• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

In just 2 days at Phantasialand last year, I saw high level glass being cleaned and paving areas being floor machined. In 34 years of visiting Towers, I haven't seen those things done once. I'm sure they happen every now and then, but not regularly.

Rather than being a PR boon, I think this whole "Sparkle" thing looks more like an admission of failure. If you have to announce the fact that you're finally doing something about the state of your park, then it indicates there's an underlying problem to be solved in the first place.

If Merlin paint everything that looks crap at Towers purple, I wonder what Thorpe's job lot colour to be slopped over rot will be?Red? Blue perhaps?

If Merlin paint everything that looks crap at Towers purple, I wonder what Thorpe's job lot colour to be slopped over rot will be? Red? Blue perhaps?
Does this mean that they are planning to theme everything on the Red and Blue Beatles albums then? :p Wouldn't be against that personally...

I don't see this as a "things are changing" either - we all thought the same thing about TLC at Towers, but that lasted a few years and then stopped happening. It would be nice for both parks to put more effort into the more cosmetic side of upkeep e.g. the state of the Smiler and Colossus.

And let’s be honest, TLC was just an excuse for them to close all those rides during a mega money saving year.

Surely the people who these projects are aimed at (namely enthusiasts and annual pass holders, as I doubt that the public notice or care) will know the parks pretty well as see through it.

And let’s be honest, TLC was just an excuse for them to close all those rides during a mega money saving year.

Surely the people who these projects are aimed at (namely enthusiasts and annual pass holders, as I doubt that the public notice or care) will know the parks pretty well as see through it.

Years 1 & 2 were not, year 3 was used as an excuse to close rides.

One thing to consider is that the circumstances in which Towers Loving Care and Project Sparkle were announced are very different.

Towers Loving Care came off the back of one of Alton Towers’ worst summers ever, and occurred within a climate where the park needed to make cost reductions to make ends meet.

Project Sparkle has been announced in preparation for Thorpe Park opening a big new roller coaster and undertaking a substantial rebrand and repositioning of the park. The current period is very much intended to be the start of a new dawn at Thorpe Park.

Besides, it is also possible that the new iteration of Merlin, headed by Scott O’Neil et al, has a different attitude to this sort of thing compared to the former iteration of Merlin.

The announcement is that the new theme for Angry Birds Land is Big Easy Boulevard:

Step Into Big Easy Boulevard and Let the Good Times Roll!
🕺
Set to open in Spring 2024, take a stroll down Big Easy Boulevard and immerse yourself in the carefree atmosphere and exhilarating energy that fills the street. Here, life is a breeze as the locals have mastered the art of not taking things too seriously. It's the perfect place to let loose, seize the moment, and create unforgettable memories with your friends and family
🎊

Experience Epic Thrills and Laughter-Packed Rides!
😄
At the Freedom Firework Co. every day is the Fourth of July, so brace yourself for the ultimate adrenaline rush on Detonator, our drop tower ride that sends you plummeting 100ft to an epic finale!
🎆
Fuel the fun on the Dodgems, our classic bumper car ride that guarantees laughter for the whole family
😝

Don't Miss Out on the Sensory Delights at the Cinema!
📽️
Immerse yourself in our awe-inspiring 4D movie at our Cinema where you'll be treated to a thrilling multi-sensory experience. Prepare to be transported into a captivating world of sights, sounds, and surprises with our new blockbuster
🍿

Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth!
🍭
What's a stroll down Big Easy Boulevard without indulging in the delectable delights of the neighbourhood?! Satisfy your sweet tooth with a visit to 'CandyPips SweetEasy,' stacked from floor to ceiling with all the sweet treats your heart desires
🧁

Join the Fun in 2024!
😃
Embrace the thrilling adventure and vibrant energy of Big Easy Boulevard. Let the good times roll as you explore this lively neighbourhood and create cherished memories that will stay with you long after your visit
🥰
I know it's only a simple retheme, but I think it sounds quite nice; it's certainly nice to see Thorpe doing something more light-hearted, anyway!

I also think it could coexist quite well with Amity in terms of visuals, which is good!

They could just give the cinema a general 1950s American cinema theme (or similar if it’s not to be Amity themed) so it doesn’t matter what film is shown. The film can just be “the film” at the cinema.

Called it! It’s a good compromise for re-integrating it with the 1950s American Amity theme but with a new twist and not slapping “Amity” onto all the ride names. Pretty happy!

Nod to Amity Pier 13 with the Interstate 13 sign on the dodgems.

Really like this as the theme, will compliment amity cove very well, with amity being the town destroyed by the tidal wave and this a transition towards amity speedway.
Thorpe have done well!!!

Wasn’t it said by Merlin/ management a few years ago that Thorpe was going to look very different in 10 years time, this along with the new branding, hyperia and the start of a major freshen up things are looking positive!!

It looks very well suited to the surrounding area and makes more sense visually than the garish IP that was slapped in the middle of it before.

Looks very nice.

Let's hope with Thorpe being a potential flood risk what happened to the theme park in the real New Orleans doesn't happen here.

The announcement is that the new theme for Angry Birds Land is Big Easy Boulevard:

I know it's only a simple retheme, but I think it sounds quite nice; it's certainly nice to see Thorpe doing something more light-hearted, anyway!

I also think it could coexist quite well with Amity in terms of visuals, which is good!

That looks decent. It does seem to be an improvement of what came before.