• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Despite being poorly written it doesn’t exactly sell Thorpe Park. If queues and breakdowns are written about more than the rides it’s not encouraging anyone to visit.
While I'm admittedly unsure when the writer visited, I know that there have been quite a few days of poor weather within the last month, which can't have helped.

How ridiculous is it that he is moaning about having to pay £4.50 for a return ticket on the shuttle bus, did he expect the train from Waterloo to stop off directly at the gates of the park? If he thinks getting to Thorpe park by public transport is bad then god forbid he ever tries going to Alton Towers by public transport, he’d probably never recover from the shock of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is a she!
And personally, having done the West End from Thorpe for the evening, I too thought the public transport links were a little poor.
People in the north think everywhere in Greater London is accessible on the tube!

He is a she!
And personally, having done the West End from Thorpe for the evening, I too thought the public transport links were a little poor.
People in the north think everywhere in Greater London is accessible on the tube!

I always found Thorpe to be very easy to visit by public transport if coming from central London. When I visited the other week after getting off my train at King’s Cross it was only a quick tube to Waterloo and then a 35 minute train journey to Staines and then 15 minutes on the 950 bus from the station to the park. The Waterloo to Staines trains are very frequent and the only problem though really is if you miss the last shuttle bus either to or from the park and then have to get a taxi.

I always found Thorpe to be very easy to visit by public transport if coming from central London. When I visited the other week after getting off my train at King’s Cross it was only a quick tube to Waterloo and then a 35 minute train journey to Staines and then 15 minutes on the 950 bus from the station to the park. The Waterloo to Staines trains are very frequent and the only problem though really is if you miss the last shuttle bus either to or from the park and then have to get a taxi.
But that is three different forms of transport to do a journey from inner to outer London.
Us northeners would expect a quick tube journey, with maybe a change of trains...not three different forms of transport.
We got stuck on the train going into the west end at teatime...Clapham junction said no...took us the best part of three hours, about the same as the original journey!

Does anyone know how much ride photos are and if Thorpe do an unlimited digital photos thing?
I can't seem to find anything on the website.

Last edited:

Living all of my life in an area of the country where public transport is made up of rolling stock that consists of old fashioned crap neither the South east or the north of England want anymore, i find it hard to sympathise with someone who had the luxury a couple of train journeys and a bumpy bus ride to a major theme park.

I mean there is an argument of improving the public transport links to Thorpe. As a theme park on the edge of the largest city in the UK, you’d expect visitor numbers to be far higher.

Thorpe relies more predominantly on car traffic (as do other RTP’s in the UK) when quite a large majority of their target age group (which I’d argue to be Gen Z and Millennials) probably, don’t have cars in London. You’re instantly alienating your target audience, in the immediate vicinity/catchment area of the park, quite quickly.

Although there are buses from Staines and the links from London are indeed probably better than transport links across other regions of the UK, I rarely see this spoken about or marketed in any way in terms of ease and convenience.

I think this all falls back to Thorpe’s functions not understanding their prospective customer well in my opinion.

I mean there is an argument of improving the public transport links to Thorpe. As a theme park on the edge of the largest city in the UK, you’d expect visitor numbers to be far higher.

Thorpe relies more predominantly on car traffic (as do other RTP’s in the UK) when quite a large majority of their target age group (which I’d argue to be Gen Z and Millennials) probably, don’t have cars in London. You’re instantly alienating your target audience, in the immediate vicinity/catchment area of the park, quite quickly.

Although there are buses from Staines and the links from London are indeed probably better than transport links across other regions of the UK, I rarely see this spoken about or marketed in any way in terms of ease and convenience.

I think this all falls back to Thorpe’s functions not understanding their prospective customer well in my opinion.

Yep, they really should sell the shuttle bus tickets on their website and take more ownership of that service.

Although it would also make parking look an even better deal if you see on the website £4 return for the bus per person but only £7 per car for parking. If there is 2+ people in the car the parking its the better option.

The Lower Dome toilets have reopened after their refurbishment, and they look fantastic!

Screenshot_20220414-145419.png
Screenshot_20220414-145441.png
Screenshot_20220414-145533.png

Automatic taps, soap dispensers and hand driers right next to each other and, most interesting of all, each cubicle has a light above it to show whether it's occupied or not. 🙂
Edit: forgot to mention that the LED lights are programmable too!

Last edited:
These toilets in the lower dome are the ones used for events/corporate hire etc are they not? Probably explains why they would be done to a higher spec than the average toilets around the rest of the park.

All this toilet chat, and it’s not even closed season.

These toilets in the lower dome are the ones used for events/corporate hire etc are they not? Probably explains why they would be done to a higher spec than the average toilets around the rest of the park.

All this toilet chat, and it’s not even closed season.
The public can access them as well. Also, the stairs connecting both levels are now back open.