• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

I imagine SW8 may not happen until 2017. Four years is the typical gap and they might revert to that I guess.

Yeah I have a feeling that SW8 will be in 2017. Wouldn't surprise me if Merlin are moving ever so slightly away from their 3 year investment cycles to a model that they see as more sustainable. Ie big coaster every 4 years.

:)

Tom said:
I imagine SW8 may not happen until 2017. Four years is the typical gap and they might revert to that I guess.
That is a possibility, but in the development plan, a new large attraction is proposed for 2016, which may or may not be SW8.

I'm not entirely sure I would believe that. I've read that passage in the planning document, and if I remember rightly, it was basically saying "if we build this hotel here, the earliest we could build a Rollercoaster on this site is 2016".

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Merlin were to move to a 4 year Development plan, spending around £20 million every third year on many of their theme parks cannot be sustainable in the long run.

They have pushed Thorpes next coaster back as it was due in 2015 but Thorpe isn't doing too well at the moment. Based on the fact they are not getting a new ride in 2013 i would guess Merlin are re-thinking Thorpe's strategy as the park shouldn't be doing as bad as it did with a new coaster.

Looking forward to SW8 hopefully it will be better planned than sw7

But would like to see how thorpe go on after the swarm

Dave said:
They have pushed Thorpes next coaster back as it was due in 2015 but Thorpe isn't doing too well at the moment. Based on the fact they are not getting a new ride in 2013 i would guess Merlin are re-thinking Thorpe's strategy as the park shouldn't be doing as bad as it did with a new coaster.

There's a part of me who thinks it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction, as the summer events really affected the London industry quite heavily in a slightly negative light...

Benzin said:
Dave said:

There's a part of me who thinks it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction, as the summer events really affected the London industry quite heavily in a slightly negative light...

It's complete rumor but the suggestion is Thorpe was the worst performing park in Merlin in 2012, even with the Olympics it shouldn't be that low. Chessie is only around the corner and reputably did better.

I think there's a factor of "Oh, they're adding a new Coaster, when they added SAW the park was packed, let's not go this year". Many people I know had this opinion. The Swarm seemed to be a bit of a flop too, lot's of people branded it as 'boring' or 'tame'.

The current park brand has stood for around 3 years now, so I'm hoping along with this announcement they'll be giving the park a more professional branding style.

Thorpe Park

I think what we will see is continued pushing/promoting of The Swarm, almost as if it were new for this year.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Tom said:
I think what we will see is continued pushing/promoting of The Swarm, almost as if it were new for this year.

I agree Tom.

Have they also realised, that the group with most disposable income in a recession, isn't actually the group with the highest unemployment rates?

Never Merlin, you don't say??

Moving into such an area, to actually put off normal visitors was utterly ridiculous, and how they thought that would work, they must have had an absolute idiot in charge. They are obsessed, with diving people into marketable groups, to either advertise to, or segment into parks, and anyone with half an ounce of real world marketing knowledge, knows this is completely unsustainable in a big operation like a theme park!

Chessie, is not just a kiddies park, Alton Towers never was, and never will be a "family" park in the sense so many people think of it, (though arguably, it is the only true family attraction they have), and Thorpe was never meant to be just for teenagers.

It divides families, and was stupid. Thorpe struggling is one of those true "quelle surprise" moments.

The atmosphere went out the gates, along with common sense, when they changed the "marketing" to those stupid bobble heads up to no good around the park. It was low brow, crap humour, and they decimated the remaining family attractions and what for? Nothing.

I hope this is a sign, that they will get back on course, and make Thorpe a more enjoyable place to visit again.

It was the worst performing park last year because their incredibly expensive new ride was spectacularly average, quite boring compared to the rest of the park's offerings, and just generally completely lacking in any kind of imaginative spark or layout pizzazz.

That is not a good reason for a park to under perform against the likes of the ever neglected Chessie.

What is, is that families pooled funds in difficult times, and went to attractions they could all afford as a family. Now that demographic will not visit Thorpe because of their own stupid marketing.

This year, much like the year after Sw6, should be a bad one - because everyone goes, realises it is rubbish, (which I don't think Swarm is by the way, I absolutely love it), or the coaster doesn't live up to it's ludicrous hype and moniker, and goes elsewhere the year after.

Their marketing was just odd last year, an amazing, one of a kind (in the UK) coaster, and you barely heard a relative peep out of them about it.

I couldn't quite believe it.

I think it would be easy to pin point the Olympics as the main cause, but Chessington hasn't struggled apparently? The only thing I can think is that young people haven't got the money for a day out as readily as Thorpe Park would have hoped.

I don't imagine we'll see a rapid shift in marketing and I certainly don't see the Thrill Capital stuff being dropped. As far as whether The Swarm was a success or not, I'd say it was probably closest to Air at Alton Towers. A fabulous experience but not a thrill. Nemesis thrills you, Stealth shocks you, Saw scares you. What does the Swarm do? It excites you, but it doesn't scare you. Therefore I don't think it quite fits the bill at Thorpe Park.

