• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

The paddling pool needs to die. The other week it was about 10 degrees, overcast and windy. I was making a rare visit up Depth Charge when I counted about a half dozen toddlers sat freezing in the water. I felt like the NSPCC should have been on site. No idea why the park had even opened the area that day, it was bloody freezing. :/

I don't like much about this park to be honest.

Poor layout. Semi-poor attractions. The Swarm is amazingly boring, it's one of those 'screaming on the first drop' but soon after thinking what the traffic is going to be like on the way home or what's on the tele tonight or how many miles could my car get out of the fuel it takes to fill a fully laden 747 (you get me).

The place is beyond tired. They really need to look into landscaping (I've said this too many times). It's in a residential area also with lots of people within the vicinity, why not explore the idea of building a CityWalk like area?

Well Samurai was looking far from healthy today... To be precise it was stuck on its side with all the seats facing different directions, and a cherry picker with several worried looking staff under the main arm!

1047969_10200848135918406_648372280_o.jpg

1049254_10200848136118411_1746464058_o.jpg

Why do I get the feeling that they'll try and fix it whilst "retheming" (i.e repaint it, and pretend it's different) it so that they can class it as 'new for 2014', only for it to continue to be problematic and offer a less thrilling experience over other UK Top Scans? To continue the tradition of poor small and medium investment yeard additions, perhaps? :p

See aesthetically it looked great! Very clean and polished. It was just sort of... Broke :p

Flat rides is a serious area Merlin needs to start looking at as a priority at all UK parks I think. Samurai continues to be a headache, Ramesis was looking less than healthy before the events of the other week so lord knows what it'll be like now, Enterprise is giving Towers grief, and Ripsaw appears to be on borrowed time too.

As an insight into Thorpe today the queues were horrendous. We only did Flying Fish, then left. Everything was at least 30 minutes, Colossus was down on arrival, Ninferno looked like it had some down time when we got there, Rush was only operating one swing. Not a great day if I'm honest.

One thing I did find odd though is on the interactive feedback it makes a point of asking on a scale of 1 to 10 what you think of Ninferno. Now it could just be coincidence, but it seems odd. I mean, it's not like it's a new ride, it's been there a fair few years now. Why would they suddenly be so interested in what people think of it? Possible re-theme/added theming, or a new name perhaps? Or maybe they'll just do a Batman and reverse it, that seems to be the in thing at the moment :p

The info points seem to cycle random rides to get feedback on, seen a few different ones on there over the years!

Im sure this is a common position for samurai and is just to allow easy access to the ride without fully taking it down!

Anyway I am off to Thorpe on the 23rd of July, what should I expect haven't been since Last year FN? Or is it still the same? Also I do hope the weather is good so I can ride colossus and also has the roughness gotten any worse?

Thorpe Park have posted a photo of El Toro on their Facebook page with a caption saying: "A rollercoaster made of WOOD?! Would you?"

Obviously it could mean nothing, but there is a chance that it could mean something! It's quite a random thing to post. Maybe they are trying to get more opinions on wooden coasters? I personally hope it mean that they are building an Intamin woodie, I'd say there is about a 1% chance of this Facebook post meaning that! :p

:)

Thorpe Park

Rob said:
Thorpe Park have posted a photo of El Toro on their Facebook page with a caption saying: "A rollercoaster made of WOOD?! Would you?"

Obviously it could mean nothing, but there is a chance that it could mean something! It's quite a random thing to post. Maybe they are trying to get more opinions on wooden coasters? I personally hope it mean that they are building an Intamin woodie, I'd say there is about a 1% chance of this Facebook post meaning that! :p

An external company do all the social networking now, so it probably is just another post to engage the younger audience.

Rob said:

Even if it does end in an Intamin wooden coaster, it still annoys me that they're presenting wooden coasters as unusual and even more that they're in many ways suggesting that you should be worried about riding one.

CGM said:
Rob said:

Even if it does end in an Intamin wooden coaster, it still annoys me that they're presenting wooden coasters as unusual and even more that they're in many ways suggesting that you should be worried about riding one.

Who gives a crap, so long as they build it.

I would whore an Intamin woodie for a whole day.

I really do hope Thorpe get a wooden coaster, but which would towers go for a wooden or a wing rider

Despite it being overcast, I had a great day at Thorpe on Sunday. Got there for 9.30 and had my fill by 2pm. They were advertising 70 min queues for The Swarm and 40-60 mins for everything else but the longest we waited was 20 mins for our lunch at 360.

Good for us but worrying for the park...where is everyone?

Fatheads are still everywhere though :(

Merlin often do market research for a woodie, and it's often negative from the public; thinking they're old fashioned, slow and a bit dull. Probably due to the recent possibilities due to the plug-n-play wooden construction (with steel) maybe they're interested once again.

Wardley told me in my upcoming interview with him that he'd only be interested (come out of retirement) if it was a traditional woodie, as he believes they're a lot more thrilling than the hybrid ones - and that's what he really want to see built in this country on a grand scale.

Laura said:
Despite it being overcast, I had a great day at Thorpe on Sunday. Got there for 9.30 and had my fill by 2pm. They were advertising 70 min queues for The Swarm and 40-60 mins for everything else but the longest we waited was 20 mins for our lunch at 360.

Good for us but worrying for the park...where is everyone?

Fatheads are still everywhere though :(

Thorpe are really struggling at the moment in contrast to Chessie, Lego and Alton, Hence the decision to re-brand the market focus.

Even when they are busy the core visitors (teenagers) get in with discounts and spend very little. The issue with this is (excluding Lego) all of the resort parks are classed as one entity so if Chessie and Alton are doing well but Thorpe shit then budgets get cut at those parks to support the deficit created by Thorpe.

Just hope that doesn't start to happen now but I'm not holding my breath

Can't help but feel a lot of enthusiasts are jumping to conclusions about the idea of Thorpe building a woodie... Especially when the Facebook page is literally swarming with them...

Unfortunately if we were to get one we'd probably be burdened with a soulless Intamin or some hybrid crap thing that's all gimmick and no pyjamas... What's wrong with just building a solid non-gimmick ride these days?