• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

1.5 million is average of 7317 a day so I reckon with Hyperia they could reach 1.9 million (9268 a day)
That would be a very significant increase, but it’s not impossible. Thorpe Park, and others, have certainly had bigger increases from new rides before! And this is a UK record breaker on a scale that we haven’t had in quite a few years; The Smiler at Alton Towers increased attendance by nearly 200,000 in 2013, and that ride didn’t open until nearly June!

I believe the park themselves forecasted in the planning application that the increase would be somewhere in the realms of just below 200,000, which would take the figures to around 1.6-1.7 million. That could have been the park being modest and trying to understate how popular they think the ride will be, but they said repeatedly in the planning application that they don’t see the 2009-2011 peak of 2.1-2.2 million being hit again.

That Thorpe Park Twitter admin needs to be reassigned to something out of the public view. Yesterday would've been the best time but better late than never.
As much as I like the new logo and whole brand identity that Thorpe Park announced, I’ll admit that I don’t think the sarcastic replies are a good look at all.

Having fun with the social media strategy to a degree is OK, but I do think Thorpe went a bit far with some of the sarcastic/defensive replies last night.

It reminds me a bit of that spell Alton Towers had a few years back where they had some very poorly received social media replies. Does anyone remember Alton Towers replies like “tut, tut, tut” and “it’s better than nothing”?

That Thorpe Park Twitter admin needs to be reassigned to something out of the public view. Yesterday would've been the best time but better late than never.
I've just seen this which I think crosses the line from being just banter to a bit rude and unnecessary:

1701429027274.png
Admittedly I don't know what he means about the fruitcake and female bit (although I can hazard a guess), and that could be taken as being rude. But never the less, I don't think there is a need for Thorpe's reply, very unprofessional. They should be rising above any bad comments and insults and remain professional with a hint of humour. They're trying to be sarcastic and funny but just coming across as borderline facetious. Not a good look in my book. And if you read all the replies, most are having a go at Darryl and on the side of Thorpe! (I can't link to his reply but it is in this post )

Is this likely to open on a weekend come think? Thinking of doing my first coaster opening day since AIR 2002 (yes I know, I’m decrepit) and wondering how busy it’s likely to be.

I've just seen this which I think crosses the line from being just banter to a bit rude and unnecessary:

1701429027274.png
Admittedly I don't know what he means about the fruitcake and female bit (although I can hazard a guess), and that could be taken as being rude. But never the less, I don't think there is a need for Thorpe's reply, very unprofessional. They should be rising above any bad comments and insults and remain professional with a hint of humour. They're trying to be sarcastic and funny but just coming across as borderline facetious. Not a good look in my book. And if you read all the replies, most are having a go at Darryl and on the side of Thorpe! (I can't link to his reply but it is in this post )

I’m not sure how you can read that exchange and come to the conclusion that it’s Thorpe Park who are in the wrong.

That guy sounds like an absolute beaut and deserves some stick for the fact that he signs off each and every post he makes as ‘from Daryl Daza Morgan’ before you get into the content of what he’s actually saying.

Is this likely to open on a weekend come think? Thinking of doing my first coaster opening day since AIR 2002 (yes I know, I’m decrepit) and wondering how busy it’s likely to be.
It’s very hard to tell at this stage. Parks often do go for a weekend, but at the same time, Thorpe have done Thursday or Friday before.

1701429027274.png

I don't see the need for brands to try and 'hit back' at criticism at all. No benefit to it IMO.

Darryl is also being rude, but he's a person, not a company.

Thinking of doing my first coaster opening day since AIR 2002 (yes I know, I’m decrepit)
But that was only 11 yea..........................oh............ yes we are getting old. :(

I actually don't mind the banter from the Thorpe social media team. Of course it's not very professional, but at least it lets you know what to expect when visiting the place.

I’m not sure how you can read that exchange and come to the conclusion that it’s Thorpe Park who are in the wrong.

That guy sounds like an absolute beaut and deserves some stick for the fact that he signs off each and every post he makes as ‘from Daryl Daza Morgan’ before you get into the content of what he’s actually saying.
Maybe I didn't make it clear in my post. I'm not saying Darryl was not being rude and isn't in the wrong but Thorpe should not be lowering themselves to the same level in their replies. It's unprofessional and not a good look. They should've either ignored it or replied with a more sensible reply explaining their reasoning. Generally I don't like "stock" replies when people ask companies questions, but in these examples, I think they'd be the better option.

Unfortunately the current social team at Thorpe chase the engagement by doing their sarcastic replies rather than think twice about what they post.

For every sarcastic reply they usual get likes and comments from others which encourage more of it.

Last edited:
I'm all for the sassy replies. Is it really upsetting anyone?

Don't be a kn*b in the first place and you won't get a sarcastic reply.
People aren't being kn*bs they're just telling Thorpe how shite that logo is. They deserve the criticism because the logo is bland, boring and has no identity. I'd expect better from a school student than this logo

People aren't being kn*bs they're just telling Thorpe how shite that logo is. They deserve the criticism because the logo is bland, boring and has no identity. I'd expect better from a school student than this logo
That Banana man comes across pretty aggressive and appears to be making inappropriate accusations at one of the people in the video, and I thought Thorpe's reply was actually very funny.

I haven't been in this thread for a while, did I miss anything?.....oh......

I think the new logo looking like you can simply just put the letters 'FM' on the end of it and pass it off as a radio station, or insert the word 'Subtitles' in the corner and you have yourself a title card for a daytime ITV chat show is only part of the problem. Ultimately this bizzare decision should just fade into the back ground in years to come (it's so boring, that it shouldn't have a problem doing this by design).

But the reason it's generated so many pages of discussion on here and is doing the rounds so prominently on social media, is that the park were stupid enough to hype it up as much as they did. You need to do this when you're spending £20m on a rollercoaster. But blurred out images and build-up videos just to pull the curtain down on something that looks like someone just typed on Microsoft word 5 minutes beforehand? Really? What were they thinking? Had they just changed the logo on the website one day without telling anyone, I doubt it would have attracted half as much attention.

The only other time I can think of when a company did similar was when First Group changed their First Great Western branding (which actually didn't look too disimalar to this new Thorpe logo) to the new GWR name, branding and livery. They hammered the message home as to why they did it, took clear inspiration from the GWR of the past, got a government minister to reveal it painted on the side of an HST and put literature out with loads of stuff with corporate jargain saying things like "Not just a name change" with promises of how awesome they were now going to be, blah blah blah. That worked and it stuck because what they were revealing was something far more significant.

This is a complete marketing fail as it puts a heavy reliance on the people you are revealing it to actually liking what you've done. They've overhyped this so much that all this was inevitable.

Last edited:
So, thorpes new ‘logo’ turns out to be a stock font with just a few minor changes to the letter ‘O’

Good lord, it actually is! I knew the new logo would be bland, but using a stock font on DaFont? You've got to be pulling me leg, right!? That is downright lazy. Not something you'd expect from a professional company.