• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Shockwave The Wave shows coasters can comfortably be built over a Rapids ride. I don’t see Rumba being removed until it is no longer economically viable. Closing it in the colder months is disappointing but it’s not as though it will have high ridership during fright nights anyway
I'm pretty sure the footers for shockwave were placed at the same time as the trough for their rapids, they were planned together.

I like the rapids at thorpe, a nice shabby rest and cool down in a quiet corner.

It's worth remembering that The Flume closed for "the season" in 2015... and was then later announced to never be reopening. They have apparently been having a fair bit of downtime on Rumba Rapids lately. Maybe they are cutting their losses and removing it?

Alternatively, they could just be doing extended maintenance, or saving money and not operating some lower-ridership attractions seeing as Amity Beach is also closing. I feel this is the more likely explanation.

I'm sure Merlin would rather be rid of all their rapids rides given the risks and running costs.

It wouldn't surprise me if Rumba is going for good.
If given the chance, I wouldn't be surprised if Merlin did a Carowinds and get rid of all of their water rides (rapids and flumes alike). 😜

In all seriousness, they wouldn't have added in River Rafts or Barrel Bail Out in recent seasons if they wanted to get rid of them all.

Do water rides that involve wheels and rails have a lower chance of accidents? For instance, the mack supersplash/powersplash rides.

I'd imagine the chance of capsizing would be reduced with these ride models, and they can naturally be more intense due to the possibility of restraints.

I'm no engineer but couldn't manufacturers make a new gen rapids that operates like a spinning coaster, with rails under the water attached to the boats and with lap bars?

The best bet if a company wanted to do such a thing, would be a rapids boat tethered to a vehicle on the tracks below. Can freely behave as a boat, but cannot tip.

The real best bet is to put onus back on people to police themselves and if they end up injured, they are to blame. Can't win against stupid.

Those two rides you cite obviously feature water, but represent a different level of risk to free flowing rapids (notoriously rapid!) or an unrestrained Log Flume ride.
That is true, Rapids rides are unrestrained (even with the boat doors) and there is a risk that someone may fall out at any point during the ride. It'll be very difficult to do restraints for such a ride due to the risk of capsizing.

A Log Flume has less risk in comparison with smaller, shallower channels and the main risk is the splashdown and the parts where they are at the top.

Speaking of restraints, both Chiapas and Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls have lapbars so it can be done if needed.

I'd say that with Flumes declining a few years back, I'd say Rapids will go the same way whilst Flumes may get a renaissance.

Hyperia will be closed for a week from 22nd September for "maintenance".

Source, Thorpe park app ride availability
I think Thorpe Park may have made an error either on Ride Availability or on Hyperia's page. According to Hyperia's page, it's closed from the 23rd September.

I’ve noticed this forum seems to have a slight obsession with an RMC being built in the UK.

I think it would be the icing on the cake to have one at thorpe, which is the epitome of thrills here in the UK.

Also ArieForce One, which is a ground up RMC, only cost $13m (£9.8m)
Also I could see it from a marketing perspective, The only hybrid coaster in the uk. Fusing steel and wood.

Hyperia will be closed for a week from 22nd September for "maintenance".

Source, Thorpe park app ride availability
Based on the current trend, of presuming that rides Thorpe Park closes for maintenance are never going to re-opening ever again, I created this little (entirely fictional) ditty for you all.

Hyperia's Final Days? Thorpe Park to Shut Rollercoaster for 'Maintenance'

Exclusive: Fears Grow as Theme Park Giant Plans Extended Closure

In a shock announcement that has sent thrill-seekers into a frenzy, Thorpe Park has revealed that it will be closing its iconic rollercoaster, Hyperia, for "scheduled maintenance" from September 22nd to 27th. However, many are now questioning whether this is just a cover-up for a more sinister plan: the permanent closure and dismantling of the ride.

Hyperia, known for its heart-pounding inversions and mind-bending loops, has faced a troubled history since its opening. Despite initial excitement, the ride was forced to close shortly after its debut due to technical issues. Since then, it has experienced intermittent downtime, leaving visitors disappointed and frustrated.

As a result of this extended closure, rumours are swirling that Thorpe Park's parent company, Merlin Entertainments, is planning to quietly phase out the rollercoaster. Some speculate that the decision may be influenced by the high costs of maintenance and the potential safety risks associated with such a complex ride.

The fear of Hyperia's demise is heightened by the recent tragic incident at Alton Towers, another Merlin Entertainments park. The Smiler rollercoaster collided with an empty carriage, resulting in serious injuries and amputations. This incident raised serious questions about the company's safety protocols and its commitment to the well-being of its guests.

While Thorpe Park has vehemently denied any plans to close Hyperia permanently, many thrill-seekers are skeptical. As the rollercoaster's future hangs in the balance, only time will tell whether this extended closure marks the beginning of the end for one of the park's most beloved attractions.

--

The above is an entirely fictional article, written in the style of a sensationalist newspaper outlet, provided purely for entertainment purposes. It holds no basis in fact or reality.

Based on the current trend, of presuming that rides Thorpe Park closes for maintenance are never going to re-opening ever again,
From history and track record, it's a justified fear and presumption 😨

Loggers Leap as an example. We were told that this closure was a refurbishment only to find it abandoned and Ghost Train getting potentially unneeded "Rise of the Demon" upgrades instead.

In comparison, Blackpool managed to get Valhalla open eventually which is a good thing Pleasure Beach and Mandy have done in recent years. It could've easily had the same fate as Loggers Leap.

The Flume in 2015 closed under similar pretenses of "winter maintenance" so definitely is a possibility with Rumba's track record this season.

Love the Hyperia sketch though 🤣

I do hope the rapids stay as even though they are not as good as they once were the ride is still popular and gets a queue on a hot day.

The ride is just in need of a refresh, some new theming and a good clean up. There are other places at the park that new rides could go before they remove the rapids. eg slammer, island behind the swarm

Merlin’s rapids at their euro parks seem to run without any problems so it’s a shame that they have at toned down their uk ones :(

That is true, Rapids rides are unrestrained (even with the boat doors) and there is a risk that someone may fall out at any point during the ride. It'll be very difficult to do restraints for such a ride due to the risk of capsizing.

A Log Flume has less risk in comparison with smaller, shallower channels and the main risk is the splashdown and the parts where they are at the top.

Speaking of restraints, both Chiapas and Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls have lapbars so it can be done if needed.

I'd say that with Flumes declining a few years back, I'd say Rapids will go the same way whilst Flumes may get a renaissance.

I think Thorpe Park may have made an error either on Ride Availability or on Hyperia's page. According to Hyperia's page, it's closed from the 23rd September.

The ride availability page has now also been updated to the 23rd.

I was planning on visiting on the 22nd so am glad of this clarification.

Merlin’s rapids at their euro parks seem to run without any problems so it’s a shame that they have at toned down their uk ones
Jungle Rapids at Gardaland is at the top of rapid rides I've experienced. I got absolutely drenched (I could wring out my trousers!) and had lots of bumps/splashes throughout 😂 Really good fun, so well-maintained and the theming is beautiful! I believe this iteration of rapids is from 96/97 (?) & with Merlin having owned Gardaland longer than Thorpe, it shows they are absolutely capable of creating and maintaining something decent.

I've said it plenty of times before but imo RR is just depressing. Either level it up or get rid and put a water coaster/similar in. They've repeatedly claimed there are no current plans to remove it but who knows, Loggers was initially only ever 'down for maintenance' and we all know what happened there 😂 I'd be really surprised if they didn't use the land at the back of Swarm Island before removing RR though!