• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Thanks for letting us know, badboi. :D
I'd better get to Thorpe soon before it dies again and get my first ride in on it! :p

first time in ages scince almost all of the rides were open at Thorpe!

Hi guys.

Went to Thorpe Park yesterday for thier Fright Nights event. This is my 5th Year of the event and even through it wasn't the strongest, It was throughougly enjoyable. I will review each maze but first of I will talk about the park.

The park has never been so poorly decorated, you wouldnt really know it was Halloween, it was VERY poor. A couple of posters of inmates on bins and trees and a pathetic graveyard at the entrance and that was your lot, really poor show. The park did indeed look good at night but I did like how they took the Penitentary theme well on some of the rides theme music. The classic Fright Nights music was playing but the had the Thorpe Park Guvnor shouting abuse at people in the queue. The best one was Detonator, the music is themed around you being Hung for your crimes which was a nice touch. Another great touch was the inmates running around terrorizing guests at the park, very good actors and they genuinely scared alot of people!

Stealth was out of actuion due to someone dropping thier phone on the ride on the Saturday and shattering the launch cable. This will take a week to replace aparently but Slammer was REOPENED! Samuari was put back together and looked like it wouldnt be long before it started testing. All the rides seemed to run well apart from Vortex which tripped and left us swinging and we had to wait for it to stop... which took a long time! The Swarm looked EPIC at night, a really fantastic attraction with the LED eyes and the fire effects are awsome. I will now move onto the mazes.

...SPOILERS...
The Asylum - 7/10
Very good maze, love the story but the lack of ending really dissapointed me this year. Still a firm contender in the maze lineup but was missing the Chainsaw ending. Some great actors especially one girl that looked like Samara from the Ring films! Very disturbing.

Saw Alive - 7/10
Same classic maze, actors were really good this season. Apart from that not much else has changed.

The Curse - 3/10
Very very poor maze. There were fire exits clearly marked, light pooring in through the sets, actors see bored and unintrested. Its tired, boring and was really not worth the 15 minuite wait. The scene and tired and if you have done t before it has not changed. The maze on the outside was almost falling apart and you could see the plywood outing around it. This maze needs to go next year as it is a very poor addition to the Fright Nights lineup.

Experiment 10 - 9/10
WOW! This maze really had me terified, the strongest of the entire bunch. You started off with the doctor breifing you about the previous experiments. You then go in for decontaminaton with a very creepy actor looking each of you up and down. You then are told to put your hands on your head and are locked into a very small room on your own. Water sprays on you as people bang against you cubicle and I swear someone was in there with me! You then crawl your way through a tunnel befor eyou head into the smoke and mirror maze. You then get taunted by the mental previous experiments before you head into an operating theatre. In here you see a woman operating on a human. The human then wakes up and kills the nurse before escaping and chasing you out of the building. Definetley improved from last year and it is the one to visit whilst at Thorpe Park.

The Passing - 4/10
Gimicky, waste of money and effectively, Hellgate with a bag on your head. You enter into a really poorly themed Mourge, the put a bag on your head and make you crawl through all of these stupid tunnels where nothing happens. You then get up and get scared by a couple of actors and wander through corridors which are really poorly themed. Its then all over... You hand back your stupid gimicky bag that doesnt add anything to the experience before you are handed a certificate. You then wander into a white room and then the lights go off and it says rot in hell. You then head off into a black dark maze where one actor jumps out at you and you just wander around aimlesly. Very poor addition to the park and most definetley not worth the £3.00 surcharge!

All in all not a bad Fright Nights but there are some areas that are in dire need of refreshing or investment. The Curse and The Passing should be avoided if running low on time in the park as they are very poor mazes. The Swarm is fantastic at night and is a must ride!

Vortex is the the next ride to die, it's struggling when starting to swing...

Shame about Stealth, seemed to be running ok on Friday.

Nice to know Sammy should be back soon, other than that Fright Night's on Friday was poor...

Thorpe Park are emailing people about The Passing and Fright Night's in general via SurveyMonkey.

