• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Different markets really - depends on whether they purchase their APs at chessie, and also it brings families more often, and families are the biggest secondary spenders. Wonderful!

Doesn't Chessie usually sell most of the MAPs purchased each year? I should think that contributes highly to their position in Merlin's park ratings.

So does this mean we'll see Chessington receive a little more help if they can rival a park with brand new roller coasters here there and everywhere? :D Especially when half of the park is falling down and their new attraction was.... well... let's not go there. :p

Also, does this mean we'll see Merlin rely on their market research a little less? If they predicted that they'd do better with this new ride and that wasn't the case, perhaps it's time for a different strategy? If the Swarm didn't impress as many people as new rides from Merlin should then something somewhere needs altering. I honestly wasn't impressed at all with the Swarm and I hope this will make Merlin and the attractions realise that people are wanting more from them for how much they're charging people.

BigAl said:
So does this mean we'll see Chessington receive a little more help if they can rival a park with brand new roller coasters here there and everywhere? :D Especially when half of the park is falling down and their new attraction was.... well... let's not go there. :p

Also, does this mean we'll see Merlin rely on their market research a little less? If they predicted that they'd do better with this new ride and that wasn't the case, perhaps it's time for a different strategy? If the Swarm didn't impress as many people as new rides from Merlin should then something somewhere needs altering. I honestly wasn't impressed at all with the Swarm and I hope this will make Merlin and the attractions realise that people are wanting more from them for how much they're charging people.

Absolutely agree with everything bar for the fact I actually really enjoyed The Swarm, except it felt a little too open, which I felt resulted in a lack of atmosphere like Saw/Nemmy etc has indoors.

Having it completely exposed, just loses a bit of that claustrophobic feeling you can get crammed into a station. Other than that, I felt it was excellent.

I would imagine the reason Thorpe did so badly last year is that you reap what you sow, and in recent years they (Merlin as a whole but Thorpe especially) have sown a whole heap of bad experience in millions of guests who have simply not returned, especially now the money is tight (and especially tight for their core narrow young target market).

-People have stopped falling for the something new and amazing advertising to entice them in, then realising they've been conned when the new ride is crap or seriously mismarketed (storm surge, 13).
-The gate price is artificially inflated to make you feel like you are saving money with a voucher when you aren't. No one is falling for it when the vouchers are thrown at you like confetti in every shop in the land.
-The carpark is not only charged unnecessarily but the payment and barrier system is run so ineptly it is a really frustrating end to your day and leaves a very bitter taste in your mouth.
-The opening hours are considerably shorter then previously, but on top of that it is harder to fit things in to your day because...
-Fastrack has been squeezed as a massive cash cow at the detriment to everyones day, both those who do and do not purchase it. People get on rides with a seething resentment that either they have had to wait twice as long because people have paid their way passed them, or that they themselves have had to pay to jump the queue (but still often queue for a significant amount of time themselves).
-The park looks like it has been left to rot in many places, the upkeep of many areas is so poor and not just generally around the park but actually on rides as well.
-Many attractions have been closed and not replaced, adding to the above point but also a reminder you are getting less for your money all the time. Fungle Safari, CCR, Pirates, Arena, Saw Alive and for nearly all of last year Slammer and for much of it Samurai, all sitting there in various states of decay for all to see, each a very obvious closed attraction which until recently would have been included in the line up.

People around these places always seem to react to posts like this as if it is some sort of enthusiast trait to see all these negatives, that we are looking for some sort of impossible perfection and the public don't see it. That is absolutely wrong. I generally don't move in enthusiast circles but knowing of my park going habits friends and colleagues are always talking to me about their visits, and it is nearly always negative and focused on the above, especially car parking and fastrack. They will of course have huge positives from some parts of their day, usually a specific ride or two, but generally they leave feeling they have been ripped off and slightly conned. That is not a nice feeling to have spent your money achieving.

