• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

James said:
Has it crossed anyone's minds that a new coaster not coming until 2017 could be to do with the fact Thorpe may be adding family rides/attractions between now and then?
Of course, but it's a five year gap between two major coasters, and considering that's why most people visit Thorpe, unless they do something truly spectacular (which hasn't happened at any of the UK parks for a good few years), Thorpe's going to put off more visitors.

Merlin should start making major coasters every four years for all parks, and for Thorpe, 2016 should bring a family thrill coaster that can attract its current target audience and also be suitable for riders that aren't into intense thrill rides. There's probably never been a better time for them to consider a wooden coaster because the ride they offer would suit both thrill seekers and familes. There's no use constantly saying research doesn't prove them to be a popular idea because look at where their Swarm research got them. Look at where Alton's Sub Terra research lead them as well!

:/

No coaster until 2017 does not necessarily mean no major investments until 2017. If they are indeed planning to add a lot more family rides then they could have some major family additions in the pipeline. Changing the image and appeal of the park will probably be a costly project.

:)

I'd like to think that, but look at Thorpe's track record. Unless it's a coaster, it's not much at all. Trying to reverse the damage they've done is indeed going to be costly if they're to attempt something else. I'd also like to think they'd consider a proper dark ride that can appeal to every one, just like the Haunted House / Duel has been doing for Alton Towers since 1992.

These next few years are going to be quite interesting to say the least. :p

Where on earth would they build a dark ride at Thorpe Park?

We know X isn't going anywhere anytime soon so it does seem unlikely.

The X building would have been ideal but considering they've decided to waste money on it, but there's also the cinema building. Though it's not big enough for something as large as Duel, it's still big enough for something better than just a cinema. They could of course fill in more of the lake, or use the land behind Stealth and The Swarm and build something entirely from scratch.

simps100 said:
Bear said:
Yes, next coaster in 2017... if the park lasts that long! It wouldn't be totally out of the question to speculate the place closing down by then, given how shocking attendance has been this season and last!

Mind you, Lightwater and Flamingoland are still hanging in there, so who knows. (Probably someone)

Hate to disappoint you but the parks had a very strong couple of months almost making up for the slow start ;)

No it hasn't, it continues to struggle. Park attendance is low and when guests numbers are high they are not spending.

Thorpe and Garda are Merlins lowest performing resorts at the current time.

James said:
The Snoozebox could also easily be marketed towards families (although I disagree with the whole Snoozebox thing, it looks vile).

Could it though? Families do want a fair amount of space in their hotels, considering Travelodges are essentially 3 times the size of a Snoozebox, would they go for it?

Snoozeboxes certainly to me are aimed primarily at young adults who don't mind slumming it in close quarters...

Snoozebox offer family rooms (I'm not sure if Thorpe has these types of rooms) so yes, it can be for families. I would imagine it would only work with families that have young children though.

As well as the four 'confirmed' Summer Nights, there are also a further four that will be published and happening, should the interest and ticket sales be there;

Friday 9th & Saturday 10th August
Friday 24th August & Sunday 25th August

Public engagement began last night, and is purely PRE BOOK ONLY! However, at £16 for an A/P holder, a mere £4 saving (so, 20%) off a full price ticket at £20, I'd rather not!

Some news from Thorpe's twitter page:

Thorpe Park Twitter said:
We've taken your comments on board and on Monday will be lowering the price for Summer Nights to £15 Standard & £5 Annual Pass. #HappyFriday

Oh dear.

From TPM:

Thorpe Park Mania said:
Thorpe Park have submitted plans to the local council to extend The Crash Pad's stay.

The original plans stated the park were going to keep The Crash Pad, supplied by the Snoozebox company, until the beginning of the 2016 season, by which time the Thorpe Park Hotel (which recently had its plans re-submitted with modified construction) was planned to be open. However, following troubles with the hotel's planning permission, construction suitability and finances, the new Hotel may not be ready until 2020 at the earliest. So, in response, the park has decided to extend The Crash Pad's stay until 2024, and add 50 new rooms - including some 2 and 3-bed rooms. Also, following independent troubles with Snoozebox themselves, the park will develop their own 'shipping container hotel', cutting all ties with Snoozebox as a company. The new Crash Pad will be built and themed by Thorpe themselves, which will hopefully help with revenue by cutting expenses to external companies.

