• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

My tongue, as ever, was firmly in cheek Rob.
Could I add, swiftly getting back on topic, I have never had a bad day at Thorpe.
Two overnight Sun freebies, midweek low season, stunning ops, pleasant fellow punters.
Even the beer was drinkable.
And kebabs!

Today was not a good day. We were there from 10-12, got on Black Mirror Labyrinth and The Walking Dead, queued for Swarm and abandoned the queue after it went down, had some food and left when we realised the wind just wasn't going to drop all day.

Black Mirror Labyrinth is still not good IMO. The actors have been given two choices: either be really rude and unpleasant, or just repeat phrases like "I hope you are ready for... the labyrinth" and "the labyrinth is almost ready" all day. Neither choice makes for a good experience. If you get lost in the mirror maze, it's much more frustrating and boring than scary.

The Walking Dead is a ride I still like and it felt faster than usual but I really think they should stick rigidly to put the sign out if there are actors inside, don't put the sign out if there aren't because I heard two different groups persuaded to go on on the basis of "there's no sign, so the actors aren't there". It causes needless confusion. They were also letting people in far too often so the queue inside was much longer than I've ever seen it.

I understand that the coasters being closed isn't really their fault, but compensation needs to be better. Even those with annual passes still paid fuel, which is not cheap these days, to get on two major rides today at most. Chessington gave us vouchers purely because a few rides were down for maintenance- Thorpe can take note.

The food was great, though- Amity Kebab and really good value, we thought.

In the end we left just after midday and went to Legoland to avoid a wasted drive, which turned out to be a good choice as it wasn't too busy and almost everything was allowed to open.

In summary, it's true that the coasters being down today was out of Thorpe's control, but it meant that half our experience was Black Mirror Labyrinth, which I still think is just really... really bad.

Free return trip is better than nothing but assuming you can find a date when your group are all free to return, that's still doubled travel costs. It also doesn't help annual passholders at all.
Yes ideal if your single and live local. I have a family and job and live over 150 miles away so it would be better to use at any Merlin attraction

Yes ideal if your single and live local. I have a family and job and live over 150 miles away so it would be better to use at any Merlin attraction
Yeah I would have the same problem if my upcoming visit was affected as I'm a three hour and 170 mile drive away.

My tongue, as ever, was firmly in cheek Rob.
Could I add, swiftly getting back on topic, I have never had a bad day at Thorpe.
Two overnight Sun freebies, midweek low season, stunning ops, pleasant fellow punters.
Even the beer was drinkable.
And kebabs!

I have never had a bad day at Thorpe Park either.

That could be related to the fact that I've not been since 2012, however.

I’d have to say that I agree with the notion that I rarely have a bad day at Thorpe Park. Some are more enjoyable than others, yes, but on the whole, I do have a soft spot for Thorpe Park, and I don’t think it deserves the level of flack it often gets, personally.

I can only speak from my own experiences, however; if you had a bad experience there, I certainly won’t try and contradict you.

Fingers crossed that my visit in just over two weeks will be better than in 2013. It rained heavily all day and I hardly went on anything, although that was partly because I wasn't into riding coasters as much as I am now. Think the only rides I did last time were Depth Charge, Quantum (I remember my sister hated it and cried the entire time), Rumba Rapids, Loggers' Leap (RIP) and Flying Fish. This time I'm planning to do all the major coasters (not 100% sure on Stealth mind), all of the dark rides and most of the water rides and thrill flats. Swarm and Inferno are my most anticipated coasters, and Rush and Detonator are my most anticipated thrill flats. I may do Tidal Wave if the weather is nice.

Fingers crossed that my visit in just over two weeks will be better than in 2013. It rained heavily all day and I hardly went on anything, although that was partly because I wasn't into riding coasters as much as I am now. Think the only rides I did last time were Depth Charge, Quantum (I remember my sister hated it and cried the entire time), Rumba Rapids, Loggers' Leap (RIP) and Flying Fish. This time I'm planning to do all the major coasters (not 100% sure on Stealth mind), all of the dark rides and most of the water rides and thrill flats. Swarm and Inferno are my most anticipated coasters, and Rush and Detonator are my most anticipated thrill flats. I may do Tidal Wave if the weather is nice.

You should definitely consider trying Stealth, it’s such a short but brilliant ride that even if you didn’t like it you’d be back in the station before you know it, there’s only 15 seconds between launch and brake run.

Think the only flat rides I'll do are Rush, Detonator, Quantum and Samurai. I may try and brave Vortex if I have time. I nearly went on the latter 9 years ago, but decided against it once we'd spoken to the host at the exit gate.

Think the only flat rides I'll do are Rush, Detonator, Quantum and Samurai. I may try and brave Vortex if I have time. I nearly went on the latter 9 years ago, but decided against it once we'd spoken to the host at the exit gate.

Would have thought that if you can handle Rush and Samurai you will have no problem with Vortex. Depends what your tolerances are I guess. I can't handle swing rides (even pirate ships make me feel sick!) but always been totally fine with spinning.

Would have thought that if you can handle Rush and Samurai you will have no problem with Vortex. Depends what your tolerances are I guess. I can't handle swing rides (even pirate ships make me feel sick!) but always been totally fine with spinning.
I'm sure I'd be fine on Vortex, it's more a case of me being overly nervous and changing my mind at the last minute (a well-documented habit of mine).