• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Is Thorpe Park doing badly?

I am aware 2012 was poor given they had The Swarm, was 2013 any better?

pluk said:
Dave said:
Merlin... they are lay-by greasy spoon of the theme park world!

Genuinely lol'd at that one!

Hahaha me too ;D

AstroDan said:
So. Are Thorpe actually doing ANYTHING for 2014 worth discussing? Or is it going to be yet another year of not very much.

It is strange that the season seemed to start so promising, some great ideas like Summer Nights and a couple of improvements maze wise, but after that they seemed to find reverse gear quick.

How can you have an attraction like that in London and NOT be a success, surely it has to be harder to mess up?

Thorpe isn't in London, it's outside the Travelcard zones, besides, Chessie's in London and that's an abject failure of a park...

Thorpe aren't getting anything new but a CrashPad extension...

I think its a bit to early to be saying the park wont be getting anything new.The park do seem to be teasing alot of people on social networks (which i know can be taken with a pinch of salt!) but it wouldn't surprise me if there is somthing new.

I'm not really up on Thorpes planning rules (does it have and general development orders?) but if anything substantial was coming would planning applications have been submitted?

My guess is a few small family flats if anything, would help them with rebalancing their brand. Maybe an Octopus Garden retheme

Dave said:
I'm not really up on Thorpes planning rules (does it have and general development orders?) but if anything substantial was coming would planning applications have been submitted?

My guess is a few small family flats if anything, would help them with rebalancing their brand. Maybe an Octopus Garden retheme

I don't believe that Thorpe are covered by any GDO's, most changes require planning permission.

On the note of Octopus Gardens, aren't the rides now at a SeaLife somewhere?

Quetzal said:
Dave said:

I don't believe that Thorpe are covered by any GDO's, most changes require planning permission.

On the note of Octopus Gardens, aren't the rides now at a SeaLife somewhere?

Were they not shipped off to Sealife in Weymouth?

1456536_10152033655045867_1255620263_n.jpg

Everyone go and 'like' this and comment on it with positive things so Merlin get some good guest feedback about woodies. :)

They've done this before, and all of the comments are always overwhelmingly positive. I don't know who they've "surveyed" about wooden coasters in the past but I never seem to see bad comments about them from anyone.

Sam said:
Everyone go and 'like' this and comment on it with positive things so Merlin get some good guest feedback about woodies. :)

Done!

That cannot be a coincidence.

;D

I'm hoping Thorpe go for a woodie as their next big thing then it can prove to Merlin that woodies do work in the UK. Then hopefully Alton Towers will get one following Thorpe!

I can see Thorpe getting a woodie at some point, certainly before Towers. However whether this would be a traditional woodie or an RMC hybrid is debatable. I personally think that a woodie at either Towers or Thorpe would be successful, as long as it is marketed correctly.

:)

Alastair said:
They've done this before, and all of the comments are always overwhelmingly positive. I don't know who they've "surveyed" about wooden coasters in the past but I never seem to see bad comments about them from anyone.

That's because over half the comments on that post are from drooling enthusiasts.

While this may be a bit of informal market research, I believe all of Thorpe's social media output is now outsourced (and is a lot better for it) so this could just be something random, that the park have no idea about.

It could be random.

Although I do believe that if any park in the UK had the balls to build a woodie, it would be Thorpe.

James said:
It could be random.

Although I do believe that if any park in the UK had the balls to build a woodie, it would be Thorpe.
The day thorpe gets a woodie is the day my life begins ...

Here's the problem: thorpe don't have much room. They have a couple of islands, but once these are filled, they have to start bulldozing or selling coasters they have. So, if they don't think a woodie would work, then, if proved right (which wouldn't t happen, but I talking about thorpe looking ahead), the woodie would have to go within a decade. So, if thorpe looked ahead, with their views I find it unlikely that the woodie will be built.

Don't think ahead, thorpe!

I'm going be a bit pessimistic and say they won't build a woodie because a few people say that they want one.

I really hope the issues it's had have been sorted whilst it's been closed. It barely operated during the season just gone! :)