• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Same every year!
The unsuspecting go to customer services, grumble, and get offered return trips or the odd free fasttrack...
And never, ever go to a theme park between the end of June and the middle of July ever again.

School trip season, end of June to the middle of July.
Not acceptable,but what the hell, they should be at school!
Why is anyone surprised, been the same every year for decades hasn't it?
Our Matt reported it very well first hand a few years ago, three rides in a day is quite usual.
Three rides in a day? You can manage 30 on an average day in December at Paultons. I wonder how the school trip season affects them.

Annual passes weren’t scanning at the entrance so everyone who had one was being funnelled through one entrance to be scanned by one member of staff. Most of the rollercoasters didn’t open until after 10.30 and the queues were pretty bad all day. Even the fastrack and RAP queues were struggling. Was chuffed to get on Nemesis as wasn’t expecting it to be running. First time on this version of Ghost Train but even though the staff were giving it their all, thought it was absolutely terrible. Even the VR version was better and that was rubbish.

Disgraceful they allow those numbers with this occurring problem, people go to theme parks to have fun and escape reality. If you don’t read forums you would have no idea, nor should you accept “what do you expect”. It is shameful business strategy, if the park wasn’t down south it wouldn’t survive. Same goes for Halloween which myself and so many others will never forgive them for and have never returned, which was over 5 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk as

Exactly the same every year.
You would think schools would have learned to spread the school trip season round a little to save the jams...or is that presuming actual intelligent planning by the schools.
Easier to just blame the park.
Rampant capitalism is great isn't it.
The only difference now is social media thoosies screaming from the rooftops, usually when they are not actually there.
Big queues in school trip season, only known it for thirty years or so...right back to the birth of Nemesis.

Exactly the same every year.
You would think schools would have learned to spread the school trip season round a little to save the jams...or is that presuming actual intelligent planning by the schools.
Easier to just blame the park.
Rampant capitalism is great isn't it.
The only difference now is social media thoosies screaming from the rooftops, usually when they are not actually there.
Big queues in school trip season, only known it for thirty years or so...right back to the birth of Nemesis.

Where in the world would you attend a theme park accidentally during there “school holiday season” only to complete 2 rides at best? If the park knows there issues with capacity on these days, they should be better prepared or not allow those numbers.

This scenario happens a hell of a lot of this park and should not be accepted, why should we return for free? That wasn’t our plan to book another day off, spend more fuel, buy more food. As a business model this just shows greed and not that much concern for customer satisfaction. This is where the park lets it self down and people do remember, just doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t think we should be blaming the schools either, are they meant to all communicate with each headteacher across the uk? I’m sorry I feel the responsibility comes entirely down to Merlin management across the board, there clearly aware they choose to do nothing. Yes they push out many old customers but unfortunately they will continue to get newbies/tourists due to its location.

Last edited:
The schools all decide to arrange their trips at the same time...they are permitted to do the trips through the last term.
Merlin know it is major cash cow time, and mop up profits as they see fit...good old capitalism.
As a business model it is spot on, for consumer satisfaction less so.
But customer satisfaction just doesn't matter, as you point out, there is a fresh bunch of newbies/tourists each season.
Put up, shut up, or complain and get freebies.
Nothing has changed in decades.

I'm not quite sure what people expect the parks to do? "Sorry don't bring all your students that are going to give us lots of money to the park"
Schools decide to do trips at the end of term when teachers are fed up and fancy a day off*, and it's the park to blame.
Park decide to limit the number of trips per day and schools get fed up and don't return as they can't get a suitable date, so lose money.
Clearly, the park have decided to focus on income over customer satisfaction, and if anybody complains, some complimentary tickets is a small price to pay when they reutrn and then buy food or drink and maybe even merch.
Customers have a great day on Complimentary tickets and decide to return next summer and the process repeats.
People are idiots is the key thing to remember.
*Sarcasm please do not get angry

I'm not quite sure what people expect the parks to do? "Sorry don't bring all your students that are going to give us lots of money to the park"
Schools decide to do trips at the end of term when teachers are fed up and fancy a day off*, and it's the park to blame.
Park decide to limit the number of trips per day and schools get fed up and don't return as they can't get a suitable date, so lose money.
Clearly, the park have decided to focus on income over customer satisfaction, and if anybody complains, some complimentary tickets is a small price to pay when they reutrn and then buy food or drink and maybe even merch.
Customers have a great day on Complimentary tickets and decide to return next summer and the process repeats.
People are idiots is the key thing to remember.
*Sarcasm please do not get angry
More "People are Sheeple"...they tend to prefer to gather in crowds.

Well, yes? All parks have a capacity and don't sell any more tickets when they reach that. Thorpe did exactly this yesterday, they just did it far far too late.

And a coach full of school kids doesn't just happen, it'll be planned for weeks or months. The schools will book what availability there is even if it is exactly when they want, and the park can incentivise visits at times of less demand to spread the crowds. It's the dynamic thing they keep saying they are doing.

I've been on park one day like yesterday and it is inexcusable.

Queued two hours for Stealth yesterday, it was running one train all day with the second on the transfer track in no state to run. Elements of the restraints exposed.

The worst part, the batcher was letting all of the fastrack and the access pass queue in before the main queue.

IMG_8432.JPG