• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

It’s a shame towers couldn’t refurbish their toilets the way Thorpe do. They have literally demolished the whole inside of the ones near Hyperia to start again.
If Towers demolished the inside of theirs the building would fall down around it.

Absolutely brilliant news from Thorpe though, it's great to see a UK park getting the love it needs. I've always like the areas at Thorpe so this can only enhance them more. It's seems as of late they know what they're doing (minus the logo 👀)

Wasn’t one of the effects on Tidal Wave turned off after bats took up nesting inside the set piece? Can’t remember if it was the gas sphere or the chapel tower, but I’m sure one of those was affected by wildlife which ultimately led to the effect’s demise.

The swarm fire effect was then removed a few years back and Thorpe said they were adding a new fire effect to tidal wave, it’s like a weird petrol pump near the side. But covid happened and it never actually got set up/used. They keep saying it will come but of course it hasn’t yet.

I’ll rather they bring back swarm fire effect and the other effects on the ride

It is definitely in need of a repaint, but at least Thorpe Park keeps and maintains their flat rides unlike another Park...

I don’t think Thorpe have been particularly focused on maintenance of the flat rides. It’s just their flats were purchased in the early 2000’s rather than the 80’s and 90’s like the other park.

I think if Merlin had continued on their Varney strategy then we would have seen an exodus of flats from Thorpe in the next 10 years. Hopefully that has now been avoided.

I don’t think Thorpe have been particularly focused on maintenance of the flat rides. It’s just their flats were purchased in the early 2000’s rather than the 80’s and 90’s like the other park.

I think if Merlin had continued on their Varney strategy then we would have seen an exodus of flats from Thorpe in the next 10 years. Hopefully that has now been avoided.
I partially agree with this. The younger age of Thorpe’s flats definitely works to their advantage.

To be fair, though, they did invest a fair amount of energy into keeping Slammer going before it gave up the ghost.

That ride was unreliable for years before it went, and they could easily have given up on it much earlier (indeed, Six Flags New England gave up on theirs a lot earlier than Thorpe gave up on Slammer), but Thorpe did persist with Slammer for a fair amount of time.

The swarm fire effect was then removed a few years back and Thorpe said they were adding a new fire effect to tidal wave, it’s like a weird petrol pump near the side. But covid happened and it never actually got set up/used. They keep saying it will come but of course it hasn’t yet.

I’ll rather they bring back swarm fire effect and the other effects on the ride
Oh, didn't know they turned off the swarm one too. What other effects are turned off?

Are there any pictures of that new tidal wave petrol pump thing?

I partially agree with this. The younger age of Thorpe’s flats definitely works to their advantage.

To be fair, though, they did invest a fair amount of energy into keeping Slammer going before it gave up the ghost.

That ride was unreliable for years before it went, and they could easily have given up on it much earlier (indeed, Six Flags New England gave up on theirs a lot earlier than Thorpe gave up on Slammer), but Thorpe did persist with Slammer for a fair amount of time.

Towers had Ripsaw undergoing maintenance when the call came to get rid of it. The idea that Towers never maintained their flats is just laughable, they did. The issue was they didn’t have a plan to replace at end of life.

Towers too have persisted with maintaining flat rides right up to their dying breath. I disagree that Towers simply did not bother maintaining flats whereas Thorpe did, complete nonsense. Most Thorpe flats have been on life support for a long time.

Hopefully there will be a change in attitude toward flat rides from Merlin in the coming years and we should see flats in a better condition at Thorpe, and new ones at Towers.