I've given my feedback... :)

Went to fright nights today here is my review

The park setting:
Pros-good idea (0.5)
Many live actors in the dome who would pose for cameras while still in character (2)
It's open till 9 (3)
Cons-the crummy looking graveyard (-0.5)
Who laminates wanted posters? (-1)
Total marks 4/10

The curse:
Pros-Dark (1)
Live actors follow you. My friend was being followed by someone crawling on the floor (5)
Completely different from last year, making it shocking for people that have been in before (1)
Epic Afro guy following me (0.5)
Cons-Queue too long (-2)
Smoke, so can cough (-0)
Total marks:5.5/10

The passing:
Pros:Actors in roll seriously (2)
False ending(3)
Cons: If at the front of tunnel u can hit ur head, A LOT (-1)
They've just made you go through the x no way out air vents :/ (-2)
Total marks:2/10

The asylum:
Pros: flashing lights make it impossible to see jumpscares before they happen. (3)
Flashing lights make the Walls seem to move (2)
Chainsaw guy (4)
A live actor stands in the way, making you move towards the chainsaw guy (1)
The girl behind me got scared and hugged me :p (0)
cons: a live actor tried to scare me by saying "welcome to my bedroom" it just made me lol (0.5)
Bit with chainsaw guy too short (0.5)
I did not know the girl behind me and she did not give me her number (0)
Total marks:9/10

Saw alive was closed and I didn't have time for experiment 10
Best day ever, just cuz of asylum.

Just back from a day at AT.

First time doing their mazes, did them by my self (non of party wanted to do them) - result?

Made me realise JUST how brilliant Asylum is! Can't get down this year to do it, hoped AT would provide equal thrills, didn't.

Nicer friendlier attitude in general at AT, no question - but for maze quality, and most importantly, intensity, TP wins for me hands down.

Thorpe Park

Just an update for everyone, yesterday both samurai and slammer were in operation! Samurai had been testing all day and opened at around 6

6? Earlier than that I'm sure... Both Samurai and Slammer had some technical problems as well...

Stealth was open, but it was on one train, so I couldn't be arsed to queue 35 minutes for something when there's walk on B&Ms available...

Good, I needed to know as I am going for a fright night "peak" day, so it would be better if all rides were open!

What is it with Thorpe Park, and their apparent attitude towards ride maintenance & downtime?! Does anyone actually know?!

I just had a quick browse at a TP Forum and found they have an official questions board for the park. That's quite kool really, and something I must applaud, but I noticed a few people asked the question... Why the CAPITAL LETTERS?

Here is the response:

"THORPE PARK in capitals was a brand decision. By putting the text in capitals we can make our attraction stand out when it is being spoken about next to competitor attractions."

I'll leave everyone else to make their own minds up on that.

T said:
What is it with Thorpe Park, and their apparent attitude towards ride maintenance & downtime?! Does anyone actually know?!

Considering they weren't even sure if Slammer and Samurai would re-open this year, to get them opening is credit to Thorpe's maintenance.

I'd say if they had a higher maintenance budget, the park wouldn't see all the problems it has seen towards the end of this season.

TheMan said:
Just back from a day at AT.

First time doing their mazes, did them by my self (non of party wanted to do them) - result?

Made me realise JUST how brilliant Asylum is! Can't get down this year to do it, hoped AT would provide equal thrills, didn't.

Nicer friendlier attitude in general at AT, no question - but for maze quality, and most importantly, intensity, TP wins for me hands down.

Interesting review as the vast majority seem to be rating Towers mazes (except maybe Carnival) as being better than Thorpes. Asylum is a good (if a little stale now) maze though.

Asylum has always been my favourite maze at Fright Nights - I'll hopefully be visiting Thorpe this Sunday and next Monday, everything is dependant on my money (which is quite low atm :p) I am most looking forward to riding the Swarm in the dark!

Asylum is fantastic. No other maze left me willing to queue, or want to go around and do it again straight away.

I had hoped for more from ToTT and Sanctuary. ToTT, up & down stairs, up and down stairs - there also seems to be very little continuity - and the story is rubbish.

The Sanctuary, the middle just flops. The Dr was good, some clever stuff in the first couple of rooms, and quite an intense odd finish - and in fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel it was clever in other ways. However, I didn't go in it, to be thinking about it for days afterwards in an intellectual context. I went in it for intensity and thrills. None of them delivered this like the Asylum does.

The acting, is superb in the mazes, they are long, and at points exceptionally well themed - with some very, very clever and unique touches.

For me though, their size is their downfall, because their intensity is spread over too long a course. ToTT for example I'd have actually preferred 2 mazes, with more compact scares!

Asylum is about absolute madness from start to finish, at no point did I have that same apprehension that I got with those corridors, that specific Asylum aroma, the lights, it bombards the senses - it's an onslaught, and the end needs to no mention.

Compact, intense, packed with action/actors - they don't compare.

Sanctuary, feels more like a scare attraction, it's got a story, it's new and will get better - Asylum is exactly what it says on the tin. I didn't jump once in ATs mazes, saying that, I also did not leave with as big a grin as I do running out of those double doors!

I must say though, that is no reflection on AT maze actors, or theming - both of which are excellent!

To compare the two - I'd say, AT is more "Thespian" like, where as TP's are like a good old fashioned horror flick! It's a subjective experience.