• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I would Assume the police could say the bridge is off limits, which would then force Merlin's hand unless they have an alternative entrance.
They re-opened the exit gates 18:12, so I think that's unlikely.

They'll probably wait till the police have concluded their investigation, and I belive the park are assisting with it.

I'm not sure if there's enough time to figure out who's to blame before a decision to not open tommrow would need to be made.

Whilst I think they should be shut and there should be a police investigation, the park hasn’t announced they are closed tomorrow. So at this point I would assume the authorities have given them permission to reopen with the same security checks.

Which is ludicrous because from what my friends said today there were no security checks.

Not blame, but assuming they have found the weapon then the park would know if it was brought into the park or if it was something already inside (knife from restaurant etc)
Ah so your thinking it depends on if they get a rough idea if it was preventable?

It has already been stated that the police are investigating, and Thorpe have said they are assisting. An I right in thinking there's CCTV on the bridge?

To be fair to Thorpe Park, it is impossible for a security system to detect every possible security threat. If you have ever watched Police Interceptors then you will know how creative criminals can be to hide weapons and drugs from the police. The only way to be certain that a person is not carrying weapons or drugs would be a full body strip search which would be slow, expensive, invasive and massively unpopular. Airport security is far from impenetrable however the fear of being caught is usually enough to stop people bringing weapons into an airport, there are still some people who will attempt it and get through.

To be fair to Thorpe Park, it is impossible for a security system to detect every possible security threat. If you have ever watched Police Interceptors then you will know how creative criminals can be to hide weapons and drugs from the police. The only way to be certain that a person is not carrying weapons or drugs would be a full body strip search which would be slow, expensive, invasive and massively unpopular. Airport security is far from impenetrable however the fear of being caught is usually enough to stop people bringing weapons into an airport, there are still some people who will attempt it and get through.

I get that but my friends went today and only had temperature check, there wasn’t any security check at all. So the individuals involved must have known it was pretty easy just to walk in without getting any security checks.

I get that but my friends went today and only had temperature check, there wasn’t any security check at all. So the individuals involved must have known it was pretty easy just to walk in without getting any security checks.
They have made efforts to sort one of the bypass routes out by having bag free security at the end where they do temp checks.

Ah so your thinking it depends on if they get a rough idea if it was preventable?
Yeah, if it was from outside then you could argue it was possible to prevent if security were active.

@TPJames I think most regular visitors would know that security is pretty much pot luck. It’s part show to try and reassure you but I remember back when they introduced it people were on twitter complaining that waiting hours to get into the park was terrible when security weren’t actually doing anything and the fact there were legal ways to enter the park and avoid security all together.

This is an awkward one for security at this time. Covid will come into this. Can the normal security screening e.g. bag checks be done with non contact / social distancing rules.

Also security staff are being used for covid secure.

I wonder if this unique change in operations was abused by the attackers to get the weapon in?

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

This is an awkward one for security at this time. Covid will come into this. Can the normal security screening e.g. bag checks be done with non contact / social distancing rules.

Also security staff are being used for covid secure.

I wonder if this unique change in operations was abused by the attackers to get the weapon in?

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
When I went both times they physically touched the contents of my bag.

I think all they need to do to reassure the public is to make use of the metal detectors-they won't actually help but they give the impression they do.