• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

That photo of the fences...Merlin seem to have a fetish for many dark themes...honestly shocked they haven't done an emo themed coaster or area to complete their many levels of darkness in their hearts.

Darkness in their hearts...would actually be a fitting rename for Thorpe given the dark themes galore.

Thorpe needs this years chessington style refresh next closed season!!
I could be wrong here, but I heard it said somewhere that Merlin are trying to pair these things with the major investments, which is why Chessington has received so much refurbishment work this closed season. As such, I wouldn’t be surprised if we did see some refurbishment at Thorpe Park ahead of Exodus’ opening.

Besides, Thorpe Park have done quite a bit of freshening up of their own over the closed season. The Containment container and the Saw Alive boat have both been removed and replaced with fresh new picnic areas, and The Swarm has received a fair amount of touching up as well.

One thing that strikes me this season more then most across all the merlin parks is the amount of rides which just haven’t opened yet (some of which don’t look anywhere near ready).
Most years start a season with rides closed - this year there may just be more. I’m not surprised at all.

Learnt something new today... Always wondered why blind launches (no countdown or lights) are a thing on Stealth, and it turns out that they do them if you ask. Not all the time, just sometimes. A friend's daughter got one today.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry I should have clarified, it means a launch with no lights or countdown. I've edited my original post to add that. 🙂

I don't get the obsession with these because you know when is going to launch anyway because you can hear the mechanics.
Only if you know what to look out for, and the vast majority of riders probably don't. I know the sounds on Rita but the launch always catches me off guard because the time from the point the brakes release and it rolling back a bit to the launch does vary a bit.

I noticed at the weekend the audio was slightly out of time compared to normal, with it launching after it’s finished it’s count down and launch audio.

Only if you know what to look out for, and the vast majority of riders probably don't. I know the sounds on Rita but the launch always catches me off guard because the time from the point the brakes release and it rolling back a bit to the launch does vary a bit.
If you're asking for a blind launch in the first place, chances are you're going to know what it does. I doubt Barbara from Tesco Express is going to toddle up to Thorpe Park on her one visit a year and ask for a blind launch on Stealth.