Thorpe Park General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by TedTheHuman, 11th Jun 2012.

1. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

They certainly did, was £10 initially, think that rose to £15 around 2016. Not so sure about last year or so but pretty sure it was an option at £10 again, and was a £10 charge for AP's.

The ticketing got out of control at one point, with normal tickets, summer nights, island beats and Ministry of Sound all clashing with different prices, tickets and access.

2. Stuie

Stuie TowersStreet Member

Last year Ministry of Sound 6pm tickets were £10

3. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Ministry of Sound is not normal opening hours, you can't use a day ticket to get into the event. Also technically those nights are open until 3am not the 10pm.

4. jon81uk

Why would there be a charge for annual passes just to stay in the park until 10pm? If you arrived at 10am you can stay until 10pm (8pm this year) in the summer, there is no extra charge.

Unless you mean Ministry of Sound which is a separate ticketed event where day tickets are not accepted. the normal late nights (called Love Island Lates in 2018) are included in day tickets.

5. TPC

TPC TowersStreet Member

Last year, it was £10 for an evening ticket from 6-10pm if you didn't have any annual passes

IanSR likes this.
  6. Prophecy

Prophecy TowersStreet Member

I believe pluk is referencing the Summer Nights event in previous years, which incurred a charge for Annual Pass Holders.

7. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Yes and yes!

There's been such a mix of options over the last few years it's hard to recall exactly what was what, but that £10 charge was a thing for no extra ents (Moss, beats, FN etc) at some points, both with and without various levels of AP.

At 20:00 close those upcharge revinues will surely not be an option.

8. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I doubt very many people took them up on the evening ticket offer to be honest. Thorpe isn't particularly easy to access for most people and I suspect a lot of those who would be tempted by that kind of offer would have taken them up on their dirt cheap season passes anyway.

The usual "lost revenue" from closing earlier is because people won't spend money on food whilst they're at the park. But remember that, unlike at Alton Towers, there's an easily accessible restaurant which remains open after ride close In the form of the Bar & Grill. I suspect with an 8pm close a lot of people would still choose to eat there after ride close so perhaps lost revenue from food and drink would be minimal.

I'm genuinely surprised they've kept the close as late as 8 to be honest considering how dead the park often seemed to be for these events. But I guess if Oakwood can manage it Thorpe certainly can

jon81uk likes this.
  9. TPC

TPC TowersStreet Member

I only went for the evening so paid £10. However, at first the staff member was confused and had to ask a manager about what I was referring to.

ThisGuy likes this.
  10. MattyH

MattyH TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Alton Towers Monorail
    Thorpe has a regular bus service to Staines Station and direct service to London from there and if that's not an option, it's not exactly far from the busiest motorway in the country? I'd say it's a lot more easy to access versus Towers.

DiogoJ42 and RicketyCricket like this.
  11. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I know this. Obviously it's a lot easier to access than Alton Towers and obviously it can be done.

But late night opening with cheap tickets only really works for city centre parks where people can literally walk / drive down to the park within 10-15 minutes or for parks with a significant on site resort to act as that "catchment" area.

Thorpe has neither. Are you really telling me anyone is travelling from London or via the tediously slow public transport to go to Thorpe for four hours in the evening? Nah. It's not accessible enough.

12. TPC

TPC TowersStreet Member

Fright nights the park remains busy and that closes at 10pm

13. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Wild Mouse(Decd.) Blackpoo
    I have been stuck on a train between Staines and Waterloo for three hours at teatime.
    Our evening out in the west end was cut in half.
    But it made us realise how lucky a lot of us are, my commute usually takes about twenty minutes all day, travelling between four customers.
    A lot of us coaster freaks want evening openings throughout the peak season...but is seems that punters in general simply don't.
    No excuses ever for 4pm closures at any park, ever.
    Kick em out into the rush hour peak...thanks.

14. jon81uk

Aha that makes sense, think that was two or three years ago? They realised quite soon it didn't work having a separate event for evenings and last year it was just long hours.

15. IanSR

IanSR TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    They did bring in a £10 4-10pm evening ticket for non-MoS guests at MoS nights last year in an effort to fill the park out somewhat because nobody was turning up for the MoS events, if you were an MoS guest you got one particular wrist band and were allowed everywhere and if you were a AP/Evening ticket holder another type of wristband and wasn't allowed in the dome after 6pm, as others have said, even staff were confused over what wristband allowed people into where and it was made more amusing by day years being allowed to stay until 10pm too even though they didn't have a wristband at all lol.

16. Stuntman707

Stuntman707 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    MoS has always been a complete disorganised shambles. I hope the event has been scrapped for good this year. Not a surprise to me at all that people stopped turning up to it.

17. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Not really. First couple of years were excellent; park closed to all at end of normal day, emptied, then reopened an hour later with invariable walk-on coasters and a couple of supporting flats (and tidal once!), loads of food and bars set up, music in dome started around 8, rides shut around 10 and people gravitated to the dome. Was simple, had a great atmosphere and worked well, often sold out as a result. Music and club set up was decent if not perfect dues to the reality of it being in a big cavernous dome. I certainly had some really good nights there.

It became a mess when it started clashing with other events and lost some of its identity as a result. Shame really, it could still have a place with the right focus and set up.

Robert.W likes this.
  18. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

I agree. Did two MoS last year one both nights were complete garbage and I was back in the cramped shipping crate before 1am trying to sleep

19. John_P

John_P TowersStreet Member

20. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

The cynical part of me would say this was nothing but a publicity stunt “our guests enjoy it so much they are always screaming” especially as this nugget shows there hasn’t been complaints about noise.