• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Well despite it being peak summer season, I thoroughly enjoyed my day at Thorpe Park!

The park is in an excellent place at the moment and is so much better than when I last visited in 2022!

Hyperia is just perfect for Thorpe Park.
Although what on earth is ghost train!? Not really sure how but they keep making this thing worse?

Operations are absolutely fantastic, especially on Stealth.
The park is clean and tidy, there is great atmosphere around the park and there is genuine care for the place.

I already cannot wait to return next month. Bravo Thorpe Park 👏

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but did anyone see the latest Q&A video from John Burton? (I believe it was originally posted a couple of hours ago on Merlin Entertainments Instagram but I saw it shared on a group). When asked if Thorpe would ever top Hyperia, John said "You never know what's around the corner" whilst stood near the end of Swarm and drinking out of a 'nothing to see here' mug 😂 Confirmation of the empty land being earmarked for development or just another little tease for the fans? 🤔
He also says in the vid that when planning Hyperia they were considering a 500ft tall ride, so i'd say he is almost certainly trolling.
Here's the video for anyone who hasn't seen it

Not sure he knows how useless the Q&As are when half the answers are clearly jokes and then the ones that sound like they could be real are also just jokes
I find a lot of them are teases to be honest and meant to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Things like the 500ft tall coaster and RMC are definitely exaggerations aimed at enthusiasts to spark interest.

Did anyone visit today?

I only ask as I’m going tomorrow and according to that queue time website the park was expected to be at 91% capacity today, and 87% tomorrow.

Although I did check queue times throughout today and they didn’t seem to reflect this figure, as in the queues didn’t seem bad at all.

so was the estimate from that website far off? Hoping the queues are similar tomorrow (or better) fingers crossed

Did anyone visit today?

I only ask as I’m going tomorrow and according to that queue time website the park was expected to be at 91% capacity today, and 87% tomorrow.

Although I did check queue times throughout today and they didn’t seem to reflect this figure, as in the queues didn’t seem bad at all.

so was the estimate from that website far off? Hoping the queues are similar tomorrow (or better) fingers crossed
Visited yesterday (17/8) and the queue times weren't too bad I'd say and only a small number of rides (mainly Hyperia and some of the big coasters) had queues over 60 minutes.
I'd be expecting it to be a lot busier being the summer.

The last hour or so of the day was so much quieter so managed to get a ride on Saw, Swarm, Nemesis and then two consecutive rides on Tidal Wave.

My advice would be to make the most of that last hour.

The last hour or so of the day was so much quieter so managed to get a ride on Saw, Swarm, Nemesis and then two consecutive rides on Tidal Wave.
This has become very common and happens in alton I am curious why people do it, I understand having to leave early to get back before ir becomes too late but it seems like a large amount of people do it, and in my head at least you have paid for 6 hours at a park I will try to use all 6 hours at the park

This has become very common and happens in alton I am curious why people do it, I understand having to leave early to get back before ir becomes too late but it seems like a large amount of people do it, and in my head at least you have paid for 6 hours at a park I will try to use all 6 hours at the park
I've always put it down to a weird quirk of 'morning people'. They're a quirky bunch and seem to get increasingly jittery if they've not safely turned in for the evening well before the sun sets.

I've always put it down to a weird quirk of 'morning people'. They're a quirky bunch and seem to get increasingly jittery if they've not safely turned in for the evening well before the sun sets.
That's me that is.
Have to be home with my tea in my lap for the news on bbc1 at six, or my head actually explodes.
I do occasionally make exception for the Towers, but it remains a challenge.
Hence, like our Matt, I have never done scarefest.

We always leave before park closing and see lots of other parents doing the same.

Tired hungry children and a multi hour drive home are common reasons.

The queues at some car parks can also be horrendous whereas if you leave early you generally roll straight out.

Having a MAP also makes you feel less like you need to wring value out of every minute.

Would you stay in the water park for 8 hours? Maybe some would but I doubt many.

Ultimately if we’ve had a good day and left happy it doesn’t matter what time it is!

First visit of the season today so far, some highlights/thoughts:

1. Started the day on colossus and then proceeded to get stuck on the brake run for half an hour which was a bit of a bore, but got to see the maintenance area after being evacuated which was cool. Also the ride was running pretty smooth and I was pretty much back row which was surprising. Last time I did colossus was 2019(!) as last year I went when the heart line roll was missing

2. I honestly class the swarm as the most ‘intense’ coaster there now, in terms of positive G’s, even more than inferno

3. Interestingly, my boyfriend and his cousin were raving about how great the hyperia area looked which surprised me considering all the hate it’s received on here, I will say it does look better in person than in photos but some improvements could be made.

4. Overall, the atmosphere felt so nice, and the park has really improved in so many ways this season which is great to see - honestly think it’s a far better day out than towers these days

Last edited:
4. Overall, the atmosphere felt so nice, and the park has really improved in so many ways this season which is great to see - honestly think it’s a far better day out than towers these days
Towers is pleasant, but Thorpe has become more of an exciting draw for us this season. The additional flats help pace out the day a little better, but Thorpe could do with better chill out areas and some more gentle / dark / inclusive rides. It's missing a Wicker Man tier ride and something the calibre of Curse.
3. Interestingly, my boyfriend and his cousin were raving about how great the hyperia area looked which surprised me considering all the hate it’s received on here, I will say it does look better in person than in photos but some improvements could be made.
They are wrong and they are monsters for thinking otherwise. It's just about passable, at best.

I'm glad you had a really good day!

Towers is pleasant, but Thorpe has become more of an exciting draw for us this season. The additional flats help pace out the day a little better, but Thorpe could do with better chill out areas and some more gentle / dark / inclusive rides. It's missing a Wicker Man tier ride and something the calibre of Curse.

They are wrong and they are monsters for thinking otherwise. It's just about passable, at best.

I'm glad you had a really good day!

Honestly I think thorpe is fine catering just toward thrills but they need more rides with a 1.2/1.3m height requirement that are still thrilling but can be enjoyed by more guests. The amount of teeny tiny 1.3m children in the hyperia queue today shocked me, but shows there is a demand for high thrills for that height audience. Luckily rush and detonator/quantum allow guests under 1.4M as well

Hahahhaha I’m sure they just have lower standards than us