A shame because I'd say it was the best themed ride in the UK! Oh and before I get any 'nemesis' arguments, by comparison The Swarm has a crashed plane and a fireball firetruck. Only thing is that there's very little landscaping as there doesn't need to be because of planning. The Swarm is the best themed ride in the UK, no questions.

It was quite well noted that the young adult classification have been hit rather badly, and in turn are not spending. Apparently, the 2012 gate figure was expected to be lower than 2011, even with a new coaster, yet didn't manage to hit targets. Though not seen any solid evidence.

What solid evidence we do have of Thorpe struggling, and this target market, is in the Merlin financial report June 2012 (which came out in November). It's available on their website if you wanna go look.

Jonathan said:
RideRater published this article less than an hour ago.

Thorpe Park to install next rollercoaster in 2016

Thorpe Park will install its next major rollercoaster in 2016, according to planning documents.

Files accompanying the application for the forthcoming Crash Pad accommodation reveal that a ride originally planned for 2015 would now not appear until a year later.

The park identifies that it is now to concentrate on its accommodation offerings before then.

A medium-term development plan released in 2010 identified areas that would potentially host the ride, which would stand at 40 metres tall.

Park operators Merlin Entertainments are reportedly considering a wooden rollercoaster among a number of steel options for the investment.

At least they're getting a new coaster, even if it may be pushed back a year. One issue I can think of is that this would put it in direct competition with SW8 at Towers if it gets built for an opening in 2016, and I'd question the logic of having two coasters opening at Merlin's two biggest parks in the same year.

2016 is marked for a large indoor ride though isn't it? Granted it could be an indoor coaster but could be marketed very differently to an overt coaster.

The Psychoaster said:
Jonathan said:
RideRater published this article less than an hour ago.

Thorpe Park to install next rollercoaster in 2016

Thorpe Park will install its next major rollercoaster in 2016, according to planning documents.

Files accompanying the application for the forthcoming Crash Pad accommodation reveal that a ride originally planned for 2015 would now not appear until a year later.

The park identifies that it is now to concentrate on its accommodation offerings before then.

A medium-term development plan released in 2010 identified areas that would potentially host the ride, which would stand at 40 metres tall.

Park operators Merlin Entertainments are reportedly considering a wooden rollercoaster among a number of steel options for the investment.

At least they're getting a new coaster, even if it may be pushed back a year. One issue I can think of is that this would put it in direct competition with SW8 at Towers if it gets built for an opening in 2016, and I'd question the logic of having two coasters opening at Merlin's two biggest parks in the same year.

2016 is marked for a large indoor ride though isn't it? Granted it could be an indoor coaster but could be marketed very differently to an overt coaster.
Ah, yes, of course.

That's an excellent point thefatone - I've not viewed any actual evidence for these gate figures.

I know it was mooted as rumour anyway, but it would be no great surprise.

Thomas said:
It excites you, but it doesn't scare you. Therefore I don't think it quite fits the bill at Thorpe Park.

A shame because I'd say it was the best themed ride in the UK! Oh and before I get any 'nemesis' arguments, by comparison The Swarm has a crashed plane and a fireball firetruck. Only thing is that there's very little landscaping as there doesn't need to be because of planning. The Swarm is the best themed ride in the UK, no questions.

That is a very good point, it isn't "scary" as such, but attempts to be in theme. Though I have to admit, that first twist into the drop had me ha-ha!! That is one of my favourite bits, of any coaster anywhere! The theme is great, though I am not so convinced by the church I have to say. It all felt too open in some regards, and I felt needed something indoors where atmosphere can build a little. That really is my only criticism of the ride.

It will develop and settle in I feel, I love shiny new coasters, but feel this is one that actually needs to feel a bit more worn in, and I believe will actually get better with age and a little rough edge here and there. It felt too clean almost.

It is a spectacular attraction though, and I actually feel sorry for it in that, I don't feel it is appreciated for how good it really is yet.

An indoor church station could've been an exceptional atmosphere builder, especially if they'd left it partially open for the inline that goes over it...

I think it's why I prefer Raptor over Swarm, it just feels more complete...

Chessie succeeds due to having a high MAP number of guests and having that nostalgia thing with of course the zoo factor as well... Whilst it won't hit numbers of Thorpe on a constant basis, it does well enough for itself but just doesn't get the investment for some reason... If the management pushed themselves forwards toward getting some decent investment for infrastructure and attraction purposes, that park could go a lot more forwards than Thorpe can with it's current situation of being American...

It's weird really how different the parks are... And Thorpe seems to be following a very Cedar Fair like operation...

I don't understand why the guests having MAPs at Chessington is better than one off paying guests? I'd of thought it was the other way round