• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

A picture of what could be the new ride cars for X No Way Out has been posted by Theme Parks UK on Facebook:

481334_498652083532618_2117879631_n.jpg

I don't think there's any "could" about it. :p
They look to have all new metal work, I'm just trying to work out if the shells are new or repained?
EDIT: No, they are new. :D
30a63aqo1483124k0qeg00.jpg

FURTHER EDIT:
Now I'm not so sure. The high backed seats have changed, but otherwise the cars are the same shape.

I'm sure they are exactly the same trains just repainted, with the head rests removed and new individual lap bars. They should be much more comfortable now, something like Thirteen's trains.

That photo from RCDB looks slightly different because it was taken with a strong flash, so you can't make out some of the curves and niches in the cars.

And that new photo was originally posted on Flickr by somebody else, not "Theme Parks UK". Naughty.

If they are the old trains, they have also removed the blisters for the speakers. I thought they were part of the same molding as the car?
Would Vekoma still have the molds to make new Enigma cars? Or could new shells have been made in-house? It seem that if they are the old shells, there has been enough bits removed from them to need a lot of holes patched up.

Either way, they look great.

You can see the indents where the speakers used to be. The trains were sent back to Vekoma for refurbishment over the closed season and have arrived late apparently.

Anyway Thorpe Park would never pay £1000s for totally new trains on its worst ride ever!

The scooped dents on the front were there before. The [former] location of the speakers looks pretty smooth to me.

You're probably right, of course. Getting Jerkoma to refurb the old trains seems the most likely answer.

electricBlll said:
And that new photo was originally posted on Flickr by somebody else, not "Theme Parks UK". Naughty.

I got it from the latter. Although they should have given credit to the person on Flickr ;)

Diagram time! :twirly: I meant these indents:

481334_498652083532618_2117879631_n_zps378f99f8.jpg

I hadn't realised that those protruding hubs were the mythical on-board speakers. I guess that's how not to do convincing on-ride audio, but it was a nice attempt to do something different. You could say that about X in general really.

Hehe. Yeah, it had speakers in front of you as well as behind your head (either side of the head rest). Not that they ever worked.

We it looks like we've sorted out the train mystery. My only concern now is what will the sound track be? I have a horrible feeling it's going to be brown-noise wubstep :(

As most of you are aware, there's a new marketing campaign by the park which involves getting people to visit a marketing site for The Swarm backwards through a referral link. Discussion about this particular campaign is of course permitted, but posting your own referral links within posts on the forum is not. This is to ensure the topic (or forum!) doesn't become a spamming ground for referral links.

I've removed/edited a number of previous links, and any further referral links will also be removed, members who continuously ignore this request may have their posting ability restricted.

So basically, Thorpe's new marketing campaign for The Swarm is to get other people to do it for them! :p

To be fair, it's a nice idea. It's fun for those who do it, there are nice prizes for the winners and it will generate awareness. I'm not convinced that it will work as well as they want it to though.

:)

I must admit I found the website pretty spam-encouraging when I checked it out and feared that forums would bear the brunt of it. It's pretty shameless but they needed to try something after last year, I guess.

Those new trains look lovely. A lot more minimal than the old ones, in terms of design.

Is that 'Thorpe Park' graphic on the front some sort of new logo for the park?

Glad they've got rid of those headrests, they always make rides worse and are utterly useless!

I imagine the original bodyshells would've required a lot of work to make them that shape. Those shells could well be new, as Backyardigans: Mission to Mars at Movie Park Germany received new shells of the same design for 2008 according to RCDB:

764800cuu95kvp81dlt0f4.jpg

Photo is from the Rollercoaster Database, and is by Rik Engelen.

I've no idea whether the 'new' trains have the same chassis as before, but if so it's interesting that the Enigma and Roller Skater chassis appear to be identical.

Roger Ramrod said:
Is that 'Thorpe Park' graphic on the front some sort of new logo for the park?

I'd imagine it's just for the ride, it looks terrible! Reminds me far too much of....

games-workshop-logo.jpg