• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Colossus and Infrerno a total disaster, no surprise there. I've no idea why Inferno always seems to be so badly operated but they need to learn a thing or two from Towers. Add time for the trains to move through the station and you're looking at more like 3 minutes between dispatches which is only 560 people/hr, less than half what it should be getting.

Stealth should be much faster, to get the theoretical 1000+/hr it should be launching every 70s or no, not sat in the station for 75s.

Saw seems pretty easy to operate efficiently, so no surprises to see it come out on top, not a bad effort from Swarm either but again with the way the ride is set up fast dispatches should never be an issue.

Colossus and Infrerno a total disaster, no surprise there. I've no idea why Inferno always seems to be so badly operated but they need to learn a thing or two from Towers. Add time for the trains to move through the station and you're looking at more like 3 minutes between dispatches which is only 560 people/hr, less than half what it should be getting.

Stealth should be much faster, to get the theoretical 1000+/hr it should be launching every 70s or no, not sat in the station for 75s.

Saw seems pretty easy to operate efficiently, so no surprises to see it come out on top, not a bad effort from Swarm either but again with the way the ride is set up fast dispatches should never be an issue.
Thing is with inferno they seem to rush as they are undoing belts as the train is pulling in not when its stopped.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

What was going on with Inferno? They released the back two rows but I couldn't see any reason why.

And if you leave the air gates open like they did, don't be surprised when people wander in and take seats that are already taken, or leave their stuff in the cage ready to cause chaos later when they get off and it's in the wrong side...

There is a psychology to operating rides. The way you open and close the air gates, when you lock the harnesses, shut the exit gate and how the staff move around the platform all affect how quickly guests react. If everything looks fast and efficient then people tend to get a shift on. If everything looks too relaxed then guests tend to take their time as well, making things doubly slow.

Well there is a reason why the staff are allowed to get away with being lazy buggers... Fastrack.

If they've ever serious about guest satisfaction they would make it a priority to train staff to load/unload faster, or even offer incentives for consistently fast dispatches. It cant be that difficult but why would they change it when it clearly helps them make money.

Not sure how significant this is, but the old Bush BBQ location which changed to Sauce Sisters (or something like that), does not appear as an F&B location on either the website or app.

I wonder if the franchise didn’t work? I always thought Bush BBQ was one of Thirpe’s better dining locations, so if it reappeared, I wouldn’t be too upset.

Also appearing on the app is the statement that some of the F&B location are open at peak times only. I’d understand this if it were some of the minor units, but it seems to be locations like Pizza Pasta and even more surprisingly Fin’s Bar and Grill.

Probably some Merlin logic that unlocking one row and not rechecking the entire train would make people watching feel “unsafe” but unlocking and checking the whole train reinforces that safety is important
To be fair to merlin with the GP that's a thing.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

As Churchill once said, a five minute conversation with the average person shows just how stupid some people are, and if you took that as a representation of the average intelligence level, then 50% of the population are even more stupid.

Maybe if Merlin spent less time pandering to the < 50% then the other >50% wouldn't have to spend their visits complaining about terrible operations.

My brother-in-law is a fine example of, no matter how much you simplify something for him, he still won't get it, Merlin should stop pandering to these people and just go back to the old operating procedures with a little bit of common sense thrown in (say like if the computer says there is a car stuck on the track somewhere, go look for it rather than assuming the computer is wrong").

Unfortunately we live in a country where common sense is almost non existent. Therefore health and safety rules are ridiculously OTT, especially with the big corporate companies like Merlin.

For example in Europa and Efteling they have a train running across the footpaths all over the park with no barriers, guests are trusted to not be an utter moron and get run over. It would be nice to have this type of leniance over here, but the lack of trust stems from the culture of us generally being a bit thick.

I don't really think it's a case of people being overly thick, it's just people in general are so used to being told what to do and following these overbearing rules/instructions, that when left to their own devices they are clueless, it's why you get idiot presenters asking a women if she can twerk, when any normal sane human being would know in this day and age, at the event in question, that particular phrase should have been avoided.

I was at the natural history museum the other week and people were queuing up at the bag check following each other like sheep when there was no need, the signs clearly said "you may be asked to submit to a security check" not "you must stop at security upon entry", I walked past, bag on back, totally unchallenged.

As you say in this country we have a culture of over regulation, but half the time it doesn't even make the slightest difference, stupid people will ignore signs and try to cross things they shouldn't, others will wade into rivers to save a dog even though they can't swim themselves, and others will drive off the side of a dock because they misheard "turn left in 100 yards" for "turn left" from Suri whose been dictating their journey to them for the last three hours.

I could go on all day about this, but won't bore you.

Last edited:
Had a look at the menu for Sticky Sisters but it was quite expensive. Without the MAP discount on top of that, I'd rather go elsewhere. I think the Fish and Chips outlets have the best chips because they have different fryers.

This might be interesting for the technical enthusiasts here (like me); Nemesis Inferno has had a new lift chain installed!

(Will start at 1:37)

The last survey I did at Thorpe Park was asking questions about a new hotel so they are definitely thinking about this. It's the only Merlin Park without permanent accommodation. Merlin have been busy building new hotels at other parks too so this is probably the most likely speculation to be true.

The last survey I did at Thorpe Park was asking questions about a new hotel so they are definitely thinking about this. It's the only Merlin Park without permanent accommodation. Merlin have been busy building new hotels at other parks too so this is probably the most likely speculation to be true.
Would that be to replace shark or find a new location? If so where

The plans were already made for a hotel on the other side of the lake with a boat shuttle to the park. I imagine it would be similar to that. (Located in the last posted video).