• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

This could be a really great improv-
OH GOD!!! ( o ) _ ( o )

...please don't let it be dubstep! :'(

It will be interesting to see if they have disabled some of the blocks, I dont doubt that coaster will fly around the final section if they have, however will that lower its throughput?

Very much looking forward to getting back on the coaster anyway, I've always liked the ride but felt it hasn't ever hit its full potentail for whatever reason.

Ash

If the block sections were taken out I am sure the ride would only last about 30 seconds. When they talk about "tunnels of light" I can imagine that they will use those sections for the tunnels?

The blocks on X are not flat though, they are actually gentle inclines, acting as mini lift hills. So the trains will still have to be driven up them by the kicker wheels. I guess it depends how fast the motors can go.

Thorpe Park

It says 'speed forward into tunnels of light' which obviously tells us it's going forward but could it hint towards the blocks being disabled so the kickers could just 'speed' the trains through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Could be. I wonder if they would need to replace the motors for that? Maybe we could get a Th13teen style mini launch? :D

Its also worth noting that with the use of tunnles for close proximity, and lights and sound the illusion of going faster than you really are shouldn't be too tough to create, should they choose to.

Ash

Very true.

The tunnel of red neon is the best bit of SM:M2. Let's hope the have one of those.

Thorpe Park

DiogoJ42 said:
Very true.

The tunnle of red neon is the best bit of SM:M2. Let's hope the have one of those.
Read: the only bit where the pain isn't unbearable... :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

for the first time, thrill seekers in the making will be able to face the challenge of X.

Looks like they might finally be doing something to sort out the 1.4m height restriction then (I imagine purely turning the trains round will contribute to this).

Properly gutted about this development, especially the turning forwards and disabling the blocks, but that's all for purely selfish reasons and hopefully this'll make the ride (which still pulls the crowds as it is) even more popular with park guests :)

Thorpe Park

This is my most anticipated UK attraction of 2013! I've hated this ride for years, purely because of the backwards element and the awful pacing with the stupid block sections!
This might give it a bit of a (tame) Eurosat feel, and that can't be a bad thing!

GAGrathea said:
Looks like they might finally be doing something to sort out the 1.4m height restriction then (I imagine purely turning the trains round will contribute to this).
X is now 1m tall to ride, those under 1.4m accompanied by adult.

Good drop of height restriction.

Tom said:
Benzin said:
As for those enthusiasts who verbally abused the staff member for not letting them ride backwards on the first train, you are pathetic, horrible people and I hope you get banned for reacting to something like that in such a manner... Does it REALLY matter to be the first people on a ride? No, to loudly abuse a member of staff in the station shows you don't deserve to, especially when you HAD tickets to ride it backwards anyways...

I hope those two enthusiasts get banned, because they were out of order and it gives the entire community of us (forums, groups, etc) a bad name...

Apologies, I wasn't at home this past week so only just seen this...

I knew they were enthusiasts because I spent enough time behind them waiting for Swarm to open to know this (due to topic discussion, etc, after 12 years odd in this enthusiast business, you kinda pick up on who are the real goons)... There was no doubt that they were enthusiasts and that their behaviour was embarrassing to say the least...

As for X, don't care... I have no desperate want to revisit Thorpe this year...

How exactly do you know it was two enthusiasts?

So me and Sammy had a day at Thorpe yesterday for opening (with an appearance from Dean, Diogo and Ted during the day). The park was very very dead, I have never seen a theme park so quiet, but that means we had done pretty much all rides by dinner which meant plenty of re rides and time to relax. Overall there were no issues during the day, slammer had a few issues and so did rush but all rides opened and most were on full capacity (most really didn't need to be), the only exception was swarm and collosus which were on one train. The staff also seemed happy and were all friendly and chatty.

We did backwards swarm a few times, its a interesting experience, but I wasn't really a fan, the drop was good but the rest wasn't,and being backwards it just felt so slow compared to forwards. I certainly wouldn't queue more than a few minutes for it, give me normal Swarm anyday!

A few minor updates I don't think have been posted, park entrance was playing its usual chart music, but its now more like a radio with talking I between, adverts and Thorpe jingles. Pre-recorded im guessing? Also staff have new jackets! Last year they all had horrible cheap looking red rain Macs, now they all have proper black coats with the Thorpe logo on the front. There has also been quite a few areas re painted or sorted, most ride stations smelt of paint.

To echo some of the stuff djtruefitt said, Thorpe was dead yesterday. At one point all of the coasters had one train but even then the queues were still very short. However despite saying that, Nemesis Inferno and Stealth both one two trains on around 1PM yesterday afternoon. To give you an idea on how busy it was, here's Nemesis Inferno's queue at around 4PM yesterday:

392787_4833402113258_1710788081_n.jpg

Colossus also had a similar queue at around 3 or 4, only difference was that there were a few more people queuing at the front. Stealth at one point was also a walk on and the queue was no more than 10 mins at around 2PM. Saw was also a walk on when me, Sam, truefitt and Diogo went on it. As for the other rides we also did Quantum and Rush, plus I did Rumba Rapids twice by myself.

As for the Swarm backwards, I thought it was great. The first drop is fantastic when going backwards and I personally enjoy it just as much when going forwards. The billboard near miss is great in appearance and effect (when going forwards) and I thought it was a nice little addition.

Overall, I had a great day yesterday. The amount of rerides and walk on queues made it a very enjoyable day at Thorpe.

My total ride count:

Stealth x8
Nemesis Inferno x6
Rush x5
Swarm x5 (2 Backwards and 3 forwards)
Saw x4
Rumba Rapids x2
Colossus x2
Slammer x1
Quantum x1

=)

The coats sound like their older coats - long and black with just the plain thorpe logo on it?

Never saw last years coats, though I swear I saw a couple wearing the typical old black ones.

thefatone said:
The coats sound like their older coats - long and black with just the plain thorpe logo on it?

Never saw last years coats, though I swear I saw a couple wearing the typical old black ones.

Last year the majority of staff had horrible looking red rainmacs, which all seemed to large and didnt have any Thorpe logo.

These are either black or dark blue, and have a small thorpe logo on the front, but nothing on the back (which I think there should be). I dont know if they are the old ones, but pretty much all staff had them this year and they all looked very clean and new.