It is expected that the current Crash Pad, supplied by Snoozebox, will stay for the rest of the season, with 56 new rooms opening soon or for the 2014 season. The new Crash Pad supplied by Thorpe will open in 2014 for a 10 year period, or until the Thorpe Park Hotel planned for the CEMEX site is ready.

The plans also state that the park's next roller coaster, the "2015 coaster" planned to open in either 2015 or 2016, is "unlikely" to be ready by the time the current MTDP ends (I.e. 2016), meaning the park's next roller coaster may not open until 2017.

I'm guessing the crashpad must be selling alright then if they are adding more rooms over the closed season. And if Thorpe do it themselves we could maybe see some better themed rooms and a nicer looking crashpad. As the current ones come from Snoozebox. So might not be all bad news for Thorpe!

In terms of space for new rides and attractions, Thorpe have loads of space to build new rides:
- Saw alive (not used for 90% of the year)
- Time voyages (currently closed)
- Railway (currently closed)
- Arena (Sometimes used in the summer and frightnights but that's it)
- Island next to Swarm
- Area next to Nemesis Inferno (you could even use the asylum building)
And by removing one or two rides they have plenty of other space, eg Slammer, monkey swinger, carasel, etc.

Finally from my visit yesterday, the park was very busy with school groups but it got quieter around 4pm. Everything was open except for Slammer, which has a temp fence at the entrance/exit and a sign saying its closed. So what ever is wrong with it, its probably something major again.

One thing I don't understand at Thorpe, which doesn't seem to apply at Legoland, Chessie or Alton Towers, is their policy to fill quenchers up. I tried at various outlets during the day, and was often told they couldn't fill it and I had to go elsewhere for it. One example was the fish and chip place, which had no queue or anything, but because it wasn't a refill place I had to go elsewhere. The same at the end of the day with Bar 360, who said they couldn't fill it, but by that time all other outlets would have closed. I just don't see the reasoning behind it what so ever! Other than that we had a good chilled out day wondering around Thorpe.

Dave said:
No it hasn't, it continues to struggle. Park attendance is low and when guests numbers are high they are not spending.

The parks been pretty rammed for the past month or 2, from what i hear pretty much making up for the slow start. Obviously the schools / weather helps but can only be good.

With the park frequently extending ride opening times, I doubt they are struggling that much...

As for The Crash Pad V2, im not too sure what to make of it, the Crash Pad rooms are pretty nice inside but obviously i think everyone would favour a proper hotel, with them investing what's rumoured to be something like 8 million in this im surprised they haven't just gone for a full hotel.

One good thing though will be as has already been said Thorpe will be doing this alone meaning we could see rooms more themed towards the park / better deals for AP holders etc?

simps100 said:
Dave said:

The parks been pretty rammed for the past month or 2, from what i hear pretty much making up for the slow start. Obviously the schools / weather helps but can only be good.

With the park frequently extending ride opening times, I doubt they are struggling that much...

Trouble they have is they are having to sell tickets dirt cheap at the moment to get the numbers in, as well as do deals such as the annual pass ticket offer. On top of that the clientele they focused on don't spend money once on park hence why they are now going back to targeting families.

Guest numbers are not the only factor, Towers always has the best gate numbers in the UK parks but it isn't always the most profitable, though the last few years its held its own as one of the better parks. Thorpe however has struggled for a few seasons.

Dave said:
Trouble they have is they are having to sell tickets dirt cheap at the moment to get the numbers in, as well as do deals such as the annual pass ticket offer. On top of that the clientele they focused on don't spend money once on park hence why they are now going back to targeting families.

Guest numbers are not the only factor, Towers always has the best gate numbers in the UK parks but it isn't always the most profitable, though the last few years its held its own as one of the better parks. Thorpe however has struggled for a few seasons.

I guess we all hear different things :p

To be fair though all the parks do deals throughout the year, for example some of the parks have done the Sun free tickets which thorpe are yet to do this year.

I guess ultimately where one fails the other makes up and Merlin still make the same amount of money!

Thorpe don't? Didn't know that. If that's true, at least they don't pretend to offer ERT like Alton Towers do. Lately Alton Towers have just been letting all guests pour into the park before 10am which means there's a queue for everything already.

So much for ERT being exclusive. It's okay, we only paid a small fortune for the "privilege" of getting in to ride a few rides (a number of which have been removed from the line-up as the years have gone by) with annual passes, or through staying in one of the overpriced hotels.

:S