• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

RoyalFool said:
The ticket receipt says "Saw the Ride: 3:30 - 4:00" but then underneath it it says ignore the times, as the fast-track begins at 1pm.

So does that mean I have to ride them in a certain order, starting at 1pm? and that I won't even know the order until I pick up the ticket?

I doubt it has changed since I worked at the park earlier this season, so it's a case of riding the rides whenever you want in any order, from 1pm onwards.

Well Summer Nights certainly fulfilled the usual fare when it comes to Merlin (and Thorpe to some degree), a very good idea, but unfortunately, poorly executed... It did indeed decide to rain throughout the ERT, but that does not excuse poor planning and organisation...

For example, the park closed at 6, and the event billed to start at 7... At this point, shops and restaurants are closing, the question is, why? You know you will have people coming later and some might be on park already, so why close the Glass House kitchen? Keep it open for Summer Nights and CrashPad people and you get more income...

As we exited (to get back in) there was a staff member yelling down a megaphone about the event for £5... Clearly the event isn't attracting the numbers externally (as evidenced by the empty car park) so they've resorted to the most desperate style of marketing...

Upon being let in at 7, there was no indicator of what you had to do or what rides were open... We ventured to Swarm and it was (with possibly everything else in the park) closed... No music, no effects, nothing... For all intents and purposes, it was closed for the night... It was eerie, but also, silly... We also didn't see a wristband person on our way in, which is silly if they're forcing people to wear them (not that many rides were checking, only Inferno did)...

Can't blame them for the weather, aside from the lack of ice cream snow/rain thing... A lonely snowman standing by Stealth the only hint to this idea and the recent photoshoot... Always getting your hopes up is Thorpe... Although I can express despair at Storm Surge closing in the rain (Note - RAIN, not lightning storm) even though the rest of the coasters and Tidal Wave were open at the time...

I still had a good night mind, rain aside, you can't complain for walk-on coasters for £5... But the event needs a LOT of work to become sustainable from Thorpe's end... More shops, more restaurants (even if it is just the Dome ones) and more clarity as to what's going on during the event, and it'll be an improved experience...

Funny how this goes along with what's being discussed in the Alton 2013 thread about late openings...

At least Thorpe have had the desire to try it in some form but now appear to have ballsed up the organisation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Both nights so far have also been dead and involved walk-ons on EVERYTHING (though yesterday can be attributed to the cack weather)...

Even so, if next week is as quiet, maybe the UK just isn't into late night summers...

I remember back in 2006 when thorpe was open 10:00 till 22:00 throughout of all of August and after around 7pm the park was just totally dead and i think this is the first time they've opened later than 8pm in the summer since.

What i'd personally like to see is the whole park open till 22:00 like back in 2006 and then maybe lower the ticket prices after 5/6 to encourage people to come on park for the evening.

One thing about this event specifically Benzin was that it was advertised as a limited event so that there would be next to no queuing - so at least it was a success on that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Yes, yes there was no queuing...

But as we are in a situation where these events are rated on their popularity overall, ending up with barely a full train on Swarm doesn't really constitute much... You would expect a 5/10 minute queue even on 1 train op...

I just feel that it will be too empty and due to the whole instant returns that comes with the modern day business strategies, it might not be deemed viable...

Are the Fright Nights at Thorpe park the same as Scarefest ? E.G, pricing and time you go in the mazes, also can you enjoy the rides in the dark and in your opinion which is the better experience, Scarefest or fright nights ?

Oatcakedodger said:
Are the Fright Nights at Thorpe park the same as Scarefest ? E.G, pricing and time you go in the mazes, also can you enjoy the rides in the dark and in your opinion which is the better experience, Scarefest or fright nights ?

FN used to always have free mazes (but they increase entry price to the park). Last year they charged for one of their mazes but the other 4 where free.

As for best experience it varies year on year, last year for me at least Scarefest was better than Frightnights, but in 2011 Frightnights was better than Scarefest.

Generally Towers mazes are better than Thorpes (though 2011 Experiment 10 was amazing) but Thorpe has more mazes. Queues can be massive for Thorpe mazes too and they don't change much year on year.

As for park atmosphere 2011 FN knocked the socks off Towers but 2010 Scarefest atmosphere was amazing. Last year both parks failed a bit on atmosphere.

Basically if you don't need to make a choice until last-minute wait for the reviews at the beginning of the events, one of the great things about the scare events is there is a large body of fright-attractions geeks so you don't get the park based bias that you can get from individual attractions enthusiasts.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Dave said:
Oatcakedodger said:

That's my thoughts anyway.

Couldn't agree with Dave more.

X10 was brilliant! I didn't make FN last year. To be honest, my advice, do both if you can!

Stealth in the dark is freaking awesome! Thorpe in general I think at night is awesome, but it has more of a fairground feel almost, which I like very much - where as Alton has a very different kind of atmosphere. Incomparable experiences when both at their game I feel.

I would say Thorpe for atmosphere. Its more "frightening" and more feels like people are out to get you and its more fun. But towers feels like a gothic horror because of the towers . Thorpe park more a modern horror. Also at nigh skyride closes so you will drop dead at alton. :p

I've been the last 2 years for FN as my better half loves it. We both love the lighthearted scariness of AT, but absolutely love the frightening atmosphere at FN. The lighting and the sound effects are brilliant and having some actors on park too! Far enough the park is small, but it is realy errie!

Waiting outside The passing last year for example (yes I chickened out!) The actors were fabulous walking up and down the queueline and by the lockers and toilets by colossus!
The actors by Experiment 10 were a little bland for my liking, but they may have been new. The 'crazy' doctor in the first area was fantastic though! !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The only maze you pay for at Thorpe is The Passing (£2/3? i think), Annual pass holders need to pay £5 for entry also.

Thorpe are teasing we should forget everything we know about Fright Nights, i suspect some pretty big changes for this year!

simps100 said:
The only maze you pay for at Thorpe is The Passing (£2/3? i think), Annual pass holders need to pay £5 for entry also.

Thorpe are teasing we should forget everything we know about Fright Nights, i suspect some pretty big changes for this year!

They want you to forget because they are going to change the name of the mazes but keep the same theme and events while marketing them as new mazes.

I reckon Thorpe can pull something big out of Frightnights, they proved with Ex10 that they can do good mazes, sure the passing was a bit naff but you never know.

Could it be the IP

I still find the intensity of The Asylum to be fantastic. Bettered only by The Sanctuary this year.

My two favourite mazes!

The Asylum was the only maze I did at Fright Nights last year, and although I can only base my opinion on one run, I thought it was complete and utter balls. The vast majority of the actors were just relying on the fact that they can touch you, and I'm sure it works wonders on a fair amount of guests (such as the group of terrified ladies we dragged through behind us). However, as somebody who's fairly used to mazes and doesn't particularly have personal space issues when in one, I spent the whole maze fighting the urge to shout "stop touching me and start scaring me!" at them.

I wish I'd spent the queue time waiting for The Curse instead; I know it's poorly regarded by a lot of people, but I had a really entertaining run through it in 2011 and I seem to recall that it was getting some good reviews last year.

I've only been to the event once, last year, and I thought it was dire. I'd rank the mazes as follows:

The Asylum - Loud and intense, although a bit generic.
Experiment 10 - Interesting concept, but my run-through lacked scares.
The Passing - Only slightly better than The Curse due to a few interesting things they did. However the awful stickers on the walls in the morgue and rooms which mostly consisted of black walls left me unimpressed.
The Curse - Dull, awful theming and was obvious that you were just walking backwards and forwards in a marquee.

Won't be visiting again anytime soon.