• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Surly that's why there are now rumours of no big rollercoasters for several more years than originally intended. They no doubt will intend on building some family rides and attractions over the next few years, while still retaining the thrill market through advertising (and by a small chance, introducing mid-way thrill rides).

For 2013 I agree that it's not great, however there are no young children shown in that advert and it clearly shows thrill rides at the end to imply that it is just for those older families that are after something a bit more.

It's a start at least, and I feel that advert gives Thorpe its own character - something that it has been lacking for many years in its marketing.

I think it will be very interesting to see what Thorpe do next year in terms of new ride(s) and in terms of a whole brand relaunch. I think we will see major changes around the park such as new signage, new map design, new website, etc.

Even looking at what they post on Facebook and Twitter over the past few months has changed completely to what they would post a year ago, its a lot more Alton Towers style, with images of rides, questions, etc. Compared to a year ago when they would post silly youtube cat videos, or the ride staff doing a dance.

Sorry to double post, but this is on a completely different subject.

After my recent visit to Thorpe I emailed guest services to find out why you can only fill your day/annual pass quenchers up in certain outlets, unlike Alton Towers, Chessington or Legoland. Of course they didn't tell me why, but they have given me a list of all outlets you can fill them up.

Refill points for our Quenchers are as follows:
  • Sweets and Souvenirs
  • Thorpe Mega Store
  • Nemesis Shop
  • Amity Drop and Shop and Coke Refill Station
  • Roast & Relish
  • Amity Kebab
  • Storm Surge Donuts
  • Amity Bites
  • Amity Coffee
  • Stealth Diner
  • Calypso Pancakes
  • Creek Hotdogs
  • Naughty but Nice
  • Colossus Hot Dogs
  • Ben & Jerry scoop shack

djtruefitt said:
I think it will be very interesting to see what Thorpe do next year in terms of new ride(s) and in terms of a whole brand relaunch. I think we will see major changes around the park such as new signage, new map design, new website, etc.

Thorpe Park confirmed on TPM in the questions to the park section that a new map is being made and hopefully ready for a Fright Nights version, then the normal one next season.

Excellent

Looking forward to the new Thorpe branding, hope they bring back the entrance music. Hate the pop that is blasted around the place.

So today Thorpe posted a picture of the Banana boat ride, to which someone commented that there is nothing for 1.1m kids to do there.. see this reply:

THORPE PARK Official
Thanks for the heads-up --name-- - we're always trying to improve the park and help cater for little ones :)

Now.. what's being planned?! At the moment there's no way they can improve it for the little ones without new rides!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

It's very clear with the current style and focus of posts, along with the discussion they are creating on Facebook, that they are desperately trying to include families and make Thorpe seem like a friendlier location.

I have to say that although it is weird to see, the marketing trend currently is spot on and seems to be just the right tone. I'm very excited to see what Thorpe come up with anyway!

It's great to see Thorpe are trying to revamp their Marketing style. Will be interesting to see how they'll implement this as there's only a tiny amount of rides that are great for families I.e Flying Fish and Mr Monkeys Banana Boat, Depth Charge etc.

I can see next year being 4 new kiddy flats, maybe try and resurrect the jungle safari.

Will be great for the park if they do.

Nice to see a change in marketing. I always found the teen aspect a bit naff with the bobbleheads and that. Good to see a great new advert too. Can't wait to see how this branding carries out :)

I'm thinking their "family" image might focus on those with slightly older children... Perhaps 1.1m/1.2m and above?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I can't see them going for very young families. I don't think the park is big enough for a start to be a top class total family theme park. I can see them targeting mainly older families, roughly ages 12ish+. I think that would suit the park best and they would be able to make the most of what they already have in their marketing. The new advert seems to suggest that as well.

Too many other parks in the country cater really well for young families, I don't think it's worth Thorpe trying to do quite the same.

:)

I think in terms of new investments for familes, Thorpe would go for rides that have a minimum height restriction of somewhere between 0.9M to 1.2M. They're low enough for young ones arounf 6 to 8 years old to enjoy (Personally I can't see Thorpe goin any lower than that age)

Hmmm... if Thorpe are going back to the family market... maybe Chessie's days really are numbered?

DiogoJ42 said:
Hmmm... if Thorpe are going back to the family market... maybe Chessie's days really are numbered?

I was thinking about this earlier, but as others have said Thorpe will no doubt focus on families with older children. They really would struggle to get any amount of new family rides in to give them a decent chance of surviving in what is really a very busy market in the UK.

Chessie has always been the park which is better suited to younger families, so I dare say this is the direction they will continue in, with Thorpe catering for a slightly different market. That way both can happily co-exist :)

Ian said:
Chessie has always been the park which is better suited to younger families

Not always (though admittedly since Tussauds got their hands on Thorpe). Back in the 80's and 90's it was the other way round.

But with the current sorry state Chessie is in, It wouldn't surprise me if Merlin wanted to get rid of it.

DiogoJ42 said:
Ian said:
Chessie has always been the park which is better suited to younger families

Not always (though admittedly since Tussauds got their hands on Thorpe). Back in the 80's and 90's it was the other way round.

But with the current sorry state Chessie is in, It wouldn't surprise me if Merlin wanted to get rid of it.

Well yeah, I meant since the two have been jointly owned by the same group (Tussauds/Merlin). I doubt Merlin will want shot of Chessington just yet though. Considering how much they seem to be investing in the park at the moment to try and save several of its rides they will no doubt want to see some return on this before they consider ditching it. Remember as well though that Merlin as a company has few of its resources located at Chessie. If anything I'd of thought that Thorpe would be the easier of the two to pull out of!

I can't see them leaving either park at the moment, they have spent a lot of money on Thorpe over the years (think how much Swarm cost!), so they will want to get something back, even if a costy rebrand is needed. And if Chessie remains popular and makes money with very little investment then they wont get rid of that either!

Of course they're not getting rid of either park - they're just trying to open up Thorpe to a larger age range by changing the branding. Once they're in the park, they've got the money and that's all that matters. They need to market the fact both parks are only a 30 minute drive from one another, though.

Other than Universal or Disney - who else would run them? SeaWorld parka are cutting back too (and Merlin want to buy them anyway...). Plus - they wouldn't spend £5M on Chessington and then run away.