• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built - The Crashpad

Who authorises these decisions, who in their right mind thought this was a good idea and who's going to pay money to sleep in a Maersk container?!

electricBlll said:
BigAl said:
Like some have already said, they could have thrown nets over them, or slapped red paint up them to look like blood. There could have been burn and scratch marks all over them, exploded shells on the top and around the bases, a few more wrecked vehicles, a mess hall style cafe and a big air raid siren (for display only, obviously). Finish it off with a Czech Hedgehog and wire perimeter and it could have been much... less depressing.
Really?! The hotel you describe sounds far more depressing to me! Grim, ugly, off-putting, humourless, etc...

Perfect for Thorpe Park! Why didn't they think of that?
I don't mean a recreation from a war, obviously. :p As if the current style isn't enough to drive people into a deep depression! :L It was simply a quick idea on how to play to the... let's call it "strengths" of this shipping container hotel. Humor comes in smaller, subtle details whereas I just took roughly a minute to create an outline for a theme. If you were to describe somewhere like X-Sector from what's most obvious about the area then no humor would come across there either.

I'm thinking along the lines of an ott movie scene mixed with theme park and historical factors really. Though it can't be too dark, it'd need to be balanced so as not to be too goofy or too dark. Though the destruction theme is the most obvious aspect, looking slightly deeper reveals other interesting elements to the concept than from what's immediately obvious. There could be references to old military technology, battles and events to give it an extra, more informative dimension as well.

If it's humor mixed with post-apocalyptic sinister that you're after then look no further than the names of nuclear missiles, or the way that devastating war machines have shark motifs painted across their fronts which give them both a cartoon like image and also a more unnerving element by turning something designed to kill and maim into something to laugh at or look-up to (depending on whether you think those designs are eye-catching and attractive or not).

I could go on but I think there's enough there to show I wasn't on about creating a scene from Saving Private Ryan or something along those lines! :p

While I've only seen a couple of photos of this hotel so far I can see its clearly an effort to cut costs later on, When they FINALY build their real hotel they will already have a site office for the construction workers sorted.

As far as I can see that's the only explanation.

I love your ideas BigAl! Like an emergency shelter for victims of the Swarms destruction kind of thing going on. As it stands it's the most ghastly thing I've ever seen at a theme park. :(

Funky_Monk said:
Who authorises these decisions, who in their right mind thought this was a good idea and who's going to pay money to sleep in a Maersk container?!

Same person as who thought Vengeance was a good idea for Dungeons?

Least we should look back in 5yrs time or so and be like "oh thorpe".

If you were climb up on the roof do you think you could reach the lake with a running jump?

The scary thing is that I'm only half kidding. They are so awful that those images have actually inspiring me to want to create wanton destruction.

If they start calling it "Thorpe Park Resort" because of this then I'm just going to give up altogether.

I suspect that they'd have started the season as 'Thorpe Park Resort', if there were plans to change the branding. Doesn't mean that they can't still change, of course, but I think it's unlikely.

Alton Towers barely qualifies as a "Resort" with 2 hotels, a golf course, a water park, and of course the park itself. Both Chessington and Legoland are definitely not resorts but at least the hotels are nice. Thorpe Park is just far to small and the hotel looks like a prison, and that to me is not a resort.

Scott said:
josht said:
I don't think I can say anything without swearing, but anything that can be lifted and moved whilst you sleep scares me a bit
Don't forget the big ol' doors on the end... Wonder how many people will try and open them after a few drinks.
Well if you need a window who knows :)

Just been shown this:

417532_475263362528968_1033451339_n.jpg

"ultimate" :p

It's OK guys! The visible ends of shipping containers by the stairs has now been covered by a sheet of plywood with a giant sticker on it!

Every overnight stay you've dreamed of rolled into one.

Not ever has so much gone into creating an overnight stay.

Thorpe Parks over night stays deemed too crazy by the government.

All guests must sign a disclaimer allowing them to have the most ultimate experience ever.

OMG, that image... we keep saying it can't get any worse but somehow they keep rising to the challenge and making things even more tragic!

:HEADDESK: Oh Thorpe... Why, yes I know it is a "test" to see wether or not to build a permanent hotel. But in all seriousness, this won't prove anything. Who wants to stay in a metal box with walls only a few centimetres thick. God thats going to be cold!

Exactly. Many people would gladly stay in a real hotel at the price Thorpe are charging. Or even a "snooze Box" at a reasonable price. But not a shipping container at luxury hotel prices!

On my way to the park today, even my taxi driver was mocking this project. Unpromted by me, I might add.

alee298 said:
:HEADDESK: Oh Thorpe... Why, yes I know it is a "test" to see wether or not to build a permanent hotel. But in all seriousness, this won't prove anything. Who wants to stay in a metal box with walls only a few centimetres thick. God thats going to be cold!
I'm not denying the rooms are in a metal box, but from the looks of the furnishings, they'll be high quality - and I would highly doubt they don't have insulation. Temperature won't be an issue...

Equally, they still don't look good - but at least the view of them is *slightly* better now with the graphic and the walkway roof.:

549257_475260769195894_1579182645_n.jpg

Also, can I ask where all this premium pricing has come from? I quote myself from earlier in the thread:

Just been looking up prices myself and it isn't all that bad if you need tickets. Was getting quoted £120 for a 1 night stay in April with 2 days of park entry. So £60 a head for two days in a theme park, with somewhere to kip and your breakfast in the morning seems alright to me!

DiogoJ42 said:
It's OK guys! The visible ends of shipping containers by the stairs has now been covered by a sheet of plywood with a giant sticker on it!

Ohh thank-god, i thought for a moment that it was going to be a right mess of a place.... but now they have that sticker its def a 5* venue for me :p

Saw the Crash Pad from a distance last weekend and it looked an absolute joke. Just hope Towers doesn't get ideas.