• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I get that I should’ve checked first, and they had a good reason, but the fact that they lied to me about getting it back is what pisses me off. If I knew I wouldn’t get it back, I would’ve called the people who dropped me off to pick it back up again. They would understand, it would be fine. Heindsight is in 20:20 vision, and i just did what I was told and got screwed over for it.
Lets not confuse lying with incompetence... lying implies that they took it from you, said you could have it back whilst having full knowledge that you couldn't. Far more likely, they've just blundered and lost it (though tbf as others state above, you wouldn't expect to retrieve other contraband that's confiscated on entry).

It seems legally questionable to me to take an item from somebody on entry with the promise to return it later, and then not do so.

This is not an item that is illegal to possess.

"You must wear appropriate clothing (including a top and shoes) at all times whilst at the Attraction. Full facemasks, even if they are part of a costume, are not permitted at any time. If you are wearing clothing that is indecent or likely to cause intimidation or offence in any way, you will be refused entry or removed from the Attraction. Full face masks, stilettos and loose clothing or footwear are not permitted on some rides due to health and safety reasons."

"All items, belongings and other property brought into the Attraction by you are at your own risk and we accept no liability for any loss or damage to such property. As such, we recommend that you do not bring valuables to the Attraction."

Standard get out of jail free card in the waiver. As it's private property to boot, and entry is dependent on consent of the terms (even if you haven't read them, as they are readily available), basically not a leg to stand on.

Further, if the item was returned to the owner, who then used the item in a street mugging on the way home, would the park be liable as an accessory to the crime?
Dangerous or dubious items in schools and care homes are often returned to parents or full guardians, not the actual owner.
Park wouldn’t be liable, nothing illegal about owning a Halloween costume. It’s the mugging that’s the crime. School is different as under 16s.

Standard get out of jail free card in the waiver. As it's private property to boot, and entry is dependent on consent of the terms (even if you haven't read them, as they are readily available), basically not a leg to stand on.
I'm not sure I agree, since the staff member who took the item said it would be returned. Had they said "It will not be returned", or even "We will keep it and return it later but it's at your own risk", that's a different matter.

That's what makes all the difference because you're no longer making an informed consent

I'm not sure I agree, since the staff member who took the item said it would be returned. Had they said "It will not be returned", or even "We will keep it and return it later but it's at your own risk", that's a different matter.

That's what makes all the difference because you're no longer making an informed consent
That is a point, and you guys are being very helpful as a lawyer substitute, but I might want to reiterate that when I went back to get it, they said they had “locked up” for the night and couldn’t get it out. Make of that what you will. The real question is if security has the keys or not. Still pretty incompetent to say I could have it back as shouldn’t they know when they lock up at night? So soon too, I left straight at 9, precisely when most people leave too.

Park wouldn’t be liable, nothing illegal about owning a Halloween costume. It’s the mugging that’s the crime. School is different as under 16s.
And for this, the park would not be liable, I agree, but if there was one you’d know damn well the local, If not national media would be well over it. I know It is already known as the stabby-stabby chav paradise already, but with the rebrand I think they are starting to move away from that. I hope

Maybe it’s good that Thorpe takes the huge chav blow for the uk, eh? imagine if legoland was rife full of them!

Thorpe is getting alot of stick online today for ridiculous que times and general overcrowding. I'm sure it's all within park limits but it smacks of greed by Merlin letting too many people into the park. There comes a tipping point where it just ruins everyones experience. Fright Nights has become such a popular event they seem to be loosing sight of the overall customer experience. Merlin really does lack genuine competition especially down south.

Reactions: Ash
It's worthy noting saw the ride only runs single rider when there's someone assigning seats and they don't always have someone doing that, I find it's completely random you, doesn't matter if it's busy or quiet just dependant on how the staffs rota's align probably.

Me personally I don't mind the trade off too much cause it's nice just to be able to walk to bay 3 and get the front row and the preshow as long as the queue isn't too big.

Some of the posts I've seen from people who went yesterday are quite something. The park wasn't even officially "sold out" or at capacity either!

What about the scare mazes? When I went two weeks ago, even though we went maze to maze, the time felt tight with the queue times. Hopefully everyone gets what they paid for, couldn’t imagine paying and only getting two done because the queues where so massive!

Thorpe is getting alot of stick online today for ridiculous que times and general overcrowding. I'm sure it's all within park limits but it smacks of greed by Merlin letting too many people into the park. There comes a tipping point where it just ruins everyones experience. Fright Nights has become such a popular event they seem to be loosing sight of the overall customer experience. Merlin really does lack genuine competition especially down south.
I think that goes for all Merlin parks.

Fright Nights has been hell on earth during half term week for over 10 years now.

It never changes, I’m not defending them btw, just saying it’s been this way for years.

When the mazes were free queues of three hours were normal on the busiest dates. Now they charge that perhaps lowers the queues to more like 90mins, but those people that aren’t in the maze queues are now in the ride queues. They have to go somewhere.

Just best to avoid going really.

Seems today is just another round of usual Thorpe shenanigans.

From: https://x.com/cdjskw/status/1716426452663484731?s=46&t=zG_i8R9vX93ZZU0RljfzWA

Last edited:
Fright Nights has been hell on earth during half term week for over 10 years now.

It never changes, I’m not defending them btw, just saying it’s been this way for years.

When the mazes were free queues of three hours were normal on the busiest dates. Now they charge that perhaps lowers the queues to more like 90mins, but those people that aren’t in the maze queues are now in the ride queues. They have to go somewhere.

Just best to avoid going really.

Seems today is just another round of usual Thorpe shenanigans.

From: https://x.com/cdjskw/status/1716426452663484731?s=46&t=zG_i8R9vX93ZZU0RljfzWA

It’s quite annoying, as I think fright nights is such a good event, it’s just the worst when the worst thing is put in - other people.
Maybe it’s worth going to jacks event one year. Pricey but adding up, seems worth the money. Maybe if it’s on a weekend next time though.

This is my big problem with Thorpe Park. No matter what ride hardware they put in the place......it will still be attended by obnoxious horrible brats.

I don't tend to visit very often given I live 200 miles away but when I do I very rarely have a good time. The last time I visited I left early on the second day and went into London City centre for the afternoon instead.

I will try and get down to the park next year on a really quiet off peak day to get plenty of rides in on the new coaster. That will be my fill.