• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I guess it’s basically just Mardi Gras, but better named so people know what it actually is.

I do think I prefer the second option, and can see that working quite well at Thorpe, could imagine a circus, some fairground rides, stalls, etc.

According to someone who was at the in person consultation, Thorpe want to keep at least one of the Old Town flat rides. I can see that ride being Rocky Express since it has a history at Thorpe. I highly doubt that it's been sold to another park.

I'm guessing it will be Lumber Jump they are keeping. It is the only one of the rides that is still listed on the website as of the announced closures.

Lumber jump has the smallest footprint and would be the easiest to move anywhere. Just look how many times Alton have moved the frog hopper (even for a few weeks at Christmas in the past). It could probably sit quite easily near to he flying fish (possibly near the kebab place where the lockers are) and easily fit in to the theme of the beach. You’ve also got spare near to storm surge (where the old kids rides used to be).

Rocky express would require them spending money on a platform, new op cabin, etc. timber tug also has a larger foot print.

On an interesting side note; if you’re nostalgic for the Thorpe Park Rangers, I recently discovered that the National Diving & Activity Centre near Chepstow, an attraction less than 10 minutes from where I live, actually integrated many of the former life-size Thorpe Park Rangers statues into a diving experience at the attraction:

This might be one for you to visit if you miss the Thorpe Park Rangers and are into diving!

I was just watching a video of Samurai that was from Oktoberfest last year as I might get a chance to ride it soon, but I can't help thinking it's so slow! If it's running like that in April I'll definitely give it a go.

For comparison, this is another travelling version Top Scan (but it actually travels) at Leeds Valentines fair 2020. I might actually be going this year so would get a chance to ride this one before Samurai, and it is noticeably faster and more intense (but not overly so).

Could it be that the LVF one is newer or has more regular maintenance given it's taken down after every period of operation?

I've never done a flat ride tht goes upside down before, and I think either of those might be a good start.

Last edited:
It has to be said, Samurai is getting slower after 23 years of operation and one move.
I would not be surprised to see it go in the near future (although admittedly Merlin have a history of keeping flat rides going long past their best before date).

It has to be said, Samurai is getting slower after 23 years of operation and one move.
I would not be surprised to see it go in the near future (although admittedly Merlin have a history of keeping flat rides going long past their best before date).
This is it operating back in June 2021, before the refurb; you can see just how much faster and more intense it was back then compared to the October video! :confused:

I thought refurbishments were supposed to make rides operate better, not the other way round :p

This is it operating back in June 2021, before the refurb;
I thought refurbishments were supposed to make rides operate better, not the other way round :p

Referb? It's not had one of those for years. It broke, they fixed it. There was a lot wrong with it.

A Top Scan running at maximum potential is one of the most intense ride experiences out there. Absolutely brilliant.

Samurai has always been a bit slow compared to the Chessington days but it looks pathetic nowadays.

Do NOT ride it as your first inverting flat. It was horrid, the slow movement crushes you to the restraint on your stomach, all your weight.
Luckily I'm very slim and quite light. As I mentioned in my previous post I might get to ride a different one at Leeds Valentine's Fair beforehand, which is faster. Or does your advice cover all Top Scans on general?