• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Whoevers in charge of fastrack at that park needs firing. Sort out that system like towers has done, get someone new in if necessary who's actually in touch with the park and guests.

I honestly can't think of many places worse than Thorpe Park on a horrendously busy day. The fastrack system is terrible. In my experience, Thorpe's answer to everything is fastrack making the problem even worse.

They've taken a step in the right direction with regards to marketing, but fastrack does need sorting out.

Anyone wanting to go either Friday/Sat/Sunday? and maybe buying the Summer Night Tickets for extra riding time :) ? (Only available for Fri/Sat)

Benzin said:
T said:
Benzin said:
All revenue streams go up on the busiest day of the season...

Well I'M surprised...
It's also up year on year, for most days...

So are most of the costs associated with visiting the park...
Regardless of what you may think and say, you can't say TP is not having a strong year!

T said:
Benzin said:
T said:
Benzin said:

Well I'M surprised...

Regardless of what you may think and say, you can't say TP is not having a strong year!

What are we basing it on though? Has Thorpe been packed out beyond any reasonable terms before the schools were let out and the weather turn into the hottest days in years?

As with the other two, the start of the year was slow due to various reasons... To judge a year going well based off the month of school trips and the current weather is jumping the gun somewhat... If Thorpe actually manages to beat Chessie this year for summer crowds (something is hasn't been able to do in the last few years, hence the sudden change in marketing) then maybe we can say it's having a 'strong' year...

Currently, I would say no park in the UK is really having a strong year...

Benzin said:
T said:
Benzin said:
T said:
Benzin said:

Well I'M surprised...

What are we basing it on though? Has Thorpe been packed out beyond any reasonable terms before the schools were let out and the weather turn into the hottest days in years?

As with the other two, the start of the year was slow due to various reasons... To judge a year going well based off the month of school trips and the current weather is jumping the gun somewhat... If Thorpe actually manages to beat Chessie this year for summer crowds (something is hasn't been able to do in the last few years, hence the sudden change in marketing) then maybe we can say it's having a 'strong' year...

I am basing it on much more! Much much more!

T said:
Benzin said:
T said:
Benzin said:
T said:
Benzin said:

Well I'M surprised...

I am basing it on much more! Much much more!

Such as? Or are we not at liberty to divulge whatever tasty tidbits of information regarding how Thorpe are apparently packed to the rafters every day raking in millions you possess?

Lets be honest Benzin, you'd argue back anyway no matter what T says. Just be happy that the parks are doing well at the moment. Going well may get us nice shiny things.. :/

I think it'd be better to wait until next year when attendance figures for 2013 are released before celebrating just yet. And unfortunately a more successful year won't get our parks brilliant new attractions, as has been demonstrated every year since 07/08 (sure, there has been one or two good additions but never anything more than that). The amount spent will stay the same, no matter how much more they make (assuming they can turn around the damage 2012 did).

Bob said:
Lets be honest Benzin, you'd argue back anyway no matter what T says. Just be happy that the parks are doing well at the moment. Going well may get us nice shiny things.. :/

IF things can be proven beyond reasonable doubt that the park is doing better than it appears from the outset then there's no need to argue...

But you cannot judge a season by one day/week/month, just look at the difference at the attendance at Towers before and after Smiler actually opened... The overall performance of a park (especially Thorpe atm, which is sorely lagging behind the others under the Merlin umbrella) can only truly be judged come November...

And even then, with the change of focus, that won't make much difference until the park can shake off the preconceptions people have of it as a result of the reputation... The family market won't make an instant impact, and we are certainly going to have to wait long term to see if it becomes a success... However, this may not sit too well with shareholders who don't like to be kept waiting for a return on investment...

New events, planned investments next year and the park often extending opening hours.

All signs of a park "which is sorely lagging behind the others under the Merlin umbrella".. :p

^ Don't forget the fact that they're almost giving away annual passes! ;)

simps100 said:
Thats true, but then then they are yet to give away 1000's of free Sun Tickets :p

Last year the two free tickets in the Sun started on the 4th of August. We're just under two weeks away from a year since that offer started. There's still time. :p

simps100 said:
New events, planned investments next year and the park often extending opening hours.

All signs of a park "which is sorely lagging behind the others under the Merlin umbrella".. :p

Ah yes, because no other park has planned investment for next year...

It's well known Thorpe are low down on the bringing money into Merlin's central pot, but as I said, we can judge this season when it's finished, not half-way through...

Benzin said:
simps100 said:

Ah yes, because no other park has planned investment for next year...

It's well known Thorpe are low down on the bringing money into Merlin's central pot, but as I said, we can judge this season when it's finished, not half-way through...
I find your posts rather sarcastic, which isn't really the way to discuss this topic.

I feel as though any information or such that were to be shown to you would still not be enough to satisfy you, so there isn't much point in furnishing you with data, and the likes. It appears you want to dig at Merlin, and more specifically Thorpe, in any way you can.

Before this turns into anything personal, can we stop? :)

Thorpe have had a bad season up to the beginning of July, so far as the rumours suggest. There is always chance for them to pull it back - as shown by the amazing 18k+ day!

Personally I don't care what the number-crunchers say.. the park themselves just need to make it work.