• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Re: Re: Thorpe Park

Islander said:
Spark said:
Perhaps we should email them, asking what their definition of resort is as it doesn't seem to tie in with the general publics lol
See, I've wondered about this: the view amongst enthusiasts is crystal-clear, but do the GP notice/care? Does it alter their perception at all?

No. 99% of the things we talk about, the public couldn't give less of a toss.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Re: Thorpe Park

I think sometimes we go more indepth than most of the gp would think about it however in the term of changing Thorpe park to Thorpe park resort it's pretty noticeable.

The first thing the gp will say is where is the hotel? What is there to do if I stay over? Majority of them will compare it to AT resort and ask we're the golf and swimming pool is!

Sleeping for the next 3 years in a shopping container is not my idea of "resort"

Thorpe Park

Most people see resort and think hotel. That's it. I don't believe they then expect endless extra things to do or multiple gates or streets of entertainment or whatever.

Yes that's probably Merlin's doing but I genuinely believe that the public see resort and think hotel. That's it.

I'm sure that when the park shuts at 5 people will wonder what to do till the park opens the next day!

Thorpe Park

That could be argued for Alton as well... They can't really go in the waterpark, golf shuts at around the same time so they are left with the choice of eating and then sitting in the bar.

No different to Thorpe really. Park shuts and you have the option of eating a meal and sitting in a bar.

mrbrightside said:
That could be argued for Alton as well... They can't really go in the waterpark, golf shuts at around the same time so they are left with the choice of eating and then sitting in the bar.

No different to Thorpe really. Park shuts and you have the option of eating a meal and sitting in a bar.
Although Alton could open the Waterpark later (and the golf was open later when I went earlier in the year) they just don't, presumably for monetary reasons :mad:

Personally I disagree with the argument that a Theme Park Resort must have two parks. Anyone that's stayed at Europa Park’s Hotels can't deny that it is a resort and a seriously good one despite only having one park and no additional attractions like Waterparks. However Thorpe Park is a park and nothing else. Even when this temporary hotel is built it won't mean there's anything else to do, all it means is that the park will have a couple of beds were people can sleep. By this logic I could say the same thing about most airports but we don't catch a plane from the Stansted Resort.

Exactly what is and isn't a resort is hard to judge but I think AstroDan is right in his post above. Alton does just enough to feel like a resort, Thorpe definitely doesn't.

Thorpe Park

I agree with that and I agree with Dan's definition. However I think that the public just see the word resort as meaning 'theme park with hotel' and don't necessarily expect extra amenities and attractions to make the place feel more resort-like.

Alton is by far and away the only UK park to offer enough to make it a true multi-day destination but monetary reasons as you say seem to be cutting this down too.

Thorpe Park Resort may seem silly to us, especially when we know what the hotel (for now) will be, but I genuinely believe the public either won't notice the difference in name, or will see it and think hotel and nothing else.

Ah right, I see where you're coming from. I agree then and I'm sure most visitors will barely even register the name. In fact it doesn't really bother me what A park decide to call themselves. I'm just making it clear that they aren't one, which I think is the response most guests will give if you asked them, (Technically that's probably true for Alton as well but only because most day guests never even visit the resort, I didn't until last year).

Thorpe have added this to their facebook page today:

THORPE PARK! said:
Just can't wait to find out what our new horror attraction is for Fright Nights?! Don't go anywhere... first clue will be along later today right here....

Its about time, there is just over a month until the first day!

It seems a shame that they're going all out on branding every park as a resort, as it negates the quality of the parks which actually do deserve to be labelled as resorts.

I still don't think Alton Towers is a resort, Thorpe certainly isn't one unless you stretch the definition to breaking point.

djtruefitt said:

THORPE PARK! said:
Just can't wait to find out what our new horror attraction is for Fright Nights?! Don't go anywhere... first clue will be along later today right here....

THORPE PARK said:
Fright Nights Fever? Clue number 1. If you 'HATED' the mazes last year, then this will have you turning in your grave...

That was the first clue... Very vague so far :p

Universal and Disney do resorts. Merlin have yet to create one.

At Universal Orlando we have...

A choice of two different world class theme parks that both shut late in the evening, a water park (joint with Wet N' Wild), crazy golf, City Walk (which is open into the early hours of the morning, complete with bars, restaurants, food and merchandise stands, street entertainment, a cinema, live music, an arena and two outdoor stages) and a boat or bus service back to your hotel or one of their three amazing hotels (complete with pools, restaurants and more live entertainment throughout the day and night).

At Alton Towers we have a decent theme park that shuts early, two hotels with little entertainment, a water park and crazy golf that shuts early.

At Thorpe we have a decent theme park that shuts early, a dingy dome and soon there'll be some shipping containers as accommodation.

I know it's unfair to compare Universal or Disney to any of Merlin's UK parks, but none of them are even close to supplying enough to be considered as a resort, in my opinion. It comes across as being rather desperate that they're trying to pretend that their parks need to have resort status but are unwilling to actually make them true resorts. I'm not expecting Downtown Disney, 600 hotels, a golf course the size of the moon and a water park that would make Poseidon proud, but there could at least be some better entertainment and better opening hours. Once the park and golf are shut, you've got the choice of sitting in the bar until your bum hurts or going to bed.

Come on, Merlin!

Edit: What was I thinking? Of course it's fair to compare Merlin to Disney! They are only second to them, after all!

mrbrightside said:
djtruefitt said:

THORPE PARK! said:

THORPE PARK said:
Fright Nights Fever? Clue number 1. If you 'HATED' the mazes last year, then this will have you turning in your grave...

That was the first clue... Very vague so far :p

"HATED" = DEATH some sort of zombie/death/graveyard maze around the swarm area? Swarm station is a church after all!!!

Thorpe Park

I'm sorry, but how is the Thorpe Park app number 22 in the Apple App Store, under 'Entertainment' category?!
maveguje.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thorpe Park on Faffbook said:
Fright Nights fever? Clue number 2 is right here. Can you see what is there, or will this be yet another cross for you to bear...?

546263_10151198417370867_1123666312_n.jpg

Thorpe Park

T said:
I'm sorry, but how is the Thorpe Park app number 22 in the Apple App Store, under 'Entertainment' category?!
maveguje.jpg

either it's currently 22nd most popular free app or Merlin have paid to bump it up the list ;)

Thorpe Park

Danny said:
Thorpe Park on Faffbook said:
Fright Nights fever? Clue number 2 is right here. Can you see what is there, or will this be yet another cross for you to bear...?

546263_10151198417370867_1123666312_n.jpg
LADY GAGA IS PERFORMING JUDAS?!