• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Having one fixed curve radius is generally bad, you want it to start off gentle, get tighter towards the middle then broaden out again. Whether or not that's what they've actually done on dipper is another matter.

That section of Colossus track seems like it should be relatively easy to fabricate - it's only 2 rail and rotates around a single axis at a constant rate, there are no complex curves. That said the mistake on PMBO last year is pretty obvious if you know where to look!

I really don’t get what’s going on with that track replacement. They removed the old track, removed all the paint and primed it, put the track back in to place so they could do winter maintenance on the ride, then they removed the old track and put the new track up. And now the new track has been removed.

It’s all very bizarre.
Lack of communication between Taziker and Thorpe? I haven't heard of a retrack that has happened like this before.

Jack Silkstone’s has uploaded a video where he’s in the park for a day. He meets 2 guys, one is called Tom. And what makes me laugh is how they're both excited because they have Prime drink, and Tom is wearing a new Thorpe signature top with a Vampire hat! 😂 What a combination.

In another behind the scenes video, Jack gets a more in-depth hands on with the new merchandise. From this and what I’ve seen generally on social media this week, it looks like a well improved range. The coaster pins are particularly quite good. No sign of Nemesis for the Towers ones.

Good to see Samurai has its logos or badges back on the main arm, it didn’t quite look right when it was testing without them recently.

DG95, I recognise that name from leaderboard of Chessington’s recent Jumanji game, didn’t he score about a billion million points?
Oh dear. It seems like some of the most successful people aren't always the most sensible.

So I’ve read online that the new colossus track was removed as it didn’t fit… any truth in that?
They apparently reinstalled the old track so that they could complete some testing of the trains before the start of the season. This old track was then removed once this testing had been done. It sounds like some of the new track was installed but I am not sure that there is any confirmation that it did not fit.

Thorpe did also say that this is a multi-year project so the ride is going to be a mish mash of freshly painted track and horribly faded track for a period of time. Although I worry that by the time they do finish, the first lot of new track will be somewhat faded as well!

Pretty poor show that they've not been able to get this done for the start of the season.

Seen it claimed that they went to Intamin but they'd only retrack the entire thing (presumably in one go like Nenesis).

Guess only thing that's stopped that is budget. Rather than the poor excuse Thorpe have given of keeping it running over the year.

There are times I wish I was a fly on the wall to see how Merlin plan things out as with so many problems they've had over the years such as this retrack I'm genuinely curious to know what goes down.

Thorpe did also say that this is a multi-year project
I saw that comment on Twitter, and took it with the opinion of there’s more coming in terms of improvements to the park generally.
Seen it claimed that they went to Intamin but they'd only retrack the entire thing (presumably in one go like Nenesis).
Maybe they saw my comment about why didn’t they go to Intamin and then they thought, “Remove it! We need an Intamin section!” 🤣

As for a Colossus retrack (something I’m happy to discuss despite becoming bored over a winter of playing the “what’s next for retrack” game), I’d be happy to see this get done completely. In parts, the ride is rough and painful, but some of that may be down to the trains. The supports for the ride look so cruddy and need sprucing up. The cobra roll pit could easily be brought back to its former glory. And filling in the lake around the loop was the was tying they ever did, it looked so much more better with water around it. The swans weren’t phased!