• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Iā€™ve noticed this forum seems to have a slight obsession with an RMC being built in the UK.

Whatā€™s the appeal?
RMCs are amazing (well, the one RMC Iā€™ve ridden was amazing, anyway), and I think one would be a stellar addition to the UK in terms of raw ride quality! RMC pack their coasters full of airtime and unique inverting elements!

With that being said, I think Hyperia provides a similar sort of experience in some ways, and the throughput of Iron Gwazi left much to be desired, so maybe an RMC might not be the most practical choice in some waysā€¦

Iā€™ve noticed this forum seems to have a slight obsession with an RMC being built in the UK.

Whatā€™s the appeal?
More often than not, they're generally considered to be the best rides at every park they are at, excluding maybe a few. For instance:
- Lightning Rod (Dollywood)
- Steel Vengeance (CP)
- Iron Gwazi (BGT)
- Iron Rattler (SFFT)
- Zadra (Energylandia)
- Outlaw Run (SDC)
- Hakugei (NSL)
- Wildcat's Revenge (Hershey)
the list goes on

As for capacity, SteVe has demonstrated that the inclusion of a midcourse can increase hourly throughput quite a lot - plus if the ride has the separate load and unload platform.

I think it would be the icing on the cake to have one at thorpe, which is the epitome of thrills here in the UK.

Also ArieForce One, which is a ground up RMC, only cost $13m (Ā£9.8m)

Zadra is nuts and different experience from a steel or wooden coaster. Capacity can be resolved, preferably better lap restraints designed but the core elements are there for a great coaster.

The issue with RMCs capacity-wise, by my observation, seems to be the fact that the staff have to pull down your lap bar for you after theyā€™ve checked your seatbelt, which adds faff. I wondered if this was specific to Busch Gardens Tampa, but apparently itā€™s a rule on all RMC coasters.

On my visit there last June, Iron Gwazi was dispatching a train roughly every 3 minutes on average, which would equate to a throughput of around 480pph. At times, some of the dispatches would be as long as 4-5 minutes or so.

I also ascertain that even Cedar Point only manages around 700pph with Steel Vengeance on 3 trains.

The issue with RMCs capacity-wise, by my observation, seems to be the fact that the staff have to pull down your lap bar for you after theyā€™ve checked your seatbelt, which adds faff. I wondered if this was specific to Busch Gardens Tampa, but apparently itā€™s a rule on all RMC coasters.

On my visit there last June, Iron Gwazi was dispatching a train roughly every 3 minutes on average, which would equate to a throughput of around 480pph. At times, some of the dispatches would be as long as 4-5 minutes or so.

I also ascertain that even Cedar Point only manages around 700pph with Steel Vengeance on 3 trains.

Sounds like The Wave at Drayton. Why are manufactures building trains like this?

I wasn't clocking the throughput, but Cedar Point were operating SteVe as well as they possibly could. RMC's are just very faffy and the lap restraints take a fair amount of force to pull down and push up.

I'd love to see Thorpe get an RMC, not least because it's probably the only UK park that is likely to get one. It would be unlike anything else that we do have in the UK!

Is there anything to suggest that it hasn't already reached this stage though
Is there anything to suggest it has? Iā€™m sure they spent a not insignificant amount restoring the wave machine recently. Itā€™s also listed as ā€œWinter Maintenanceā€ which strongly suggests itā€™s going to be back in 2025

IMG_3109.jpeg

As for the comparison to LLW, Vikings was taking up development space, Rumba really isnā€™t

Is there anything to suggest it has? Iā€™m sure they spent a not insignificant amount restoring the wave machine recently. Itā€™s also listed as ā€œWinter Maintenanceā€ which strongly suggests itā€™s going to be back in 2025

IMG_3109.jpeg

As for the comparison to LLW, Vikings was taking up development space, Rumba really isnā€™t
Ah the "winter maintenance" was added a fair bit after it was originally listed (wasn't there before). Maybe they read this topic? šŸ˜›