Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Ted, 11th Jun 2012.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Ah right. Thanks for clarifying that @Prophecy!

Oh well; I guess we can look out for teasers this off-season!

2. venny

venny TowersStreet Member

Am I the only one who enjoyed Live Island Lates?

Nothing to do with the show, but bars and a DJ on the beach with late opening... what’s not to like?

Matt N likes this.
  3. Marcus

Marcus TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    Just wanted to say myself and a few friends attended the services day on Sunday and as a whole it was a fantastic day (and night) out and I felt very fortunate to be able to attend the event, especially after reading some of the horror stories of fright night queues. Operations were very impressive in my opinion for Thorpe Park, and you really noticed the difference of there being no fast track and a limited number of people at the event ( I think I was told 5000 by a staff member but I could be wrong?). Lots of actors for fright nights everywhere and it was great to get on some coasters in the dark.

Longest we queued was about an hour for Saw, which wasn't bad considering it broke down during the middle of us queuing and would of probably been only 30- 40 minutes otherwise, it continued to have problems throughout the day so we didn't reride it. Darren Browns Ghost Train also seemed to not be running very well either, long periods of time spent with people wearing the headsets but nothing happening (with people awkwardly taking them off looking at each other wondering if this is whats ment to happen, if I hadn't of done it previously I would of been known the wiser!)

Longest we queued for a maze would probably be 30 minutes, and that was for the silly bag vulcan one which made the queue move slower due to the design of it. Swarm seemed to be running better than I have ever known it, with it actually having a few forceful moments, which goes completely against my previous views of the ride being a snoozefest, has anyone else noticed it running better in the last few years?

Although I far from agree with alot of the investments from about 2010 onwards or the direction the park seem to be going, Thorpe really was running at their best on Sunday, so credit where credit is due. I just wish the rest of the years operations were so nice as I feel I would like to return under any other circumstances as fastrack makes the entire park into a bit of a chore unless visiting on a very quite day (which there isn't a quite day for fright nights!)

Matt N likes this.
  4. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I didn't go, but I personally think it's nice that Thorpe offered late night openings and lots of summer activities! Out of interest, what was people's problem with Love Island Lates, as it bought late openings which people have wanted for ages?

5. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Love island was the issue.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Alsty, Ash84, DiogoJ42 and 1 other person like this.
  6. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I've said before it's a good idea and fits their target audience perfectly.

However if attendance is down it's clearly been a fail.

Matt N likes this.
  7. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Ah right. Thanks for the clarification, guys! So it's Love Island that you guys didn't like!

8. IanSR

IanSR TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    Attendance was down for other reasons, sadly the bean counters will unlikely consider that and simply blame/cut the newest addition which was the Late Nights Love Orgy thing.

Matt N likes this.
  9. imanautie

Pretty much, it was pretty awesome being on swarm late at night during the summer

Matt N likes this.
  10. TPC

TPC TowersStreet Member

Love Island Lates should have worked. Late night openings should attract people who like rides. Love Island is very popular for millennials. It completely failed for numbers, so one has to wonder why. Maybe having a love island event in a walking dead themed year wasn't the greatest idea.

11. imanautie

Both have zombies so they fit together nicely ;)

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  12. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Thorpe's woes continue. Year after year rumours leak out that the park is underperforming, yet the park is and always has been a lousy day out when it's busy.

Though I can't be sure, I'd like to think these issues are connected and that guest numbers would start to rise if they could consistently offer a better day out.

Bert2theSpark and RicketyCricket like this.
  13. Ash84

Ash84 -

Exactly this. TP had a very good run of Summer Nights a few years ago, which saw pretty much everything this love island nights had, without the tasteless IP attached.

Bring back Summer Nights!

Scott, IanSR and ringo like this.
  14. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

Even island beats would have had a success if they hadn’t messed about with needing xyz of tickets / passes to see the live stage.

As much as enthusiasts will hate it, the loss of chart music across parts of the park has killed the atmosphere, I still believe 2015 / 2016 was the best years in a while.
    The introduction of IMAscore everywhere has turned the park into the same old experience but with chart music you saw happy people who enjoyed themselves.

Emma99 and Ash84 like this.
  15. Ash84

Ash84 -

If chart music worked then it should stay IMO.

TP is bordering on being an amusement park with a POP system for me. I mean the themed sections are in a worse state than Towers. The Beach, Swarm Island and the Lost City just about get away with it, but to have Amity split by Angry Birds 'land' (which itself is an insult to Thomas Land, Nickelodeon Land and CBeebies) whatever zone Inferno is in, Detonator surely should be in, where exactly are the Ghost Train and that pile of turd that is I'm a Celebrity? Saw 'island' and Old Town are as farcical as each other, with no boundaries between them (and a ride called Samurai belonging in neither)

What is the Walking dead classed as, (I haven't been this year) and have any attempt's been made to theme/include/exclude that yellow, blue and red monstrosity directly outside it?

Last edited: 8th Nov 2018
    WickerManiac, Alsty and DiogoJ42 like this.
  16. IanSR

IanSR TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    The public performance license required to play chart music was probably culled in cutbacks, they are quiet expensive and are scaled cost wise to potential total audience, which for Thorpe would put them on the same level as a local radio station.

DiogoJ42 and imanautie like this.
  17. Coaster

Coaster TowersStreet Member

Thorpe used to have much better themed music, I remember when every area had a unique feel and theme, back when coherence and quality was a priority and not short-term "tacked-on" IPs which have ruined the look and flow of the park.

Mad decisions like getting IMAScore to re-hash the Colossus and Inferno themes to include the "iconic melody" has stripped out the atmosphere of these rides completely.

The chart music was probably better than the IMAScore stuff, but the original soundtracks were what made Thorpe.

Ted, jon81uk, Emma99 and 3 others like this.
  18. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Hmmm... I'm sure that only a year or two back, everyone was drooling over IMAScore and everything they did...

19. imanautie

IMAScore is good, only having IMAScore isn't fun.

Ted and DiogoJ42 like this.
  20. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Over-saturation of any company leads to issues...

Especially when the company requested them seem to give the most unimaginative brief possible...

HermanTheGerman and Alsty like this.