• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

The vehicle reg recognition has only worked on one of my three visits to Thorpe so far this year. The other times were a nightmare as the pass wouldn't scan.

The vehicle reg recognition has only worked on one of my three visits to Thorpe so far this year. The other times were a nightmare as the pass wouldn't scan.

Oh dear, I suppose that isn’t too surprising given the other issues reported on these barriers.

When they were installed I am sure it was announced as the start of a roll out across all Merlin parks. The fact that never happened probably says it all about how well they have worked.

Sometimes the anpr works at TP Sometimes it doesn't.. having the sun set on the actual barriers and booths is not the best !

CWOA can also be a nightmare to get out.

Regarding ANPR, it is an unnecessary complication. Passes scan at the turnstile, why not in the car park? Couple of seasons back I probably used 5 different vehicles to go to Towers and you can only register one. Plus the ANPR can be very crap on black and silver reg plates

since those new barriers were installed they have been nothing but trouble. I bet they got them really cheap as it’s just some random comp, compared to ski data which yoy see at most car parks around the work, which actually work Well.

my previous Merlin pass never worked at Thorpe, In the end I gave up trying to scan and would just press the help button straight away. Most of the time they just open the barrier without even talking. I even asked in the ticket office building and they said the barriers are crap, and just press the help button.

my new pass is better, but it’s still very slow at recognising the bar code and then opening the barrier.

Managed to get to Thorpe for the first time in many years on Thursday, 2004 maybe was the last time I visited. Nemesis inferno was brand new, so yeah, 2004. I have just had no desire to go back, but finally bit the bullet. Good day ride wise.

Nemesis Inferno front row x3
Stealth x3
Swarm x3
Colossus x1
Saw x1
Ghost Train x1
Walking Dead x2
Rush x1
Rapid x 1

I noticed a lot of the speakers around the park are now RFC I think it is. Interesting how the parks are left to use their own manufacturer's these days, but back in Tussauds days it was strictly Bose. The Bose subwoofer above the Nemesis Inferno entrance is clearly blown and was popping quite badly, still played loud though. Shame they do not use the Bose wave cannons in the station anymore, they used to sound really great.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure maze FT disappeared when they changed from free entry to ticketed, which makes sense as (in theory) they can now ensure they won't get long waits. Not sure how well that works in reality as I've not been to FN in ages.

I'm pretty sure maze FT disappeared when they changed from free entry to ticketed, which makes sense as (in theory) they can now ensure they won't get long waits. Not sure how well that works in reality as I've not been to FN in ages.
Yeah me either hence why I asked. Cheers

Erm, what?

I think it’s a good idea. Some people might like to enjoy some of the attractions at Fright Night but might not wish to have an actor get right in their face or touch them, so if that’s the case you can wear one of these lanyards that just to indicate this. It’s a nice thing to introduce and may help some people feel more comfortable during their visit.