• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Apparently they are open 10 - 10, giving us 10 hrs of ride time today. Yep social having a Diane Abbott moment :D

@IanSR are you going along today?

2unu29w.jpg

Well just got back from a fun evening, everything was walk on from 7, we left knackered at 9.30 when it started raining, everything was running fairly good.

My only gripe is the security theatre at the entrance, I can understand why they do it, but when you tell someone nearing 50 to turn your pockets out I'm sorry but you are going to get a funny comment back and should learn to take a joke, not look at me like I've just eaten your first born, my wife did say she was going to have some serious fun with them next time, I pity the poor guy who goes through her bag...

I did poke my head into the Dome as we were leaving and there was three men and a dog in there, guess they hadn't sold many tickets for some reason.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was quiet. The last MoS I went to was very badly organised. For some reason it’s the only event that they don’t do mobile Eventbrite tickets. Last year only had two security guys checking everyone and only 2-3 ticket windows open. Lots of people queue jumping and staff turned a blind eye to it. Took us nearly 4 hours to get in at which point the rides were closing. It really put me off doing any of them this year.

It’s not good news if they can’t even get a crowd when they give away the tickets for free.

Maybe people are put off from past experience of the shambles that usually occurs or the year of walking dead has already reached its peak and people are bored by it. Either way Thorpe need to look into why

The weather forecast may have had something to do with it, all day the BBC local news was forecasting doom and gloom rain wise saying it would rain from about 4 onwards and be heavy, monsoon level rain, which as usual never came, I looked at the radar at about 3 and figured we'd get till about 8 before the rain came, it started spitting at about 9.30.

Plus they decided to change the opening time very late in the day, as we were going in we saw some friends on the bridge and I asked why they were leaving and they said "because the park closes at 6", they didn't realise it was open till 10 despite the effort Thorpe had put into promoting it.

I do hope this doesn't put the late openings in the Summer in danger. Year of the Walking Dead was never going to be a success since the TV show is haemorrhaging viewers, they were five years too late picking up TWD.

Hi guys. Was just wondering if anyone has any idea of what Thorpe is like on a weekday in July, because our school reward trip is to Thorpe on Monday 16th July. I'm quite excited, as I've never been to Thorpe twice in one year before! I'm hoping it won't be too busy, or at least not as busy as it was on the Mayday Bank Holiday weekend, anyway!

Is it in the school holidays? I went last summer and it was busy. From memory I stayed from opening to closing and did all the coasters, re-rides on Stealth and Swarm, Derren Brown and a couple flat rides. Totally manageable if you use the app and check the queue times. Of course, now I have the credits I would skip Colossus and Saw.

Is it in the school holidays? I went last summer and it was busy. From memory I stayed from opening to closing and did all the coasters, re-rides on Stealth and Swarm, Derren Brown and a couple flat rides. Totally manageable if you use the app and check the queue times. Of course, now I have the credits I would skip Colossus and Saw.
No. I think 16th July is still term time in most (if not all) places.

16th July is middle of school trip season, expect it to be very busy, and if it isn't be pleasantly surprised.

That's about the time my son went last year with their school and they got on X and Swarm, they were there from 10 to 3.

Yeah, it'll be horrendously busy. Possibly the busiest week of the entire season.

I'd recommend saving your money and going yourself another time instead, if possible. If you do go expect to either only get on a couple of rides, spend a fistful on fastracks or cut your losses and stick to the smaller, quieter attractions (the likes of Rumba Rapids, Flying Fish, Quantum don't tend to get too crowded). Angry Birds 4D is always a good bet on a busy day.

What a shame! I don't think I'd have the patience for that! :(

Our primary 7 trip was to Flamingo Land, in April 2011. It was great. I've never heard of a "reward trip" - we had activities days in secondary but you had to pay for it.

I think it was the start of August when I visited Thorpe last year, which is within the Scottish holidays.

@speedy It is called a reward trip, but we have to pay £36 for it.

I think I might go and see what I can get on. My family wouldn't really want to take me another time, and besides, even if I have to stick to smaller attractions, it's better than nothing, as Alton would say! The advantage here is that our Head of Year seems to be allocating us a full day at Thorpe, as we're predicted to be leaving from our school in the South West at 7:30am and arriving back at school at 8:30pm.

Thanks for the tips guys!

@speedy It is called a reward trip, but we have to pay £36 for it.

I think I might go and see what I can get on. My family wouldn't really want to take me another time, and besides, even if I have to stick to smaller attractions, it's better than nothing, as Alton would say!

Thanks for the tips guys!
Honestly even with the price I would go if it was with school friends - school trips are great!

If I were you I would pick some rides beforehand and go straight for those. Or look at the app on your way in and go for the short queues.

Honestly even with the price I would go if it was with school friends - school trips are great!

If I were you I would pick some rides beforehand and go straight for those. Or look at the app on your way in and go for the short queues.
I'm definitely going to go - the last time I went to a theme park with school was Oakwood in July 2016, and it was fantastic; even though Oakwood's quite frankly abysmal operations meant that they were operating a system of *One full train normal riders, One full train fastrackers, repeat cycle* on both Megafobia and Speed, with both running one train, I had a fantastic day at the park and managed to get on 6 rides in total!

I'll probably download Thorpe's app before I go, if they have one.

Thanks @speedy!

If you are genuinely there for a full day on park you might be able to retrieve the situation, at least partially.

Crowds that day will almost exclusively be school trips who arrive late and leave early more often than not. If you're there all day you should be able to get a couple of major coasters in before the queues get unbearable, and it might quieten down again after 3ish hopefully.

Fingers crossed for you :)