• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I think there has definitely been a knock on impact as well after the accident in Dreamworld Australia which resulted in multiple fatalities. The issue is you can’t necessarily belt people in due to the risk of people needing to get out quickly - as displayed in this accident.
(Apologies for the Wikipedia link!)

I don’t think the Rapids are going anywhere, especially as often younger visitors enjoy the wide selection of water rides at Thorpe as well.

All rides are dangerous and have risks. Quite simply if you are sensible and comply with recommended guidelines (ie sit down!) you’ll be perfectly fine.

Always the minority that ruins it for the majority (n.b. I mean those messing about, not the tragic incidents)
In fairness though, on Rapids rides people don’t and that’s the issue.

Without seat belts (and I understand the reason why you can’t put belts in) it’s very easy for people to stand up when water is sloshing into the side of the boat, it’s almost second nature in fact to dodge a wave that’s about to hit you.

We see it on log flumes where, but because the water is coming from overhead, people duck to avoid it even though this doesn’t do any good.

On Rapids rides, because the water is coming from the side, people stand to avoid it. Again, not overly effective but it’s peoples’ knee jerk reaction. Not many people get on to a Rapids thinking “I plan to stand up on this ride”. It just happens sadly. And it’s not at all easy to completely stop it.

…for instance it can take 3-5 mins depending on the length of the rapids for the currents in the ride to settle after a ride stop so if someone ends up in the rapids then the life guards have to wait 3-5 mins before they can help and due to the currents it can be really difficult to swim in the water…
Hosts on Merlin rapids at least now get full rescue training, including jumping into the rapids whilst water is still moving to enact a rescue.

…training which, of course, is quite in-depth, time consuming and expensive. So another mark against the operation of rapids.

Hosts on Merlin rapids at least now get full rescue training, including jumping into the rapids whilst water is still moving to enact a rescue.

…training which, of course, is quite in-depth, time consuming and expensive. So another mark against the operation of rapids.
And rapids rides require a lot of staff as well, the more you have the higher the costs.

I don’t think losing the rapids at Thorpe would be a major problem in terms of the ride line up, I’d argue that it’s less important to the park’s offering than Rumba Rapids and Tiger Rock are to CWOA and AT respectively, and Tidal Wave is Thorpe’s best water ride anyway.

I like the idea of a Mack Powersplash at Thorpe but I wonder though if Merlin might perhaps think that with Stealth (launched ride) and Tidal Wave (big splashy ride) it wouldn’t be unique enough to fit in the park’s lineup.

Disagree with the last couple of posts. Rapids are a must do for many visitors regardless of the parks target audience. They've lost Loggers Leap already and the park would feel even more soulless without a rapids ride.

It breaks up the monotony of constant thrill rids and the only reason it's not as popular anymore is because of how much it's been neutered.

A complete renovation by Intamin for example would pull in the punters.

Disagree with the last couple of posts. Rapids are a must do for many visitors regardless of the parks target audience. They've lost Loggers Leap already and the park would feel even more soulless without a rapids ride.

It breaks up the monotony of constant thrill rids and the only reason it's not as popular anymore is because of how much it's been neutered.

A complete renovation by Intamin for example would pull in the punters.
I'd only support Rumba Rapids or any other water ride being removed if a replacement water ride is opened before like a flume or a more modern rapids. Something like Infinity Falls, Chiapas or a Water Coaster would be perfect 👏

It has been tamed and I believe maybe that Thorpe Park should've kept Loggers Leap going instead of Rumba Rapids in hindsight.

I feel there is a need for a universal water ride that most people can ride and not be too intimidated by.

I would like to see a new log flume or boat style ride similar to either journey to Atlantis (sea work orlando back when it had its effects) or dudley do right at universal, both are amazing dark rides and I think they could play up to the nemesis inferno jungle theme, maybe some past civilisation has built a shrine in a cave in the rocks to their god but you anger it, this would fill 2 good spots for a dark ride and water ride in the parks line up (the park currently doesn't have many dark rides, with only one non coaster dark ride) and I think if oden right it coulds work well and distinct its self from tidal wave (tidal wave is for splashes but this ride is for dark ride)

I've said it countless times and I'll say it once more. Chiapas is the answer.

Unfortunately water rides seem to be on the low end of addition interest. Costs associated and general USP nonsense the more likely factors, but it's daft because log flumes & rapids are not only theme park staples but immensely popular with guests due to their wide appeal.

I've said it countless times and I'll say it once more. Chiapas is the answer.

Unfortunately water rides seem to be on the low end of addition interest. Costs associated and general USP nonsense the more likely factors, but it's daft because log flumes & rapids are not only theme park staples but immensely popular with guests due to their wide appeal.
That is exactly what I've been saying on surveys, whenever the park wants views and when Tidal Wave is closed 😅 Thorpe Park and Alton Towers both need Chiapas!

I'm sure a lot of people are interested in seeing a new water ride added, there may be some that don't desire it as much.

I believe it's Merlin who aren't interested for some reason much like the flat rides 😦

If it's USP that Merlin wants, they should look at Catapult Falls at SeaWorld San Antonio 🤩

I am either planning on visiting This Saturday or next Monday, are school trips still likely for next Monday? I am unsure which day to choose

I am either planning on visiting This Saturday or next Monday, are school trips still likely for next Monday? I am unsure which day to choose
Extremely likely and I'd say it's the worst week next week due to term ending next week.

Weekends are more likely to be quieter in comparison. Sundays appear to be even better than Saturdays usually.