• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Thorpe Park

Wonder why today is mega busy!?! Guess even though schools have gone back uni and colleges haven't yet!

Im looking forwards to fright nights as it will be change from Scarefest which i have done the past three years! The only thing which worries me i guess is all the reports of stupidly big queues during fright nights!

It's not busy in the sense that there's as many people there as what there would be on August Bank Holiday, it's because rides are being operated on reduced capacity.

Unfortunately, the view of Merlin is that there should be no 'good times' to go with no queues etc, so capacity is reduced on days with less guests in the park.

Actually i would say today is like ABH the car park is more than full.

Ride times are all 60mins or more which on a Monday in September shouldn't be this bad

Only Stealth is running at one train the rest seem are 2 trains

Well im off down Thorpe beginning of October, see what its like then! Plan to get bounce back tickets for fright nights :) £18 for fright nights sounds good to me!

Tom said:
It's not busy in the sense that there's as many people there as what there would be on August Bank Holiday, it's because rides are being operated on reduced capacity.

Unfortunately, the view of Merlin is that there should be no 'good times' to go with no queues etc, so capacity is reduced on days with less guests in the park.

The capacity reduction thing isn't Merlin that's Thorpe, Towers always run at capacity with the exception of Oblivion and Air... Thorpe always drop capacity to keep queues up for Fasttrack.

Well I thought they would have the decency to reply to text today when they ask you to text them. An explanation on why they were letting a whole train of fast trackers on then people who didn't seems excessive to me

I know why I rate AT so highly now

Sooo, Thorpe park are advertising online for a new head of PR....Wonder What the new candidate will bring to the park...it's seems like a lot of work for 40k a year!

As the nation’s Thrill Capital, THORPE PARK is home to some of Europe’s most extreme attractions, including THE SWARM, the UK’s first winged rollercoaster. Now, as we evolve into a resort, things are about to get bigger, higher and faster. Create the PR strategy behind the move and you’ll be right at the heart of the action. It doesn’t get more exciting than that.

About the role

Taking responsibility for directing, developing and delivering THORPE PARK’s long-term PR strategy, you’ll play a crucial part in our transition from a Theme Park to a full-on Resort. From creating the PR programme to the resort launch and beyond, you’ll have your hands full generating positive publicity across TV and print, radio and online. It’s a huge challenge and because we want the Resort to attract thrill seekers from all over Europe, you’ll be doing it on an international scale. It’ll take a lot of liaising within colleagues across Merlin Entertainments as well as calling in favours from every influential contact you know, plus some you don’t. All while developing our in-house press department and making an impact on our business that we’ll never forget.

About you

Influential, creative and driven, you’ll bring us an exceptional background in PR at manager level – and you’ll have the industry contacts to prove it. You’ll be an expert at what you do, deftly managing national and international media across a range of channels and showing strategic planning and leadership skills that are second to none. Beyond that, you’ll know your way around Microsoft Office and Mediadisk and will be confident presenting to senior management. You’ll also have an impressive body of work to your name and your case studies will show not only your ability to deliver successful campaigns, but your eye for detail and talent for multitasking.

About the benefits

Alongside a competitive salary of c.£40,000 - £45,000 pa, you can look forward to a great benefits package which includes 25 days’ holiday, a company pension scheme with Scottish Widows, private healthcare, an annual bonus (non-contractual) and, of course, a Merlin Magic pass which gives you 20 complimentary tickets to all of our attractions worldwide plus many other discounts on top brands like O2. Perhaps the biggest benefits of joining us, however, are the outstanding opportunities for career development.

About us

Merlin Entertainments is the leading name in location based, quality family entertainment. Now the world’s number two visitor attraction operator with over 92 attractions in 20 countries, we aim to deliver unique and memorable experiences to our 40 million visitors worldwide. Here in the UK alone our portfolio of brands includes Madame Tussauds, Alton Towers Resort, SEA LIFE, Warwick Castle and The EDF Energy London Eye.

Resort! Hahaha! The jokes on them!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It’ll take a lot of liaising within colleagues across Merlin Entertainments as well as calling in favours from every influential contact you know, plus some you don’t.

How exactly are you meant to call in favours from contacts you don't know?

Sam said:
It’ll take a lot of liaising within colleagues across Merlin Entertainments as well as calling in favours from every influential contact you know, plus some you don’t.

How exactly are you meant to call in favours from contacts you don't know?
Presumably favours owed to Thorpe/Merlin by Thorpe/Merlin's contacts, who you may not know.

Still, the person spec does have a fairly hefty weight towards knowing plenty of 'contacts' - it mentions it twice! You'd have thought a place like Thorpe - supposed top thrill park in the UK, and right up there in Europe - would have plenty of contacts already...

Loving that even in this supposedly high-position person spec, they still ask candidates to be fluent in Microsoft Office :p

Favours? They'll need some from Oxford Dictionaries to change the definition of resort to 'small, one day theme park'.

I can't get over this resort status. If you go on a good day, you can easily have done everything by 2 o clock, even with a couple of rerides. There's simply no atmosphere (or a bad one) so it really doesn't encourage hanging around (unlike say Towers which does maintain a pretty super atmosphere despite the flaws). I enjoy most of the coasters but after I've done them I just don't have the desire to stay longer than I have to.

The Dome is possible the worst room I've ever had the displeasure to be in - seriously, walking from the entrance into the park should be good, but you have to go through this crap arcade with obscenely loud pop music. I have no idea why anyone would eat in there, let alone think "Right. I'd like to go on holiday. I'll spend longer than necessary at Thorpe Park, and give myself the pleasure of not only an evening meal with loud dance music in The Dome, but also breakfast there too! I'm particularly excited about staying in a genuine metal shipping container for £100!"

Best of luck to whichever poor soul lands themselves the new marketing job. Trying to convince people in the UK, let alone "attracting thrill seekers from all over Europe" - who have experience of genuine, multi-day resorts with actual things to do in nice, high-quality environments - that Thorpe is a resort is a ridiculous challenge. It is genuinely farcical.

If we're gunna take this 'resort' Tagline seriously, I'm also quite intrigued by the Sentence "things are about to get bigger, higher and faster."

Thorpe Park is not a resort, apart from the park there is nothing to do there and you can easily do it in one day. And I seriously hope Merlin learn to stop using the term "Resort" when it comes to their theme parks. Thorpe park is not one and Legoland is definitely not one. None of the Merlin parks should be labelled as resorts.

Alton Towers and Gardaland together with the US Lego parks are resorts.

Heide and CWOA are pushing it.

Other Lego parks and Thorpe... no.

Thorpe Park

To be fair, I dont't think Legoland Windsor is any less a resort than CWOA, especially when you concentrate on their target market. For young kids (under 10 or so), it's a two-day park.

Perhaps we should email them, asking what their definition of resort is as it doesn't seem to tie in with the general publics lol

Thorpe Park

Spark said:
Perhaps we should email them, asking what their definition of resort is as it doesn't seem to tie in with the general publics lol
See, I've wondered about this: the view amongst enthusiasts is crystal-clear, but do the GP notice/care? Does it alter their perception at all?