So I don't think last years bad gate figures are because of The Swarm, but inspite of it. I'm sure they've done exit surveys on riders and maybe they are not as high as would be hoped for, but no ride can be to everyones taste and most people I know liked it in quite a big way. So to come to the conclusion that The Swarm is the problem, and not everything around it, is insanity, but these strong 'rumours' persist that The Swarm is having more stuff thrown at it and some seats reversed in the pursuit of ticket sales. For Thorpe to lose confidence in the best thing they have going for them and start messing with it, turning it into a gimmick it was never designed to be, while so many other attractions around the park seriously need that attention is bizarre. To me Thorpe seem to be really losing their way.

Let's not forget that Thorpe narrowed their market to the well known to be of a high expediture teenage market...

The Swarm might not be the reason for bad gate figures, but if the rest of the park isn't great and the new addition is quite average, people aren't going to come rushing to ride it. They can't just rely on a new coaster every three years, they need to improve every aspect of the park.

THORPE PARK Official said:
Ready for your first clue about our plans for this year? Well here it is....

Are you brave enough to experience the evolution?

Posted today on Facebook by the park.

BigAl said:
The Swarm might not be the reason for bad gate figures, but if the rest of the park isn't great and the new addition is quite average, people aren't going to come rushing to ride it.
No, the new addition could be utterly fantastic, but if the rest of the park isn't great then people won't visit.

Swarm is most likely the least of the reasons why people haven't visited. People aren't geeks and slate it like some people on here, the general public absolutely adore air.. and considering this is very similar feeling, in pretty unique settings, I highly imagine they love the swarm too.

Issue is with the park itself, it's image and branding. The old marketing manager has left, and they're taking on a new direction itself. Let's see what that provides them with. Judging by the X development, with a reduced height restriction playing a key part, may be rather interesting.

Scott said:

Evolution of an existing ride perhaps. Could it be the rumored X re-theme?

Scott said:

Could still hint at the Swarm fiddling nonsense. Hopefully it is x though. Or both?

In my eyes Thorpe need a major re-brand as soon as possible. Though it doesn't look like they will be getting one this year. I just see their brand as so unprofessional and somewhat stupid really, it must put a lot of people off. Ok it may appeal to some teenagers but surely Thorpe must realise that it's not just teenagers (and chavs) that like thrill rides? They need to market themselves as a thrill park as that is what they are, but the way they go about it needs addressing. Lose the stupid people with massive heads!!

:)

An addition of Six Flags proportions...

And at least they have the decency to do it on old rides as an excuse to refresh them...

Scott said:

pluk said:
From Thorpes facebook hinting at what's new this year...

The sting is in the tail...

The Swarms rear seats backwards it is then.

These two posts make me believe that they're going to get both a re-theme of X and backwards facing seats on Swarm. The two posts don't really relate to each other and why would you "evolve" a ride that's less than a year old? Just the way they're worded from each other makes me think they're doing both.

Bit of a cop out really if they're doing that to Swarm ::)

pluk said:
From Thorpes facebook hinting at what's new this year...

The sting is in the tail...

The Swarms rear seats backwards it is then.

Have B&M ever modified a train to have backwards facing seats? If the rear ones were designed to be interchangable then fine, but otherwise I'm not sure they'd make that adjustment?

Backwards facing seats on the Swarm sound ridiculous. Flipping the rear seats around means that those riders no longer get to witness the rows ahead of them turning over for the first drop which is one of the main features of the ride.

People usually love the back seats of roller coasters, but I think this would put people right off them! It'd be a bit weird at first, but I think the novelty would quickly disappear. Don't do it, Thorpe!

I personally don't think they will turn the back seats of The Swarm around, it doesnt make sense to alter a roller coaster that is less than a year old... surely it would be better to invest in an attraction that needs some TLC, could they possibly be hinting at a new theme for X:NWO? something to do with a curse of an ancient pyramid? a snake? fitting with with the Lost City theme? just an idea but I am curious to find out what is going on! :D

I certainly agree it doesn't make any sense to do it, doesn't mean they won't though!

pluk said:
I certainly agree it doesn't make any sense to do it, doesn't mean they won't though!

Storm Surge didn't make any sense, but they still did it, so this could quite easily happen :p