• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I have to say, I’m really surprised at how much hate the new logo is getting.

Yes, it’s perhaps not the most jazzy or “magical” logo on earth, but I think it’s nice, clean and classy. I appear to be in a vast minority in thinking that, however!

Part of me wonders if new logos are a bit like coaster names, where people hate them initially, but get used to them over time. This logo instead of the infinity logo will definitely take some getting used to, but I wonder if part of the current hate for it is the fact that it’s new and different. I remember Drayton Manor’s new logo getting absolutely slated a year or two back, but people don’t really seem to mention it now.

I've just sat and read 4 pages of this topic since I posted with a positive outlook looking for something good from this rebrand.

I got nothing. Atrocious. Ramming the words Thorpe Park logo through Bing AI image generator produces better results.

The problem with it is, these days logos are supposed to be easily scaleable and recognisable on a round social media profile photo and an app icon, so going for plain text, and that typeface, just seems really odd. Even just doing the reversed O thing as a permant part of the actual logo would probably help. Maybe they should have just used that stencil all the football clubs seem to be using...

Yes, it’s perhaps not the most jazzy or “magical” logo on earth, but I think it’s nice, clean and classy. I appear to be in a vast minority in thinking that, however!

Part of me wonders if new logos are a bit like coaster names, where people hate them initially, but get used to them over time. This logo instead of the infinity logo will definitely take some getting used to, but I wonder if part of the current hate for it is the fact that it’s new and different. I remember Drayton Manor’s new logo getting absolutely slated a year or two back, but people don’t really seem to mention it now.
Come now Matt, surely by now you've realised that your extreme positivity on... well, all things, isn't necessarily a true reflection of the general consensus :p

Part of me wonders if new logos are a bit like coaster names, where people hate them initially, but get used to them over time.

It’s pretty standard. People are adverse to change.

I remember when Google first moved to their current logo. Everyone was up in arms, saying it looked childish and unprofessional. Now nobody thinks of it and looking back it really highlights just how dated the old logo was.

New-Google-logo_Dezeen_468.jpg

The problem with Thorpe and Drayton is it isn’t just a service. It’s something which a lot of people have a strong, emotional connection with.

That doesn’t mean that either one is “good” or “right”. I still stand by that the Drayton logo is naff and the Thorpe one is better and mainly hurt by how it is being presented as just a wordmark. But you will always stir up emotions in a lot of people with any dramatic change like this.

Come now Matt, surely by now you've realised that your extreme positivity on... well, all things, isn't necessarily a true reflection of the general consensus :p
Despite what people say, I’m not necessarily positive about absolutely everything. If you had a read through my post history, I’m sure you’d find plenty of posts where I’m not necessarily overwhelmingly positive about things. I try to be constructive and balanced.

Indeed, on the subject of logos, I have to say that I wasn’t especially a fan of Drayton Manor’s new one a year or two back. But I have to say that from what I’ve seen of this one, I do quite like it!

I do think it looks better in the merchandise renders that Thorpe Park have on their website, where it has patterns framing it. Perhaps seeing this version of it might make it grow on people?

And as I say, I think a change in logo is one of those things that people react very negatively to when it initially happens and then get used to over time.

No, it's not just that we don't like change - it's that it fails to convey the message it is required to.

A logo needs to all at once be attention-grabbing, visually appealing, unique and give you a sense of what it represents. The old logo did that far more successfully than the new one.

It takes a long time to build up a brand identity - think how iconic the Alton Towers logo is with the towers silhouette and the red banner. It has undergone only minimal changes in thirty years. Whether or not you liked the infinity logo, it was something they had had for a long time and had become syonymous with the park. A refresh was needed, certainly - but that was all.

Rebranding isn't cheap either, one can only speculate how much money was wasted on making worse something that wasn't really broken in the first place.

Just my quick 2 pence worth.

Hate it, hate it hate it. Bland, unimaginative and thoroughly corporate. What grates me more is we've had a 3 day build-up to this. Like they were unveiling something amazing.

Also, just had a little look on Twitter and seems their social team are going full 'attack' mode. Rude, sarcastic and very unprofessional.

If this attitude is part of the new 'branding' then they need a serious rethink.

Honestly, I have no connection to Thorpe's logo. I'm not up in arms it is changing. I'm just in awe they made something so awful. I don't think it looks that amazing on the merch.

I’m the same, I have no love of Thorpe, I have no emotional attachment to the place (didn’t visit until my mid-twenties).

It’s just a bad logo.

Sad thing is the amount of hate it’s getting will translate to “engagement” on social media so the marketing people will think it’s been a success.

The only time I think an incredibly simple logo has worked for a Theme Park is epcot. It makes sense since the buildings are very simple but futuristic, look at spaceship earth. I think its works well for the Park. The difference is that Thorpe Park isn't a permanent World's Fair or has incredibly sleek and simple architecture to represent the future. It's about taking you to a different place to a different time. The new logo doesn't really translate that well personally.
Epcot_logo.png

Just my quick 2 pence worth.

Hate it, hate it hate it. Bland, unimaginative and thoroughly corporate. What grates me more is we've had a 3 day build-up to this. Like they were unveiling something amazing.

Also, just had a little look on Twitter and seems their social team are going full 'attack' mode. Rude, sarcastic and very unprofessional.

If this attitude is part of the new 'branding' then they need a serious rethink.
received_1518664488947555.png

Attachments

• received_1518664488947555.png
    received_1518664488947555.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 57