• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Thomas said:
What strikes me is how small the dodgems seem for a large Theme Park? Surely the queues for them will be ridiculous?

There are 30 cars, which can hold up to 60 people, which is okay for this type of ride. Can't say if its quicker then Chessington.

HaydenCR said:
Tom.B said:
HaydenCR said:
thefatone said:
HaydenCR said:
You dun know how comfortable those seats are. The rides aren't special but they are enjoyable and of good quality. Unlike Storm Surge which is just a complete mess, ride and theming wise.....
10417829_10154236197760624_4577663726563562066_n.jpg

Ah yes. Much better than Storm Surge. (Thanks TPM).

Yes the presentation is crap. That's not my point. The ride is enjoyable. Storm Surge isn't. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The ride was enjoyable BEFORE it was re-themed to ABL.

No it wasn't! It wasn't there!

Right, I'm extremely confused as to which ride in ABL you're talking about.

Tom.B said:
HaydenCR said:
Tom.B said:
HaydenCR said:
thefatone said:
HaydenCR said:
You dun know how comfortable those seats are. The rides aren't special but they are enjoyable and of good quality. Unlike Storm Surge which is just a complete mess, ride and theming wise.....
10417829_10154236197760624_4577663726563562066_n.jpg

Ah yes. Much better than Storm Surge. (Thanks TPM).

Yes the presentation is crap. That's not my point. The ride is enjoyable. Storm Surge isn't. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The ride was enjoyable BEFORE it was re-themed to ABL.

No it wasn't! It wasn't there!

Right, I'm extremely confused as to which ride in ABL you're talking about.

One in the picture ;)

It's a pitiful investment, but at the end of the day it's good to see that the theatre is actually being used for something again which for once is actually half decent. Also no-one can deny that even a cheap dodgems is better than some crappy pay-to-play trampolines. It's a plus for the park's lineup, but only just.

My main problem with it though is how it makes the park even more incoherent theming wise and how damn cheap the whole thing looks. The management claim they have no need for themed areas anymore and build stand alone rides like SAW and The Swarm yet they create 'Angry Birds Land'. There is no logic.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
It's a pitiful investment, but at the end of the day it's good to see that the theatre is actually being used for something again which for once is actually half decent. Also no-one can deny that even a cheap dodgems is better than some crappy pay-to-play trampolines. It's a plus for the park's lineup, but only just.

My main problem with it though is how it makes the park even more incoherent theming wise and how damn cheap the whole thing looks. The management claim they have no need for themed areas anymore and build stand alone rides like SAW and The Swarm yet they create 'Angry Birds Land'. There is no logic.

I agree. Thorpe Park these days argue themselves as an amusement park, similar to Blackpool Pleasure Beach. So sadly, we are going to be seeing contrasting themes a lot more, which I think is a waste and probably an excuse to hide the difficulties it must have with its parent company. Angry Birds land just isn't a land anyway, more an L shaped section of the park. Its probably a "land" because the 4D cinema standalone would not have been enough to justify angry birds existence in the park. So paint some walls, change some signs, update the restaurant and shop, add a low budget ride, and you have the new attraction for 2014.

Some of the themes at Thorpe are actually excellent as well!

Such a waste. Move towards a cohesive/fluid set of themes - I'd ask, why NOT do that?

There isn't exactly a shortage of creative people. It's just laziness. Amusement parks like BPB are appropriate because the theme is THEY ARE AT THE SEASIDE. NOT a random London suburb.

They even have the start, "An Island like no other". That's great, so why not expand on that and make it it's own little world.

Oh, because you thrown some dumb outdated IP at it.

Thorpe seem to be a trialing a "Reserve N' Ride' system, as found here. At present, the system is only for a few selected dates [2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th June].

It's the ONLY way today? That can't be right, they can't just stop people queueing normally. They should put the BEST way if I'm honest, unless it is the ONLY way.

[/confused]

Couple of observations from my visit yesterday :-

The Shark at the 'Hotel' entrance does really look as hideous as the photographs I have seen suggest. Nothing beats actually seeing something close up with ones own eyes, but in this case I really wish I hadn't. ;D

Angry Birds Land is just kind of nothing special really. Cheap re-theme and tacky fairground Dodgems slotted in for good measure.

The park was very busy yesterday, noticed on leaving that the grass car park was also being used.
Queue times for the likes of Colossus, Saw, Stealth reached 90 minutes. Though late on in the day when Colossus was advertised at 80 minutes, noted the queue was only to the merge point, and turned out to be 20 minutes. Also at around the same time, SAW was advertised at 90, but was actually 1/2 that. Inferno, advertised at 55 minutes, really 35, but the member of staff selling fastrack outside the ride entrance was doing a roaring trade. :D

Stealth was operating on one train. Main queue for the best part was being shown as 85 minutes. Late afternoon the fastrack queue was to the entrance. I would imagine that it would of been one train FT one train main queue, so in effect what ever queue you were in, with only one train in operation, you would of had to endure the equivalent of 1 dispatch every 7 minutes, sometimes longer.

With the exception of the usual oversell of fastrack and selling fastrack at the entrance to rides which showed over inflated queue times, even though it was busy, everything seem to manage OK. I have been there on equally busy days and seen queues of 90 minutes+ for everything.

From past experience I was dreading getting out of the car park at the end of the day. Spent nearly an hour once getting to the exit barriers even though I was parked barely 50 feet way. Thankfully much easier this time, out in 5 minutes. ;D

I don't have a smartphone so this reserve and ride thing is really worrying me.

You can be issued with an 'ID Card' but you have to go back and forth to the Dome every time you want to queue for a new coaster. You can only queue for one coaster at a time.

1) Queues for other attractions will be hideous, 1b) People will be getting stuck in queues for other rides and miss their slots leading to aggro.

2) Queue for the 'queue' in the Dome will be hideous.

Does this mean they will not be selling Fasttrack tickets? I am going to ask on their facebook page...EDIT: They replied almost immediately with 'Yes'. So they are still going to sell Fasttrack.

This reservation system should be optional and REPLACING Fasttrack like it does at Disney parks. But there's no money in that, but I assume there's no money in a reservation-only system either!

They trialled this a few times last year too.

I would assume that if it ever gets a full rollout it will become optional rather than mandatory.

Thorpe Park Mania have posted a photo of the completed revised entrance to the park:

1526820_10154283835175624_8064090802381985060_n.jpg

Can't say I'm a fan but I'll wait until I see it myself next weekend. The whole entrance area needs completely knocking down and re-building so it actually looks appealing.

:)

It's an improvement... But kinda in the same way that sprinkling glitter over a turd would improve that too.... Doesn't mean i like it anymore.

I think it looks stupid in front of that building that pokes up behind it - total clash.

Would have been better to have that off to the side somewhere.

It's a giant TV with some really crappy signs next to it.

TheMan said:
I think it looks stupid in front of that building that pokes up behind it - total clash.

Would have been better to have that off to the side somewhere.

It's a giant TV with some really crappy signs next to it.

Looks no worse than the rooftop behind it. I think it is an improvement and the only other thing would be to demolish and start again which I wouldn't expect to happen.