage.

That's because the theme park's new attraction The Walking Dead: The Ride will quite literally harvest riders' screams to use it as a source of energy - one with which you can even charge your phone.

That's because Thorpe Park's new rollercoaster uses the kinetic energy from your screams as a power source from which theme park guests can use to charge their mobile phones.

It will be the first rollercoaster of its kind in the UK, with special 'Scream-O-Meter' units attached to the train carriage.

These devices contain technology that can harvest kinetic energy, using everything from the g-force and vibrations of the ride itself to the sound of riders' cries.

Oh, and for those who are brave enough to keep their eyes open during the ride, they'll be able to see blood red LED lights powering up as the screams become louder.

The unit converts the kinetic energy into electrical energy, which is stored in a power management unit and can be removed by staff and added to the on-sire mobile charging point.

Thorpe Park's John Burton, the Creative who came up with the ride concept said: "The Walking Dead: The Ride is 15 out of 10 on the scare factor scale, so it makes sense to be able to combine and harness our visitors’ screams and the ride’s vibrations to help solve a problem each and every one of us faces; losing the charge on our mobiles when we’re on a day out."

Last edited:
"power management unit"? Is "battery" too uncool for their target audience (whatever it is this week)?

Blame Liberty for that, they started calling the Formula 1 batteries "power management units" last year and it seems to have caught on everywhere, or smart battery, that's another one, what's it gonna do? Paint my skirting board? No? Oh... Not very smart then is it?