• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

So chuffed about Slammer ;D

One of only 2 'thrill' flats left in a UK park, along with Rush. (IMHO anyway.)

That is great that Slammer is back as early last year when I went, it was riding a lot better than previous years. Here's hoping the issues have been sorted. :)

smudge said:

Why, what happened to samurai?

I recon if slammer has any problems over the 2014 season, it should be in the skip. It holds a large(ish) area, which can hold another, more reliable thrilling flat.

smudge said:

...and Vortex, Eagle's Claw, Whirlwind, Maelstrom, Ripsaw (on a good setting), Wipe Out and Xtreme at Brean, The Beast and Flip Flop. But apart from all them, yeah I agree. :p

Don't really feel one way or the other about this. Slammer is a bit rubbish, though the forward 'swatting the sky' motion is quite interesting. I wouldn't be particularly devastated if it left for something new though.

Thorpe Park

ILC said:
smudge said:

Why, what happened to samurai?

I recon if slammer has any problems over the 2014 season, it should be in the skip. It holds a large(ish) area, which can hold another, more reliable thrilling flat.

It never arrived ;) Top Scans are boring I think. Common junk.

Slammer is unique (and almost exclusive,) intimidating, and surprisingly comfortable. The amount of time (and no doubt, money) spent on slammer I can't see thorpe scrapping it anytime soon. (Unless they have to.) Surely s&s must want it to survive too, not that they even sell them anymore.

Quite a few enthusiasts have a soft spot for slammer from what I have read. Maybe just it's rarity though.

I hope the uk parks do install some new flats soon. Alton's last one was subs, I think. Ripsaw used to be great, before they removed theming, and it got so old they only run it on a crap sequence. Ents is ok, but again, too old (and it shows.) For the uk's 'premier' park, they should be showcasing the finest and newest hardware, like they do with the coasters.

Thorpe's last flat was 2010 (if saw alive counts) or 2008 (if time voyagers counts) or 2005

ILC said:
Thorpe's last flat was 2010 (if saw alive counts) or 2008 (if time voyagers counts) or 2005
Neither of those are flat rides.

Thorpe's last flats were Rush & Slammer in 2005.

I love Slammer so much. So pleased that they are getting it working.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It will reach a point though where the money invested into keeping the ride running will not be worthwhile, especially considering it's an amazing set of bodge jobs keeping it running (when it does)...

If it keeps acting up like it is, I wouldn't be surprised if Thorpe scrapped it... It won't be viable to keep at the rate it's going...

This is a turnaround.

I'd heard they'd been forced to give up, basically.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

God I hate the sound of flushing money down the toilet.

I despise Slammer!! Hope they get rid.

Why waste money on something that quite clearly doesn't return on the investment? They'd be better off spending the money on a new thrill flat... like a Huss Jump 2 ;)

Sent using Tapatalk

I wanted a Huss Jump 2 over here as well, until I found out that the only one in existence at Canada's Wonderland is hardly ever open. No point in replacing one problem-plagued flat ride with another one! :p

I'm in the "I love Slammer" category. Glad it's reopening next year.

Seriously, I am perplexed about Slammer.

I spoke to staff from Thorpe Park who said that the ride had been condemned to the scrap heap permanently in the middle of last season after the breakdown left some riders stuck on the ride for ages. After so many problems in recent years, I was told that they had no choice.

Weird.

Unless its Thorpes social media team getting confused, but surely they must have got their information from someone at Thorpe, even if the social media is outsourced.

AstroDan said:

I spoke to staff from Thorpe Park who said that the ride had been condemned to the scrap heap permanently in the middle of last season after the breakdown left some riders stuck on the ride for ages. After so many problems in recent years, I was told that they had no choice.

Weird.
What you heard was probably the staff member's opinion. Your standard Thorpe Park worker doesn't know a great deal about the future, less so or equal to our knowledge of it. They get tired of saying "I don't know" to enthusiasts, and so they just give a guess or their opinion.

I would definitely trust the Facebook page more than the staff member.

The same thing has been said for the past few seasons. A Park Engineer said it was being removed at the end of the 2011 season once.

ILC said:
AstroDan said:

Weird.
What you heard was probably the staff member's opinion. Your standard Thorpe Park worker doesn't know a great deal about the future, less so or equal to our knowledge of it. They get tired of saying "I don't know" to enthusiasts, and so they just give a guess or their opinion.

I would definitely trust the Facebook page more than the staff member.

I doubt Dan's source was just a 'normal' member of staff though ;)

Which has got me worried...

The faffbook staff may have either misunderstood or been misinformed although I hope to god they are right on this occasion.